Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • It's no True Lies, but Last Action Hero is a much maligned romp.  It's the Waterworld of Arnie films.
  • Nah, I liked Waterworld. Hopper's villain is wonderful.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Last Action Hero is great fun – Charles Dance chewing the scenery at every turn is a particular joy.

As for Waterworld, I'll be honest I haven't seen it since its cinematic release. I've a peverse curiousity about it. Surely it can't be a wonder-bad as I remember? Might have to see if it's on Netflix...

Anyhoo, new (to me) flick – my wife made me watch The Book Thief. Oh my. I mean, it's not brilliant or terrible. It's okay. Well acted, nicely shot etc. But the central conceit with the narrator annoyed me and it felt like the film-makers were hitting deliberate "BE SAD HERE" notes. If I want a sad film, I'll stick to Shadowlands or House Of Sand And Fog, I think.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Woo
  • Oow
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Shamon!
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's no True Lies, but Last Action Hero is a much maligned romp.  It's the Waterworld of Arnie films.

I kind of like Last Action Hero - it's extremely silly, but it knows it (even if the studio didn't).  I kind of mentally file it alongside stuff like Gremlins 2 - a deliberate cartoonish send up of what came before (in the case of Last Action Hero - Schwarzenegger himself).

Whilst True Lies is a stinking pile of misogynistic guff.
  • Possibly.

EDIT: DAMMIT TIN.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I watched Last Action Hero last year for the first time since it came out and I quite enjoyed it. It's self aware nonsense and it's actually all the better for being a parody of a type of film that's no longer really a thing. It gets a weird kind of pseudo nostalgia thing.
  • Kow wrote:
    I watched Last Action Hero last year for the first time since it came out and I quite enjoyed it. It's self aware nonsense and it's actually all the better for being a parody of a type of film that's no longer really a thing. I gets a weird kind of pseudo nostalgia thing.

It's brilliantly awful. But good. But terrible. But great.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I kind of mentally file it alongside stuff like Gremlins 2 - a deliberate cartoonish send up of what came before (in the case of Last Action Hero - Schwarzenegger himself).

Gremlins 2 would place highly on a my underrated sequels list.  I wasn't keen at the time, but it's almost brilliant.
  • Gremlins 2 is genuiniley brilliant. It’s a live action cartoon, and full of top tier gags like the Gremlin who picks up a bottle of acid that is labelled “do not throw at face” sniggers, and proceeds to throw it at another gremlin’s face. Dumb and puerile but ridiculously fun.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Gremlins 2 is genuiniley brilliant. It’s a live action cartoon, and full of top tier gags like the Gremlin who picks up a bottle of acid that is labelled “do not throw at face” sniggers, and proceeds to throw it at another gremlin’s face...
    ... who then proceeds to hiss and then raise up a mask and becomes the phantom of the opera, which is then called back later on with organ music playing and the full cape schtick IIRC?
  • djchump wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Gremlins 2 is genuiniley brilliant. It’s a live action cartoon, and full of top tier gags like the Gremlin who picks up a bottle of acid that is labelled “do not throw at face” sniggers, and proceeds to throw it at another gremlin’s face...
    ... who then proceeds to hiss and then raise up a mask and becomes the phantom of the opera, which is then called back later on with organ music playing and the full cape schtick IIRC?

Yep.  It's knowingly ridiculous, and I love it for it.

• Yeah I would much rather watch Gremlins 2 than the original.  It's so daft.
  • I watched Calibre. It were quite good.
  • Has anyone seen that nazi-arresting Netflix jobby with Oscar Issac and Nick Kroll in it? Looks pretty good from the trailer. Operation Final, I think it's called.
  • Watched Split today. Pretty damn good, with some genuinely amazing stuff from McAvoy - couldn't believe ut was a M.Night film as it wasn't utter shit.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I’ve been meaning to get round to that. I really liked Unbreakable way back when.
  • monkey wrote:
    I’ve been meaning to get round to that. I really liked Unbreakable way back when.

I think it his best since that one, which I loved.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I thought Mandy was going to be the most insane film I've seen all year but Await Further Instructions tops it, and its cracking fun.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Nah, I liked Waterworld. Hopper's villain is wonderful.

Fuck me. Thought I was the only one on the planet who liked Waterworld. I’m gonna be honest and say I liked it all. The world it was set in. The reluctant hero of Costner. The kid who was, for once, a decent actor and yes, Hopper on grand form.
  • I liked Waterworld, even back when i saw it in the cinema!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The story of the disaster of trying to make it is more entertaining than the film.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I gave it a 4 on IMDb but hadn't seen it in over ten years at the point that I added it sometime in the 2000s.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thought Waterworld was fine. Could never figure out where the hate came from.

I'm also still a big fan of Costner.  But WW and The Postman seemed to have done for him. Haven't seen The Postman yet.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    The story of the disaster of trying to make it is more entertaining than the film.

I love reading about this sort of thing.

The Rex Harrison version Dr. Dolittle is great fun to read about.

Harrison was borderline insane and drunk most of the time. During the shooting on the island he stayed in his yacht with his wife and their fighting and general raucous behaviour was heard across the bay.

The parrot had to be sedated with brandy in its scenes. :)

There's a documentary about Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski called My Best Fiend which is essential. The local tribe used in Fitzcarraldo offered to kill Kinski for Herzog as he was being such a pain in the arse.

The film Venom (1981) had both Klinski and Oliver Reed in the cast and I gather that was a lively set.  Tobe Hooper was to direct but he wisely departed due to artiistic differences. According to wikipedia - Klinski turned down Raiders of the Lost Ark to be in Venom because the money was better and Raiders script was shit.

Also - get the special edition of Caligula - there are some hilarious docs on those discs.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!