Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Man of Steel, youre right SG, thats his best.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Don’t get me started DS. Interstelllar, overrated. And no there was nothing emotional with that scene. Nice FX though.

me and paul will fight you
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I’m planning to rewatch Interstellar soon too. Quite possibly tomorrow as I’m still recovering from this cold.

Arrival shits in it's mouth from a height. Memento is the best Nolan film imo and the Dark Knight is pretty good. Inception is pretty good too.

I enjoyed Arrival, but prefer pretty much any Nolan I’ve seen.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    dark knight is trash but has a couple legit scenes
  • Interstellar is dull although the bit with the waves is good.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I liked the fact that it actually dealt in some hard sci-fi, things like time dilation from gravity and so forth. That sort of stuff doesn’t turn up often in film.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Interstellar is stellar. Nolan’s best for me.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I liked the fact that it actually dealt in some hard sci-fi, things like time dilation from gravity and so forth. That sort of stuff doesn’t turn up often in film.

Arrival dealt with time as an illusion so bonus geek points for that. That's true hard sci-fi. The main problem with Interstellar is the script is just boring.
  • Interstellar wins because it gets that love is more important than science. :p
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Arrival dealt with time as an illusion so bonus geek points for that. That's true hard sci-fi. The main problem with Interstellar is the script is just boring.

So is Arrival's script when ya break it down tbh
  • Interstellar > Arrival

All day long.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Time as an illusion is too overused to be hard sci fi. DS9 practically hung seven seasons off it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Time as an illusion is too overused to be hard sci fi. DS9 practically hung seven seasons off it.

Current views on time are certainly more fitting with The Arrival than Relativity, but no matter. What's important about Interstellar is some hunk from Texas saves the world. No really. 

In The Arrival some aliens, a woman(!) and a fucking Chinese guy save two planets, which is clearly not only implausible but also unpatriotic.
  • For me, The Prestige is Nolan’s best.

I knew there was a reason I loved you hair.

Inception is 2 hours of expositional dialogue. It's a gawd awful script that doesn't trust it's audience to pick up concepts that aren't wholly described to them that is then wrapped up in a visually interesting and solidly made action thriller. I wish I could like it more but repeat viewings are ruined by the fact that you know how the movie world works but the film explains it to you every time.
  • I need to watch Arrival again. I absolutely loved it at the cinema. Kinda worried I won't like it as much on second viewing.
  • Relax, it's great.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Current views on time are certainly more fitting with The Arrival than Relativity, but no matter. What's important about Interstellar is some hunk from Texas saves the world. No really. 

In The Arrival some aliens, a woman(!) and a fucking Chinese guy save two planets, which is clearly not only implausible but also unpatriotic.

But those current views on time aren’t that new. The idea that time is only linear according to our point of view has been around forever and has been explored many times over and I’m not sure there’s a great deal else to say about it. Furthermore, that view of time doesn’t negate relativistic effects but those are basically ignored in cinema. Someone heading out on a deep space mission that they know will cause them to outlive everyone they know should be a staple of sci fi, but film makers just pretend this doesn’t happen. I enjoyed seeing a film which dealt with it.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suppose part of the thing with Arrival is that it drew a lot of ideas from linguistics which, after having taught EFL for many years, were pretty familiar to me. There was little in there which I found particularly new or interesting.
  • If you think Interstellar is a good film then good for you. Enjoy the fuck out of it. I'm not angry I'm just disappointed.
  • Gawd I hate The Telegraph. It's so wrong.
  • Prestige was my favourite at the time, haven't seen it since but I'd imagine it's still top. Which would be some achievement considering I've enjoyed all his films.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Don’t get me started DS. Interstelllar, overrated. And no there was nothing emotional with that scene. Nice FX though.

me and paul will fight you

You hold him down, I'll take off his pants.

I love both Interstellar and Arrival. Inception is also great. Not feeling the exposition hate, it doesn't have to be a sin.

• I wouldn't want to rewatch Arrival or Interstellar. Neither were very interesting.

I'd rewatch pretty much any other Nolan film I've seen though. Except that last Batman. That was awful.
  • I got the urge to rewatch Interstellar recently as I thought it was his weakest on first viewing.  Really enjoyed it second time.  Dark Knight Rises was fine imo, good villain and some decent scenes.  Clearly the low point of the trilogy, but decent when compared to genuinely awful comic book films.
  • If we’re talking best Nolan film then how come nobody has mentioned this? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1578764/
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Insomnia is Nolan’s best.

And Interstellar and Arrival are both great.

Just saying.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Ah, I see. On the other hand, I have seen Shutter Island but not the other film so now it’s the other one that’s been spoiled for me (not that I’m particularly bothered about it, as I say).

Shit. Hadn't thought of that!
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re: Arrival vs Interstellar.

I watched both recently within a few days of each other for the 1st time and I preferred Interstellar.

Arrival is just as good in its own way - but I prefer Interstellar because it is rewatchable. Once I got the reveal in Arrival I didn't feel compelled to see it again. Arrival is more heavily based around a riddle and loses a lot once it is solved. Not so with Interstellar which for me sits alongside Solaris and 2001 due to its scale and scope.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!