Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    First saw the Costner in ‘No Way Out’ - a cracking little 80’s thriller with men in tight white Navy uniforms.

Yep - that was a good 'un too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hair wrote:
    First saw the Costner in ‘No Way Out’ - a cracking little 80’s thriller with men in tight white Navy uniforms.
    Jaco wrote:
    That was with Gene Hackman, right? If so, aye, it's a cracker.
    davyK wrote:
    Yep - that was a good 'un too.

Will Patton steals it. Just watched a few clips - looks like it still holds up.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a remake of an oldie called The Big Clock. Think it starred Ray Milland.
  • The new Gareth Evans film, Apostle, sounds like it'll be great. Out tomorrow on Netflix.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I saw You Were Never Really Here. One of the best films I've seen this year I reckon. Every time I see Joaquin Phoenix I can't help but think he's possibly the best actor working today. He has such a strong physical screen presence. It's the only reason I have an interest in the new joker film. There's a lot of potential for a great performance from him in that.
  • I bought that recently. Thought it was needlessly arty. Didn't care for the director at all. Each to their own tho.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I've been waiting ages for that to hit a streaming service. Nearly took myself to the cinema to see it, which isn't something I really do these days. Hence the fact that I didn't end up going I suppose. /Waffle. Looks good.
  • Watched mother! today.

Fucking hell, another stone cold original from Aronofsky. I'm not sure I've ever watched a more claustrophobic, tense, stressful and delerious film. An absolutely towering performance from Jennifer Lawrence and a series of other superb actors all of whom bring their A-game. The escalating madness really reminded me of Black Swan and the way the film keeps you continually off balance and confused as JL isn't something I've seen in a major studio film in years.

Utterly brilliant insanity
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, was on my top five of last year.
  • Mother and Black Swan are both in one of my top fives...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    One of them? Aranofsky films?
  • Didn’t enjoy mother. At least not in the traditional sense.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Me neither. I came out of it upset, but it's a very good film
  • Exactly how I felt about Requiem for a Dream, back in the day. Left the cinema a bit shaky, but convinced it was one of the greatest pieces of art.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bleak cinema is best cinema. I can rewatch it endlessly. Requiem, mother!, Black Swan, Dancer in the Dark, Miss Violence,Amour etc have all been watched multiple times.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Miss Violence is exceptional
  • Bleak cinema is best cinema. I can rewatch it endlessly. Requiem, mother!, Black Swan, Dancer in the Dark, Miss Violence,Amour etc have all been watched multiple times.

I used to be like that, but increasingly find I don’t have the headspace for it.  I no longer find it cathartic, just draining.  I blame the day job.

It’s a huge shame, because I think a lot of the best film-making is in the really bloody bleak stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its one of the few things which helps me deal with depression, oddly. Happy cinema just makes me more depressed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have really no time for careless joyful consequence free cathartic escapism anymore because like many cinema goers, I want to see experiences that consolidate my own. Eperiences, that particularly in my job, are not unique, and are replicated on screen. I've never been an Ant Man .
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    As an example this is tomorrow night's viewing:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6763252/

So hype
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Bleak cinema is best cinema. I can rewatch it endlessly. Requiem, mother!, Black Swan, Dancer in the Dark, Miss Violence,Amour etc have all been watched multiple times.

I used to be like that, but increasingly find I don’t have the headspace for it.  I no longer find it cathartic, just draining.  I blame the day job.

It’s a huge shame, because I think a lot of the best film-making is in the really bloody bleak stuff.

I’ve been like that for a while now. I’m just never in the mood to put on a film that anyone has described to me as harrowing.
  • When I see something like Mother! I realise what the point of me sitting my ass down to watch a film is. A lot of films will tell you it’s about wasting the evening because it’s the thing to do but to me the real thing that film (or video games, board games, books, music) do is create spaces in which you can feel like a dickhead or awful or happy or sad or delighted and actually there is actually zero consequence so you can explore those things safely. You can be an arsehole in a board game and but you are given permission to do so. You can be coaxed into feeling tense and angry in mother! but really no one has to get legit hurt in the process.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like a big daft film. But more often I like stuff that makes me think about it the next day. Decalogue really hit me hard that way.
  • You should watch Koza DS, you’d like it
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    You should watch Koza DS, you’d like it

About the boxer?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Can't find it in the usual places, if its showing round my way I'll head to it.

Still disappointed I missed this due to illness:

• Watched Apostle last night on Netflix.  Had mistakenly thought it was a series.  

It's quite good.  Nothing special at all, though.  Some creepyish bits.  A few minging bits.
  • Mandy was
    Spoiler:
    It's definitely a metal-head's film, also. I think if this film wore a faded band t-shirt, it'd be Slayer or something.

Oh and wtf, Ken Barlow's son? Jeesh.

That probably all sounds negative, so I'll clarify by saying I enjoyed it, recommend to anyone interested in the genre.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!