Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Jaco wrote:
    And alternate universes, time travel, new origin stories etc. have been part of comics for many, many decades. It's not an invention of the cinematic universe.

Absolutely. And I think they are accepted by comics readers as part of ‘how things are done’. But I think they’re potential cinematic no-go areas because they’ll feel like unsatisfying deus ex machina endings.

Just a hunch.
  • They do bear a relation, massively so, as they’re all inspired by famous arcs and stories. They just don’t directly translate everything in a story over. The MCU wouldn’t exist as we know it if it wasn’t for Mark Millar’s grotty but very prescient run of The Avengers.

People don’t really need to fully understand and follow all this BS to like it. The studio has generally done a good job of flattening the egregious complexities of all of these for a mainstream audience whilst keeping nerdy nods that news sites can mine for hits for months.
  • Alternatively, as the plots have got sillier, the films started taking themselves less seriously, had more gags and people preferred them.
  • Oh aye, no doubt Temps.

@pop: Yeah, I do wonder how long audiences (the general kind) will stay on the superhero train. You have to keep track of so many threads, storylines, character arcs and in-jokes – from multiple films and TV series – to get the best from the MCU / DCEU that outside the core market of comicbook geeks, I don't believe most folk can possibly know even 50% of what's going on.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Andy wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    There are no years in the dates on Parker's passport.

Have any of the films in the MCU referenced what year things are happening in, and what years people were born? That’s not a rhetorical question.

Dr Strange had an award won in 2016 or some such in his movie.
  • Andy wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Have any of the films in the MCU referenced what year things are happening in, and what years people were born? That’s not a rhetorical question.

Once again, in case anyone missed it:

SPOLIERS, OBVIOUSLY.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    g.man wrote:

Top nerding.
  • Sorry I didn't open your link Jaco. I'm enjoying the wild speculation and not actual researched theories :P
  • It's not a theory! It's actual data from Marvel, for crying out loud!
  • monkey wrote:
    In comicbook Secret Wars (the second one, but not Secret Wars 2 which is something else) the multi-verse gets blowed up, Dr Doom saves bits of it and globs it all together then Reed Richards makes a whole new multiverse. So new main universe like the old one but has marketable bits from other universes now handily inserted into its continuity. I'm expecting similar from Avengers 19: The Final Avengers We Promise. You'll get a Hugh Jackman cameo at the end or something.

They definitely aren't going to do this.

It was fucking stupid in the comics, and that included beings of immense power for it to be able to happen in the first place. We don't have anyone like that in the films, it would be harder to make it work, and most importantly, there is no need to do it.
  • We don't have anyone like that in the films

Yet. Eternals are scheduled for early next phase.
  • In comicbook Secret Wars (the second one, but not Secret Wars 2 which is something else) the multi-verse gets blowed up, Dr Doom saves bits of it and globs it all together then Reed Richards makes a whole new multiverse. So new main universe like the old one but has marketable bits from other universes now handily inserted into its continuity. I'm expecting similar from Avengers 19: The Final Avengers We Promise. You'll get a Hugh Jackman cameo at the end or something.
    They definitely aren't going to do this. It was fucking stupid in the comics, and that included beings of immense power for it to be able to happen in the first place. We don't have anyone like that in the films, it would be harder to make it work, and most importantly, there is no need to do it.
    Ego The Living Planet says you're wrong. This is also a universe where a magic super glove exists that can do ANYTHING. It's going to take something ludicrous to undo the last film. They've also just bought a load of their lucrative IP back and all their films are connected. I don't think it's out of the question that they'll combine that somehow. They normally do fine with that stuff. Tony Ironmans will fly through a magic vortex to undo time and Dr Strange will make a joke about "Either this works or you collide the entire multiverse together." Then it apparently works. It'll make sense for normos, but OMG Wolverine in the third end-credits scene OMG for the dweebs.
  • I don't see any of this taking off.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I say it takes off and nukes the entire site from orbit.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Marvel have stated since the beginning that the MCU bears no relation to the comic timelines / stories. It's completely standalone. And alternate universes, time travel, new origin stories etc. have been part of comics for many, many decades. It's not an invention of the cinematic universe.

You misunderstand me, pretty comprehensively. I’m not saying it was an invention of the cinematic universe. Not at all. My whole point was that it’s a comic book thing (and a fucking daft comic book thing at that) and that there should be no need to introduce such nonsense to the cinematic universe.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Lol at nerds in this thread calling out nerds.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just to fucking say in 1994 comic book Spiderman literally had a plot where it was revealed
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    Lol at nerds in this thread calling out nerds.

I was congratulating Shabby on a level of nerding to which I aspire.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If you're on this forum to begin with, you're a fucking ne... Oh.
  • g.man wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    New Ghostbusters film in production – sequel to the ’80s movies, unrelated to the reboot, written/directed by Jason Reitman, produced by his Dad.
    Jesus wept.

It has a teaser now.

• regmcfly wrote:
    Just to fucking say in 1994 comic book Spiderman literally had a plot where it was revealed
    Spoiler:

It's ok because
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    To break up the comic book end me now chat, I watched Cam today. Really enjoyed it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cracking central performance although it didn't end up as weird as I expected. The final 'bit' was class though.
  • I watched a camgirl, does that count?
  • Cracking central performance although it didn't end up as weird as I expected. The final 'bit' was class though.

Sounds out like you got almost the same out of it as I did. I did think you’d like it. Just need Tin to watch it now.

• Spider Man: Into the Spider-Verse

What a fantastic movie. The best of all the big screen Spider-Man films I'd say. Really glad I went to see it on the big screen. Loved nearly everything about it and can't wait to see it again.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm definitely buying on Blu-Ray. I still can't get over some of the animation in it, it's incredible.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The music is tops blooby too. The Prowler theme is immense but the bit when Biggie kicks in is probably the pinnacle. Or maybe the Post Malone sing along. I dunno, it's all good, I need a rewatch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!