Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I'd just like to point out that Silent Running kicks the backsides of every other sci-fi flick out there.

I rest my case.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    I'd just like to point out that Silent Running kicks the backsides of every other sci-fi flick out there. I rest my case.
    Silent Running is a cracker.  It's a reserve list film for me (just below 2001 & co.) I remember first seeing it late one night on BBC2. :) Those were the days. 

I was younger and found Baez's warbling a bit annoying but I suspect I'd enjoy it more now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I loved Silent Running as a kid, those robots were just wonderful. I tried watching it again recently and it didn't really work for me anymore.
  • Cool Runnings > Silent Running
  • One of those cases where the sequel is better than the original.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK wrote:
    Re: Arrival vs Interstellar. I watched both recently within a few days of each other for the 1st time and I preferred Interstellar. Arrival is just as good in its own way - but I prefer Interstellar because it is rewatchable. Once I got the reveal in Arrival I didn't feel compelled to see it again. Arrival is more heavily based around a riddle and loses a lot once it is solved. Not so with Interstellar which for me sits alongside Solaris and 2001 due to its scale and scope.
    It's a controversial opinion, but I thought both films were great.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    It's a controversial opinion, but I thought both films were great.

g knows.
  • davyK wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    I'd just like to point out that Silent Running kicks the backsides of every other sci-fi flick out there. I rest my case.
    Silent Running is a cracker.  It's a reserve list film for me (just below 2001 & co.) I remember first seeing it late one night on BBC2. :) Those were the days.  I was younger and found Baez's warbling a bit annoying but I suspect I'd enjoy it more now.
    One of the films that little g was taken to the cinema to see by his mum when it was released. I would have been seven at the time. Didn't have the faintest idea what it was about, but I loved the robots and the quality of the space imagery blew my mind. Always loved it since. It's a classic.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, I thought both were great too, I just preferred Interstellar.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

This.

Also - Silent Running robots were operated by amputees apparently

There's a nice looking Blu Ray of it produced by Eureka:Masters of Cinema I've been tempted to pick up.

Did anyone ever see 2010? I actually quite enjoyed it - think I'm in the minority on that though.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

I share this opinion. I have yet to see Silent Running.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

This.

Also - Silent Running robots were operated by amputees apparently

There's a nice looking Blu Ray of it produced by Eureka:Masters of Cinema I've been tempted to pick up.

Did anyone ever see 2010? I actually quite enjoyed it - think I'm in the minority on that though.

My god, it’s full of stars!

I have a soft spot for 2010, it’s just that its older brother is in another league.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yup, likewise.
  • 'Decent sequels to films considered fantastic (that are rarely mentioned in the same breath as the originals)' might be a good topic.  Return to Oz, Gremlins 2 (see recent love), French Connection 2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Omen 2 was a good 'un.
  • I get the sequels confused.  The first is probably my favourite horror film. 
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Both I think. I mean both are the sequel.
  • Ah right, maybe I never even saw the third one.
  • Interstellar is great, I found Arrival over-rated, though mainly because i didn't like how it resolved:
    Spoiler:
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Catching up on this thread after a few days it’s fun to see how many people are still just plain wrong when it comes to Nolan’s films.

The Prestige > Interstellar > Memento > Inception > Insomnia > Following (and the Batman movies are all pish)

Arrival is so much better than them all that it’s in a different league entirely.
  • If Amy Adams and Jessica Chastain swapped roles I'd probably prefer Interstellar.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I get the sequels confused.  The first is probably my favourite horror film. 
    Spoiler:

Yes - but it was an older man, not a kid.

The 3rd one...
    Spoiler:
  • poprock wrote:
    Catching up on this thread after a few days it’s fun to see how many people are still just plain wrong when it comes to Nolan’s films. The Prestige > Interstellar > Memento > Inception > Insomnia > Following

The Prestige is fabulous, no doubt. But better than Insomnia? Ooh, that's bold.
    poprock wrote:
    (and the Batman movies are all pish)

Let's not say things we can't take back, now.
    poprock wrote:
    Arrival is so much better than them all that it’s in a different league entirely.

It's very, very good (in my top 5 sci-fi films of all time), but I wouldn't say it's in a different league. Nolan's output is so consistently excellent, that I think we kind of take for granted just how good his films are. Purely from a craft point of view, he's almost unrivalled.

Changing tack for a moment: we haven't spoken about 'No Country For Old Men' for a while, have we? I watched it for about the 87th time this weekend and, my word, doesn't it just hold up beautifully? It's also a bizarrely accurate adaptation of the book - very nearly word-for-word and scene-for-scene.

Next up this week: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (for about the 83rd time).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apparently the No Country for Old Men was originally written as a screenplay but when McCarthy couldn’t get any takers he turned it into a novel instead.
  • That doesn't surprise me. It's a cracking read. But then, McCarthy.
  • Ah. When I recently said Open Range was my favourite western since Unforgiven I'd forgotten about Assassination of JJ.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Pleasing to see all The Prestige shouts, and I love you to Shabs x
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Ah. When I recently said Open Range was my favourite western since Unforgiven I'd forgotten about Assassination of JJ.

I'd contest that Open Range is the better film, but it's a damn tough call. There've been some cracking westerns over the past 15 years or so.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So which is the best ever then?

The Good , The Bad & The Ugly is my pick - for its cinematic splendour. The truel scene with that Morricone soundtrack cannot be matched.

Unforgiven is damn close. I was never one for The Searchers although it looks spectacular. Once Upon a Time in the West would be kicking about there too.
  • stumbled on this when clicking various 'related' links:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/jun/11/man-steel-hollywood-break-superheroes

thought it was an interesting read, especially considering whats changed in the 5 years since, but there still being even more super hero movies...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!