Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think that's a canny list pop, but then you've missed out Interview With a Vampire, Last Samurai, War of the Worlds and Jerry Maguire and I quite like those so hmm.
  • Cocktail? Not even fun as an 80s throwback.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Everyone’s top 10 Cruise would be different, I hope. He’s had quite the career, hasn’t he?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Forgot about A Few Good Men. Great film.

This. See also The Colour of Money. And The Last Samurai, which despite being entirely and completely nonsensical, was a great watch.

Agree on the almost-good sci-fi thing, pop. Love me a 3/5 spaceship-a-thon.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cruise proved his acting chops in Eyes Wide Shut.

I like most things he's in. Cocktail has dated a bit though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nah, I stand by my love of Cocktail.

I like Top Gun with Booze just as much (maybe even a little more) than Top Gun with Cars.

I haven’t rewatched Eyes Wide Shut since its cinema release. Think it might be about time I did.
  • Is he the biggest Hollywood star in terms of box-office reciepts after Arnie Schwarenegger 80/90s?

He's has very few dud movies in a very long career.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    According to this:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/top-grossing-movie-stars.html/

Cruise is 7th, Arnie doesn’t even make the list.
  • According to THIS, Samuel L. Jackson is no.1. Then Harrison Ford, then Robert Downey Jr. Cruise is all the way down in 9th. I'd imagine that's due to the behemoths that are the Marvel and Star Wars franchises.

Hard to calculate though. So many big event movies now rely on a whole possé of actors, not just a main "star" to draw the crowds. I've a feeling the days of one person being the box-office draw are long gone.

EDIT: Yoss was quicker. FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, AMIRITE FNF CROWD.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    According to this:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/top-grossing-movie-stars.html/

Cruise is 7th, Arnie doesn’t even make the list.

Wow, I'm surprised Arnie didn't make that list seeing he was up there with jacko as the most famous celebrities of the 80s. Arnie was in alot of blockbuster movies.
  • idgi

fml

EDIT:  Jimbo
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Yoss was quicker. FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, AMIRITE FNF CROWD.

I don’t know exactly how many weeks in a row I need to get at least one win during FNF to shake this reputation, but I reckon I’m currently up to 5 or 6. One of those weeks saw me win 4 times in one night.
  • I'm guessing that its not adjusted for inflation etc which is why it's so slanted towards those in a franchise - depp has pirates and the new jk Rowling stuff, Ford had force awakens to buck up his previous stuff. I'm really surprised Morgan Freeman is there though. Fair play.

For Arnie, if imagine if you just take from 85 to 95 he is the biggest but after that there are very few big event films to his name.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    According to this: https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/top-grossing-movie-stars.html/ Cruise is 7th, Arnie doesn’t even make the list.
    Wow, I'm surprised Arnie didn't make that list seeing he was up there with jacko as the most famous celebrities of the 80s. Arnie was in alot of blockbuster movies.

I'm guessing it's because a lot of his films were 'R' / 15 / 18 rated, which massively limits the audience. Certainly much more than, say, The Avengers.

@Unlikely we miss you fella. Come and play late.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    I don’t know exactly how many weeks in a row I need to get at least one win during FNF to shake this reputation, but I reckon I’m currently up to 5 or 6. One of those weeks saw me win 4 times in one night.

I am pulling your leg, you duffer.
  • Samuel L is a weird one because he just shows up in some films for five mins I big films.

For a bit Hugo Weaving was a box office monster because of Elrond and Agent Smith but my guess is no one explicitly saw those films for him I guess.

Ian mkellan must have been big too starting in xmens and lord of the rings.
  • Jaco wrote:

Got a bit too much going on at the moment, unfortunately, and not all of it good.  Hopefully things will improve soon.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    Got a bit too much going on at the moment, unfortunately, and not all of it good.  Hopefully things will improve soon.

Hope so, big fella. Keep your chin up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Jaco wrote:

I am pulling your leg, you duffer.

I’m aware you aren’t being serious. My response comes more from a place of bemusement than anything else.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fingers crossed for you Unlikely.
  • Samuel L Jackson does a shit ton of films as well.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Samuel L Jackson does a ton of shit films as well.

FTFY
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Heard Jackson on a chat show say he'll take any old shit just to beat Ford as the No.1 earner. Stay classy Sam.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • At least he's honest about it, I suppose. I'd love, for once, one of these big stars to answer the "what drew you to this movie" question with the actual truth. It wasn't artistic merit, it wasn't the chance to highlight an issue or work with such-and-such. It was $5,000,000 up front with 2% on the gross and a slice of the merch.

EDIT: Incidentally, even if you just shoved that $5,000,000 in a basic bank account paying 0.25% interest, you'd earn $12,500 a month for doing stuff all. You'd never have to work again and could still live to a very good standard. Why the hell do these people continue working? I don't get it.
  • Heard Jackson on a chat show say he'll take any old shit just to beat Ford as the No.1 earner. Stay classy Sam.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that really. I get taking pride in your work but wanting to be the biggest box office draw doesn't need to be exclusive from that. At least he is honest.

SFV - reddave360
  • Jaco wrote:
    At least he's honest about it, I suppose. I'd love, for once, one of these big stars to answer the "what drew you to this movie" question with the actual truth. It wasn't artistic merit, it wasn't the chance to highlight an issue or work with such-and-such. It was $5,000,000 up front with 2% on the gross and a slice of the merch..
    al+pacino.jpg
  • But isn't that a Dunkin' Donuts ad, as opposed to a movie? I'm talking about actual movies here...

EDIT: For the record, movie-stars whoring themselves in such a fashion does make me queasy. It just strikes me that they're OBVIOUSLY doing it in adverts. There's no hiding or excuses thrown about. I have the sneaking suspicion that most films are undertaken, not for the artistic merits as is often claimed, but for the greeeeeeeeen.
  • Pacino’s been in some proper stinkers in recent years too, hasn’t he?
  • It is a scene in an actual movie.
    Jack & Jill.

I mean it is basically an advert plonked in the middle of a movie but that's another conversation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!