Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • TBF I don't think I have seen the Surfer one, the first was so bad I'm surprised it even got a sequel.

I have completely forgotten the original, thankfully.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The original original is still the best. At least I laughed a lot anyway.
  • g.man wrote:
    Serviceable films for kids. The last one on the other hand...

If you look at them as kids films, they work, yeah. I thought they were meant to be aimed at teenagers (for who the latest it's a far better film, despite being a turd) but there's a good chance I'm wrong about that, now I think of it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just to temper JR's post, here's the Hollywood Reporter article that collected all of those twitter reactions that also contains some more reasoned, less hyperbolic posts.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-infinity-war-premiere-first-reactions-1105028
  • I’m realky looking forwards to seeing it, but then I’m a fan of the MCU.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Just to temper JR's post, here's the Hollywood Reporter article that collected all of those twitter reactions that also contains some more reasoned, less hyperbolic posts.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-infinity-war-premiere-first-reactions-1105028

I got as far as the PTA comparison and gave up
  • I’m not sure what your opinion is on these superhero films, DS, you’ve never mentioned them before.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    They're good films, Grem
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    For context, we are booked in to see it on Saturday, but let's always be wary of nothing but positivity
  • They're good films, Grem

I fucking knew it. Hook, line and sinker mate.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    For context, we are booked in to see it on Saturday, but let's always be wary of nothing but positivity
    God yes - if any film outside of star wars brings out the raving fanboy lunatics it’s these ones.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Totally
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No, correction, the DC ones. Because anyone who is actually actvitely defending those films is completely blinkered, even in terms of basic narrative construction
  • Hello.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hello?!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If you are looking r.e. DC movies, I'm gonna post three things in spoilers below that are so basic I can't think you would consider any of them acceptable, especially as you're a very smart, well read guy.

Spoiler:

They might not be the worst films ever, but to sit and celebrate these in spite of obvious flaws strikes me as rampant positivity or at worst, fanboyism.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I found wonder woman pretty okay. But as one of the few superman (comic) fans on this forum, I cannot defend turning the ultimate blue sky hero into the weapon of mass destruction tack that Snyder took in man of steel.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I found wonder woman pretty okay. But as one of the few superman (comic) fans on this forum, I cannot defend turning the ultimate blue sky hero into the weapon of mass destruction tack that Snyder took in man of steel.

I'm not a huge Superman fan, but yes, exactly.  If you're going to make a movie about Superman, he has to be a figure of positivity, hope, and decency.  Otherwise there's no point.  Supe's weakness isn't Kryptonite, it's that he is bound by a need to do The Right Thing.  (Which is why Lex is the ultimate foil.  No powers, but no morals either.)

(There are of course some good/great Superman stories that subvert this version of him - but they only work because they're explicitly, knowingly subverting it.  Snyder appears to have thought that people liked Superman just because he could fly, and was really good at hitting people.)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    YES EXACTLY TIN YOUVE DONE IT AGAIN
  • All I can say is that while I was aware of some issues in Batman V Superman, at least the cinematic cut, I didn't care about them. The movie did something that no other Batman V Superman crossover ever did as well: which is to make you believe that the two can have meaningful exchanges/battles, and that they are not just in a crossover because they drive sales. I hate pretty much every single crossover in the history of DC - never really read the Marvel comics for a prolonged period of time. I found the God vs Man to be compelling, interesting and smartly done, especially Lex Luthor's role in the thing. I loved the performances throughout and it looked great. It's not fanboyism in any sense, nor is it rampant positivity, it's understanding that art can do some things very badly but enough other things to make it worthwhile. That's just maximizing my enjoyment, and not being ashamed of liking an unpopular thing just because it's out of step with the consensus of what I should be feeling. I was ready to HATE Batman V Superman, and I didn't. I actually kind of loved it, so seeing as I did enjoy the hell out of it, it would be disingenuous and cowardly of me to deny it. I've read Batman and Superman comics for over twenty years, on the regular, and I know when I see a shit event/crossover - Knightfall is dire and breaks the how to build a feud 101 in major ways, Crisis on Infinite Earths/Infinite Crisis/Final Crisis are atrocious, shameless money grabs - and I didn't feel this was one. It changed my mind about Snyder - who I didn't particularly like before -and about the wisdom of hating crossovers before I see the goods.

Suicide Squad has a bunch of issues, but I was carried away by the performances of Will Smith, Leto and Margot Robbie. It's not a good movie, but it has some fun things in it.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • anigif_enhanced-22137-1450692207-7.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I guess that's the thing. I'm not looking to fully dunk on anything - Affleck's batman and Wayne was a tank as he should be and I loved him , but to say any of the others barring wonder woman approach even 3/5 stars would, I think be to be going rather overboard.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think you really have to go a stretch with suicide squad to be honest. Performances can't hold up a non existent plot, threat or resolution.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And g, he's entitled to his opinion, which is well put. I just think that calling these movies great, or even good, should be far beyond any avid viewer's wheelhouse.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I think you really have to go a stretch with suicide squad to be honest. Performances can't hold up a non existent plot, threat or resolution.
    But they clearly did, because I liked it.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    And g, he's entitled to his opinion, which is well put. I just think that calling these movies great, or even good, should be far beyond any avid viewer's wheelhouse.
    Not particularly interested in arguing for objective worth, just that I enjoyed Batman V Superman very much, and the philosophy that grabbing enjoyment is a selfish act which has treated me well thus far.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And no one can argue with that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As tin put it better than me, my superman is not one of rainy skies and violent acts, it's the one of blue optimism and the hope that we can strive to be better. Snyder doesn't want that superman, so I don't want his superman.
  • So this year is the 50th anniversary of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    To celebrate, the studio has struck brand spanking new 70mm prints for re-release screenings which begin in May. Presumably there will be screenings in the UK. If you've never seen it on the big screen, then now is the time.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 50 years, that's insane.
    I always thought it was from the mid 70s and even then incredibly far ahead of it's time.
    That's 9 years before Star Wars, 11 years before Alien.

It is from the same year as bloody Chitty Bloody Chitty Bang Bang.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!