Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • regmcfly wrote:
    As tin put it better than me, my superman is not one of rainy skies and violent acts, it's the one of blue optimism and the hope that we can strive to be better. Snyder doesn't want that superman, so I don't want his superman.
    I think that’s one of the reasons why, despite absolutely loving DC comics and specifically Justice League (Rock of Ages might be my single favourite story of all time), I have almost zero interest in these films. They’re made by people who not only completely fail to understand the characters, but seem to have ignored anything that makes them work on the page. I couldn’t even manage 45 minutes of Batsoup before I turned it off and I never turn films off.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Live, you better not be dissin Chitty.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • This dis is real, believe!

Nah, more pointing out what the other options were the year it came out.
    Planet of the Apes and Barbarella were also the same year, classics in their own right but seem ancient compared to 2001.
  • g.man wrote:
    So this year is the 50th anniversary of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    To celebrate, the studio has struck brand spanking new 70mm prints for re-release screenings which begin in May. Presumably there will be screenings in the UK. If you've never seen it on the big screen, then now is the time.]

Hopefully they’ll have it on down in Bradford. Probably worth a trip.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's on in Edinburgh. I'm definitely off to see it
  • Hmm, Bradford’s 6 miles closer, but it is Bradford.
  • Infinity reviews are out!

Sounding really really good!!!
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • 5 stars Empire, 5 stars Total Film, Bradshaw 4/5
  • Total Film:
    The Avengers latest stand feels well worth the wait. It’s not perfect, but it goes to a place most tentpole movies wouldn’t dream of, while retaining the scale, excitement, and humour you’ve come to demand from an MCU movie
    Empire:
    Marvel has solved their third-act problem and villain problem and then some. However prepared you feel, you are not ready for Thanos. But then, neither are our heroes.
  • Well that's me sold.
  • It’s not perfect, but it goes to a place most tentpole movies wouldn’t dream of, 

There's a lot of places those movies don't go to, uh
  • Is it horse incest? It's horse incest. Tony Stark, the Iron Man, makes a horse incest beam.
  • I watched El Topo tonight and the term, 'constant incest' certainly raised a chuckle.
  • Hulk eats all the tentpoles.
  • The Wakandafolk go bowling, quietly.
  • Man's gonna be all over her album when it drops.
  • Alice Through the Looking Glass

Who commissioned this?
    Who agreed to make a sequel to that garbo Burton movie when they clearly cost an absolute fortune to make?
    What the fuck happened to Depp and Burton? They used to make interesting films once.

edit: oh good Sacha Baron Cohen is in it, a sure sign of quality over the past decade. He is doing an accent.
  • What did people think of Black Panther by the way? I watched it the other day and while I quite enjoyed it, I felt Luke Cage did the whole thing much better. Soundtrack is great though.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Brooks wrote:
    It’s not perfect, but it goes to a place most tentpole movies wouldn’t dream of, 
    It’s Bradford. I hear they have a cinema.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    What did people think of Black Panther by the way? I watched it the other day and while I quite enjoyed it, I felt Luke Cage did the whole thing much better. Soundtrack is great though.

I bothered to see it and regret that decision.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    What did people think of Black Panther by the way? I watched it the other day and while I quite enjoyed it, I felt Luke Cage did the whole thing much better. Soundtrack is great though.

I wouldn't say Luge Cage did it better as Cage is going for a quite different thing. And Cage's acting is a bit suspect at times... although I did like the series as a whole.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Although I didn't get around to my pre-IW Marvel marathon (I totally will before 4) I did do Homecoming last night (still brilliant) and doing Cap 2 tonight I think.

The hype is getting to me. Be warned - I may force everyone to do a complete Marvel ranking in the coming days.
  • JonB wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    It’s not perfect, but it goes to a place most tentpole movies wouldn’t dream of, 
    It’s Bradford. I hear they have a cinema.

Proper 70mm imax cinema no less. Still, I don’t think even they’d risk a trip.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Although I didn't get around to my pre-IW Marvel marathon (I totally will before 4) I did do Homecoming last night (still brilliant) and doing Cap 2 tonight I think.

The hype is getting to me. Be warned - I may force everyone to do a complete Marvel ranking in the coming days.
    I watched Winter Soldier at the weekend - I think it’s my favourite Avengers film.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • JRPC wrote:

Bad idea, we'll spend the whole time arguing about whether I'm allowed to include Deadpool.
  • Its def one of the best.

I think the ending lets it down with a generic-cg smashathon.

But the Russo's totally nailed the character.
  • AJ wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    Bad idea, we'll spend the whole time arguing about whether I'm allowed to include Deadpool.

We won't. 

You're not.
  • We will because I am since it's the second best one.
  • Be interesting to see what happens with DP with the Disney buy-out.

He's really on only thing Fox has really found success with recently, and he's also a character who could conceivably make the jump as-is, with Disney and Feige references aplenty.
  • I have misgivings about anything Disney is involved with..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!