Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I'm with Andy on this, I'm usually pretty careful as it's not up to me to decide what's ok for others. Prior knowledge of a twist is a spoilsport spoiler.

Anecdote time, which contains a spoiler to a really famous film from 1995 starring Brad Pitt btw:
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just did I, Tonya. That was a cracking little movie.
  • Yeah I enjoyed I, Tonya a whole bunch.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Also, I generally agree with the spoiler stuff, I also generally agree that knowing something has a twist is a spoiler, however, I do think that generally speaking saying something has a twist is seen as acceptable. I can’t remember the last time I read a review of a film with a twist that doesn’t say it has a twist, so I’m not that bothered if it’s said in here.
  • I don't like spoiling stuff for other people (apart from when people sledgehammer tyres) but I usually don't bother so much about being spoiled, but it's too flexible. I think forums and general chats and twitter and so on bug me more for spoilers. If I want to read an article about something I go in fully expecting spoilers, I guess that's something I got from academia.
  • Everyone's pretty respectful on here as a rule, it's the irl 'I'm not going to spoil it but I will say this' brigade that get me. I sit in a room with five others at work, and one of them still mentions 'the imbd review' of whatever he streams on his phone.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm with Andy on this, I'm usually pretty careful as it's not up to me to decide what's ok for others. Prior knowledge of a twist is a spoilsport spoiler.

Anecdote time, which contains a spoiler to a really famous film from 1995 starring Brad Pitt btw:
    Spoiler:

Fucking good post, that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Also, I was thinking about a "Twist" thread about whether or not you twigged the twist in certain movies, but it'd be a fucking minefield.

Anyway, I usually miss the twist until it's literally spelled out/confirmed in the film, one notable exception being a big budget sequel to an eighties film I'm always banging on about.

I do think that not twigging the twist adds enormously to the experience of watching these films.
  • I think with Shutter Island
    Spoiler:
  • I've found it rarely bothers me as I find it really easy to just get swept up and watch a film, I don't try and second guess them or pre-empt stuff, I just get excited to see where stories take me. If I explicitly know a fact or the denoument, I generally just enjoy seeing how they get to it rather than feeling it undermines a lot of the drama, but everyone is different when it comes to this stuff.
  • I think generally if something's really high quality then it doesn't matter much whether you know what's going to happen. It's all about the complexities of the characters, themes etc. Whereas if it's just an entertaining story then what happens is the meat of it and it's good to be surprised.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    When it's happened to me, twigging has took me out of the story and into "can I confirm this theory" mode, but crucially it's not my decision, it just happens as I'm watching the film.

Not necessarily ruinous to a film though. It doesn't happen often to me mind, as I'm a fucking dimwit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I think with Shutter Island
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Knowing there was a twist spoiled a film recently for me. I still enjoyed it but the twist was obvious because I knew there was one. Would’ve probably not seen it coming otherwise. I won’t say what film it was so as not to repeat the problem.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Davy: your spoiler tag is useless as there is no way of knowing that it relates to something other than Shutter Island until you click on it.  I'm not concerned myself, but thought I'd mention it.

If someone saw the film I spoilered it might spoiler Shutter Island for them?

That was my thinking.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, I see. On the other hand, I have seen Shutter Island but not the other film so now it’s the other one that’s been spoiled for me (not that I’m particularly bothered about it, as I say).
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I think with Shutter Island
    Spoiler:

It's based on a book by Lehane which is a lot more nuanced than the film.
  • I finally got to watch Hereditary tonight on bluray.

I’m a bit of a horror fan, love the more thoughtful recent films (the vvitch, it follows, get out, Babadook...) as well as the more mainstream stuff (conjuring, dark skies, paranormal activity series) and throughout the years have seen quite a few that have moments that stick with me.

So, this was perhaps the most fucked up intense horror film I’ve ever seen. like, genuinely haunting. The big scene midway through almost made me turn it off, I was convinced I was gonna take it to CeX in the morning as I didn’t want to watch anymore.

But I stuck through it and it starts to shape into something more familiar, but still horrifying. The ramp up in those final scenes had me flinching and gasping for air,
    Spoiler:

I have short moments in screenplays I wrote at uni which are actually in this film (him smiling in his reflection) which might explain why I was so drawn in. It’s just... fucking horrible and a great film.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's a terrible film lad let's fight about it
  • Oh, ok the.... WAAAAIT A MINUTE.

My wife loved it until the last third.
    Spoiler:
  • I came in here to write the same as you Cosmic.
    I've just finished watching it for the first time myself and I loved it.
    My wife has gone out to a Halloween party leaving me at home alone with the kids, no idea why I decided to watch it on my own when shes not here because sweet jesus its scary as hell.

Such a masterpiece in slow building horror, by the time the last 30 minutes came around I was hiding behind a duvet. I'm a 33 year old man and I was hiding under a fucking duvet. 
    This bit in particular got me … (spoilers!)
    Spoiler:
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought it was ok but lost it about half way through.
  • I came in here to write the same as you Cosmic.
    I've just finished watching it for the first time myself and I loved it.
    My wife has gone out to a Halloween party leaving me at home alone with the kids, no idea why I decided to watch it on my own when shes not here because sweet jesus its scary as hell.

Such a masterpiece in slow building horror, by the time the last 30 minutes came around I was hiding behind a duvet. I'm a 33 year old man and I was hiding under a fucking duvet. 
    This bit in particular got me … (spoilers!)
    Spoiler:

Oh god, so...
    Spoiler:
  • I came in here to write the same as you Cosmic. I've just finished watching it for the first time myself and I loved it. My wife has gone out to a Halloween party leaving me at home alone with the kids, no idea why I decided to watch it on my own when shes not here because sweet jesus its scary as hell. Such a masterpiece in slow building horror, by the time the last 30 minutes came around I was hiding behind a duvet. I'm a 33 year old man and I was hiding under a fucking duvet.  This bit in particular got me … (spoilers!)
    Spoiler:
    Oh god, so...
    Spoiler:

I nearly switched it off at the point mentioned in my previous spoiler tag, I just couldn't handle that whole following sequence of events. I'm in bed typing this on my laptop because I'm too freaked out to turn off my light.
    Also thinking that it would make a great double bill with
    Spoiler:
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, I have to say I really rather enjoyed Hereditary. Dripping in atmosphere, and while I don’t scare in films (except you, Enemy, you fuck, because arachnophobia), I thought there were some effectively creepy scenes, such as the one in Wookie’s first spoiler.
    Get schwifty.
  • Andy wrote:
    For the umpteenth time, there is no statute of limitations on spoilers. I couldn’t give two fucks how old something is, I have as much right to see it unspoiled as anyone else.
    Stating your opinion a lot of times doesn’t mean I need to change mine.

I haven’t bothered watching Shutter Island in the 8 years since it came out. I don’t expect everyone else to treat the film like a state secret because I might one day get round to watching it. If you need to have a completely pure viewing experience, just watch the film a bit sooner.

Anyway that applies to how I treat spoilers from other people. I don’t spoil old films for others. Not on purpose anyway.
  • Enemy was great.
    Spoiler:
  • I agree with Andy on the spoiler thing.

So when should we schedule our next spoiler discussion? 3 months from now?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    3 months from now?

Spoilers!

Hereditary would be my horror of the year so far if not for Mandy.
  • I don’t think Mandy is really horror, maybe a different genre. Interestingly I think predator is more of a horror film.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!