Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Not sure what was the first film I watched actually *in* a foreign language but I remember watching Bruce Lee films when I was about 14. Game of Death is it?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Have a feeling Hard Boiled was my first. Or possibly Police Story...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Probably Battle Royale
  • Hmm, might have been Jackie Chan for me, probably Rumble in the Bronx
  • Ooo yeah good shout
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Went to see the Fantastic Beasts movie at the pictures tonight. It’s beautiful to look at but utterly vacuous. Quite annoying too, when an entire film turns out to be just setup for sequels.

Still, it’s really very pretty. And that does count for something.
  • poprock wrote:
    Went to see the Fantastic Beasts movie at the pictures tonight. It’s beautiful to look at but utterly vacuous. Quite annoying too, when an entire film turns out to be just setup for sequels. Still, it’s really very pretty. And that does count for something.

Was just about to post much the same sentiments.  It's basically 2 hours plus of beautifully rendered fan service, in search of a plot.  (Which never really emerges).  There are characters present purely so that Potter fans can go "ooh" in recognition, and family trees are explored in a manner that risks making the world feel smaller rather than more expansive.  There is also a twist so stupid that even the die-hard fans I went with struggled to make it work.

But it looks amazing.  (Though I think I preferred the previous movie's 20's americana.)  The performances (with the exception of Depp) are all pretty good - particularly Jude Law who is suitably charismatic.  But yeah, it's a film all about shuffling pieces round the board, without really achieving anything much.
  • I think Das Boot would be my first proper watch of a foreign film.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Trying to think what my first foreign language film was.
    We watched quite a few, at my dad’s behest, as children, with him often reading out the subtitles if we couldn’t keep up. The first I can think of is Seven Samurai, one of his favourites.

Good ol' Marty celebrates his birthday today so let's do him next.
    Over-rated Marty.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    A big 'meh' for Fantastic Beasts here. Confusing, characters I care little about and worrying that there are supposed to be five of these films.

Very pretty though.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    (Though I think I preferred the previous movie's 20's americana.)

Ditto. But I still really did enjoy the atmosphere – and the period setting is dripping with it, despite being less fun than 1920s New York was.

The Mrs and I went in knowing nothing about it, and having enjoyed the first film. We’re not Harry Potter fans, but the previous Fantastic Beasts was a lovely bit of stylish fun. This was confusing and even a little exclusionary to non-fans. We left not knowing what to make of the big twist and not much caring either.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Basically, it didn't make a shred of sense even to people familiar with the books.
  • Some lovely tailoring on show though. Cracking costumes.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    When the last sword is drawn was my first foreign language film I think.
  • Think mine was Taxi.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Anyone else watched The Night Comes for Us on Netflix? Billed as a kinda spiritual successor to the Raid films (different director, some of the same cast). Martial arts/gangster/action film. Pretty much 2 hours of relentlessly violent fight scenes. I thought it was buckets of bloody fun.
  • Aye, as others mentioned, director (Tjahjanto) also did Headshot with Uwais, Estelle and Pang in the cast. It’s on Netflix uk as well.
  • djchump wrote:
    Aye, as others mentioned, director (Tjahjanto) also did Headshot with Uwais, Estelle and Pang in the cast. It’s on Netflix uk as well.
    Excellent. Will check that out too.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Suspiria wasn't bad, although anyone that had a problem with Hereditary going off the rails towards the end will likely have similar issues here. I have seen the original, but so long ago that I'm unable to make any meaningful comparison.
  • First foreign film, with subtitles, Gregory's Girl.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    The first foreign language film that I saw at the cinema would appear to have been The City of Lost Children based on my IMDb lists, but it is possible that I saw something prior to that and have forgotten... No idea about non-cinema, but I imagine that it would have been something that I taped on late night TV in the early 1990s when we finally bought a VHS.

(Actually, this may be incorrect. I may have only seen this first at the Film Society at university.)
  • The first foreign language film I saw was probably something very worthy, chosen by my parents, but the first I remember choosing to watch was Subway.  (Which I then watched about another 5 times in a matter of weeks, and then haven't seen since.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm finding it difficult to remember what my first foreign film was.

BBC2 used to put a lot of them on at night. The 1st I remember is one (according to wiki) from 1977 called In a Wild Moment about a middle aged divorced guy who has an affair with his best friend's daughter. The reveal in the film where he owns up "C'est moi" is punctuated with a thunder clap and had a great impact on me.  However that is all I remember of the film - and I don't know what age I was - I was still living at home so probably late teens/early 20s.

First I pro-actively watched may be Decalogue - which revealed to me how superb World cinema could be if I averted my eyes from Hollywood.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just watched Arrival for the fourth time. Cemented itself as Villeneuve's best for me, just topping Incendies.
  • Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
    Slightly late for Thanksgiving but that seems appropriate.
    I love this film, still has me in fits. It's a shame Martin and Candy didn't do more together they are a great odd couple.
  • "Those aren't pillows!" Elicits giggles every time.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Absolutely fantastic film.
    Spoiler:
  • Aye. It's a killer that. And I just love the whole rental car set-up.

"WHY WOULD I PUT IT THERE?!"

.... "Kindness."

Followed by THAT realisation.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched spinal tap again. Want it to be longer. Wonderful supporting cast. It's just unspeakably good.

Planes,trains and autos is superb.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!