Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I'm glad some films put extra thought into the science bit, but 'something about the field generated by a living organism' was always good enough for me.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Except:

Possible Yoss, aye. Whatever the case, it's a cracking film.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • davyK wrote:
    So which is the best ever then? The Good , The Bad & The Ugly is my pick - for its cinematic splendour. The truel scene with that Morricone soundtrack cannot be matched. Unforgiven is damn close. I was never one for The Searchers although it looks spectacular. Once Upon a Time in the West would be kicking about there too.

Catching up on lots of posts (Memento followed by The Prestige, if you must know, and Inception was a pile of dog poo). My fave is probably Once Upon A Time In The West. Another great Morricone soundtrack.

(My fave Leone, however, is OUAT in America. An epic.)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Best Ghibli is Fireflies cos it's the only one I've seen and only one I'll ever see
  • Tempy wrote:
    ok now pixar

Up. Was that Pixar? If so, that gets my vote. Ermmm... Toy Story is a given.
  • Don’t give me that look otherwise I’ll start a top 10 list or something....:D
  • All this Interstellar talk means I'm going to watch it once I get back from holiday. Loved it first time around and have been meaning to rewatch for ages - headphones are a must for it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I went to a showing of Witchfinder General last Friday at the Chelmsford Records Office (Essex history init). My first time seeing the legend of Vincent Price and I was chuckling throughout. So much that I was causing other people to chuckle at me chuckling at very inappropriate scenes but it's just so damn hammy. There's even a Nick Cage moment at the end where, the hero is just beginning to beat SATANIC Matthew Hopkins to death but an unsolicited comrade finishes him with a pistol shot. So begins a close-up of the mentally broken (tortured) hero repeating "YOU TOOK HIM FROM ME! YOU TOOK HIM FROM ME!".
  • Halloween movies for tonight. Original Halloween is a given. What else you got?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Theresa May “Brexit means Brexit” speech.
  • No comedies thank you.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Donnie Darko
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Company of Wolves has been my go-to Halloween film for years. Such a brilliantly atmospheric film. No Halloween film for me tonight as I’ll be having my own Halloween fun sleeping in my office, but tomorrow night my belated seasonal film will be the more recent It.
    Get schwifty.
  • Watched Apostle last night. Not quite sure how to articulate my response to it. It’s certainly interesting.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I swore I'd finally get round to watching Badabook one of these Halloween nights, but I scare too easy.  Might just watch Poltergeist instead  (the original one obviously, the remake was a real horror show).
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Babadook would be a great fit for Halloween. Get it watched you ruddy wus.
    Get schwifty.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    I swore I'd finally get round to watching Badabook one of these Halloween nights, but I scare too easy.  Might just watch Poltergeist instead  (the original one obviously, the remake was a real horror show).
    Isn't that the aim?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'll be watching original Halloween. First time too - just never got around to watching it before.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I don't get scary/horror films. Genuinely don't understand the appeal of being scared witless and/or gore.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like a tense thriller. And I'm not talking about something like Alien, which I see as more of a sci-fi thriller. I'm thinking more about Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Poltergeist, Hostel, Saw etc. I just don't get it. Especially anything supernatural, properly gives me the willies that does. Not a feeling I'd choose for entertainment...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't like jump scare stuff - although it can be a good laugh. I prefer the creepy ones like The Shining, The Omen, Rosemary's Baby etc.

The first 20mins or so of Jeepers Creepers was superb that way.

Hereditary was quite a bit like that too until near the end and it got a bit silly.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Original Halloween is absolutely a thriller.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Jaco wrote:
    I don't get scary/horror films. Genuinely don't understand the appeal of being scared witless and/or gore.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like a tense thriller. And I'm not talking about something like Alien, which I see as more of a sci-fi thriller. I'm thinking more about Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Poltergeist, Hostel, Saw etc. I just don't get it. Especially anything supernatural, properly gives me the willies that does. Not a feeling I'd choose for entertainment...

Strongly agree with most of your western pics (esp mentioning Rio Bravo over El Dorado. Puuurple eyes o/), but we don't see eye to eye on horror. It's the only genre where I can contentedly sit through a film of pretty much any degree of quality from pretty much any era
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I don't get scary/horror films. Genuinely don't understand the appeal of being scared witless and/or gore. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like a tense thriller. And I'm not talking about something like Alien, which I see as more of a sci-fi thriller. I'm thinking more about Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Poltergeist, Hostel, Saw etc. I just don't get it. Especially anything supernatural, properly gives me the willies that does. Not a feeling I'd choose for entertainment...
    Strongly agree with most of your western pics (esp mentioning Rio Bravo over El Dorado. Puuurple eyes o/), but we don't see eye to eye on horror. It's the only genre where I can contentedly sit through a film of pretty much any degree of quality from pretty much any era

Fair enough mate. I don't have an issue with folks watching this stuff if that's their bag, obviously. I just don't personally get it, and wonder what makes people enjoy being scared / horrified. I guess I'm kind of intrigued by the psychology of it.

EDIT: By the way, I love El Dorado. Has some great lines and a cracking villain in McCloud. "I hit the sign, and the sign hit him" and "He was limping when he got here" are just perfect.
  • I’m with Jim. The horror genre just isn’t for me.
  • Then watch The VVitch.   I don't do horror movies either, but the language and the setting in this was splendid.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • El Dorado is great, maybe even a tint bit better than Rio Bravo, but it doesn't have Stumpy.
  • Halloween movies for tonight. Original Halloween is a given. What else you got?

Watch all of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Ghostwatch

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!