Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I don't see it taking off.

Love the commitment
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Mysterio was a standard villain in the 60s. Since at least the early 90s, he’s been a joke villain.

Not saying they can’t do something good with him. I would though be surprised if it’s just him and not some bigger bad stirring things up in the background.

Important Update: That might not be Hydroman and Sandman but some weird mystical monsters.
  • Aquamanbro crossover?
  • Public service announcement: Mandy is in Amazon Prime’s £1.99 rental deal at the moment.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    SEE IT
  • I’ve rented it, but fuck knows when I’ll have time to watch it. Got a 30 day window though, so odds are good.
  • It's a good watch. Very much all style and no substance, but what style!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • monkey wrote:
    Mysterio was a standard villain in the 60s. Since at least the early 90s, he’s been a joke villain.

Not saying they can’t do something good with him. I would though be surprised if it’s just him and not some bigger bad stirring things up in the background.

Important Update: That might not be Hydroman and Sandman but some weird mystical monsters.

They’re SFX that mysterio is controlling to make himself look like a hero, surely.
  • I would have thought so.
  • Unless they’re doing another Mandarin type twist, I presumed the same.
  • Is it possible this is an alternative universe where all the dusty people are?

Probably not but seeing Europe in the trailer reminds me of the awful Thor sequel. Worst film in the mcu.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I’m presuming it’s earlier in the timeline - pre Thanos invasion.
  • Pretty sure they’ve stated it’s set after.
  • Tempy wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Mysterio was a standard villain in the 60s. Since at least the early 90s, he’s been a joke villain.

They’re SFX that mysterio is controlling to make himself look like a hero, surely.

I think you’ve nailed it here Temps
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • g.man wrote:
    It's a good watch. Very much all style and no substance, but what style!
    I don’t like it when people indicate that style and substance are on opposite ends of an imaginary scale.

Style can be the substance and it takes a lot of work to get such a consistent and rich piece to work in such a way.

Additionally I’d say the film does have more than just the imagery and sonics to it. It’s a while ago now but I thought it was quite an interesting how the film was about the projection of masculinity through weapons and tools but underneath the clothes mostly men are naked chumps. It was a consistent underpinning.

Lastly the scenes between cage and his wife were so lovely and understated that it gave his rage a well set definition.

• That's fair enough. I really enjoyed it, but for me it skated a bit too close to pastiche and didn't really have anything to say about anything. That's not a criticism though. Not every film has to have some great message. Sometimes just being entertaining is perfectly fine.
  • Anyhoo. Just watched BlacKKKlansman. Really enjoyed it. Very well made film that does that awkward dance between black comedy and heaviosity with exquisite poise.

highly recommended

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    Anyhoo. Just watched BlacKKKlansman. Really enjoyed it. Very well made film that does that awkward dance between black comedy and heaviosity with exquisite poise.

highly recommended

g.man

Oh yes. Really surprised me with how much I enjoyed it. Very well made
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Watched You Were Never Really Here last night. Not much to say about it really beyond it being incredible. Lynne Ramsay is a treasure.

I did not get this film at all. I thought it was drivel. Which surprises me, as I'm usually fairly in line with both Tempty and Ds' taste.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Watched You Were Never Really Here last night. Not much to say about it really beyond it being incredible. Lynne Ramsay is a treasure.

Ah yis, me favourite movie of last year. Cracking soundtrack too.
  • Should have checked before quoting to avoid double up. Oh well.

On the spideyman I actually found the trailer to be a bit weak too but I thought the same about the Homecoming ones and that was great.

They've said it's set after Infinity War and because they've been so coy about End Game and all that I can't help but feel that there has to be more to the film in terms of where/when it's set. The marketing for Marvel has been so considered and calculated so far that it seems weird to give away that the world is normal again and everything is fixed after End Game.
    I'm thinking this is going to be an alternate universe or something like that. One where Fury contacts Spidey instead of Stark and Happy is flirting instead of Stark. Or something. Surely!

Otherwise why not just wait till after End Game to release this trailer?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    For fuck sake. At previous post.
  • ... I'm thinking this is going to be an alternate universe or something like that. One where Fury contacts Spidey instead of Stark and Happy is flirting instead of Stark. Or something. Surely! Otherwise why not just wait till after End Game to release this trailer?
    Spoiler:
  • djchump wrote:
    ... I'm thinking this is going to be an alternate universe or something like that. One where Fury contacts Spidey instead of Stark and Happy is flirting instead of Stark. Or something. Surely! Otherwise why not just wait till after End Game to release this trailer?
    Spoiler:

Ooooh, interesting!
    It's gotta be something like that.
  • speaking of style/substance, this popped up in my twitter today.  apparently an advert for a TV from a few years back, but pretty fucking cool.
    https://youtu.be/waepR666DRU
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm deffo in camp "release the trailer after we've had a chance to see Endgame".
  • Kow wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

I did not get this film at all. I thought it was drivel. Which surprises me, as I'm usually fairly in line with both Tempty and Ds' taste.
    Yup. I sit firmly in the garbage camp too.

• Tempy wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Mysterio was a standard villain in the 60s. Since at least the early 90s, he’s been a joke villain. Not saying they can’t do something good with him. I would though be surprised if it’s just him and not some bigger bad stirring things up in the background. Important Update: That might not be Hydroman and Sandman but some weird mystical monsters.
    Well, yes but I thought that would be spoilzies.
  • Maybe this is how they do it. Add all those post merger guys like the X-Men but in alternative universes post Endgame.
    It's certainly feasible that "Far from Home" doesn't refer to fucking Europe.
    I suspect Marvel are setting us up here, so I'm calling it now. Spider Mans ain't making it back home in Endgame.
  • Maybe a different spider man takes over in normal mcu while this spidey lives on in a different Sony verse with deadpool and venom.

And no I don't mean this means Myles Morales in the mcu. I want spider ham.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!