Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Trying to broaden my horizons a bit this, especially in film, so I grabbed Fassbinder's "Ali: Fear Eats the Soul"

I know it's pretty much his most celebrated film, and likely his most accessible, but it is really enjoyable. Feels as relevant today as it did back then sadly. I imagine some people would struggle with El Hedi ben Salem's acting, or lack thereof, but I think the ending of the film sort of explains why he is so blank faced throughout. It's charming, and sad, and has a lot of hope in it.
  • Silence is golden. I was half expecting to be bored going in but found it fascinating.

In other news, can you lot please put all the superhero crap in the superhero crap thread? I'm just sick of it, and there's no need for it be in here.
  • But, but spandex.

I get moving the nitty gritty chat to the super thread but I think posting of trailers and reviews of the films should be here too.
  • Movies are movies. *shrug*
  • poprock wrote:
    Movies are movies. *shrug*

This. If you want a thread dedicated to odd little art house flicks and nothing else, you can always start one.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I do agree that the superhero theories discussions and stuff can be done in the other thread though
  • I don't see it taking off.
  • I hate fan theories
    The Forum Herald™
  • I do agree that the superhero theories discussions and stuff can be done in the other thread though

That's fair enough. But the trailers, discussion of the films etc. has as much right to be in here as anything else.

If you don't like it, don't read it.
  • JonB wrote:
    Silence is golden. I was half expecting to be bored going in but found it fascinating.

In other news, can you lot please put all the superhero crap in the superhero crap thread? I'm just sick of it, and there's no need for it be in here.

They're films. This is the film thread.
  • I thought it was a simple request. There's a thread for superhero films and TV shows. Use it.

Or think for a minute that some people might like reading about films but are absolutely sick of superhero films, at least all the details about how they all fit together and fan theories etc.

Or imagine if the book thread or the music thread was constantly clogged full of people talking about the same series or type of music that you have no interest in, even though you like books and music in general, and even though there's a specific thread about that series or type of music, and how that might get annoying.

3 pages of 'maybe Spiderman's going to turn into a spider with the powers of a man this time'. Put it all in the bin.

Edit: I mean, if there wasn't so much of it, it wouldn't be an issue. But there's tons of it. In films and TV. It's just too much to constantly have to wade through.
  • Wow, Jon really hit a nerve there, didn’t he?
  • The last few pages may have tipped me over the edge.
  • I'm no superhero geek (I haven't seen many of the DC / Marvel flicks), but I really don't care if folk want to talk about them. If they enjoy it, more power to them. In any thread, there are times when whole pages are taken up with discussion I'm not interested it. I just ignore it and dive into another thread. I'll dip back in when the conversation swings back to matters I'm interested in. You can't dictate what people should and shouldn't discuss. If it's on-topic, it's fine. IMO etc.

*shrugs*
  • I’m sure cat owners get fed up of the pets thread being 90% dog chat too.
  • I think it's a fair enough request from Jon and iirc it was why a superhero thread was made in the first place.

Tangents happen but with the frequency of superhero content superhero tangents can dominate discussion a bit.

It's a bit like if General Games News was constantly dominated by Destiny chat.
  • but the film thread is more often near the top of the list so.
  • So would the superhero one if it was used.
  • You guys do realise we're now off topic, yeah? Oh the irony.
  • I know there’s a documentaries thread but nobody reads that, so …

The really, really great Ayrton Senna biopic, Senna is now on Netflix in the UK – it arrived today. (It might have been on there before, I dunno.)

If you have even a passing interest in F1 or cars in general, I recommend it. Great film.
  • Jaco wrote:
    I'm no superhero geek (I haven't seen many of the DC / Marvel flicks), but I really don't care if folk want to talk about them. If they enjoy it, more power to them. In any thread, there are times when whole pages are taken up with discussion I'm not interested it. I just ignore it and dive into another thread. I'll dip back in when the conversation swings back to matters I'm interested in. You can't dictate what people should and shouldn't discuss. If it's on-topic, it's fine. IMO etc. *shrugs*
    "I'm not annoyed by this thing so it's perfectly fine."
    LivDiv wrote:
    I think it's a fair enough request from Jon and iirc it was why a superhero thread was made in the first place. Tangents happen but with the frequency of superhero content superhero tangents can dominate discussion a bit. It's a bit like if General Games News was constantly dominated by Destiny chat.
    Yes. The frequency of it is exactly the point. Like, it happens with Star Wars too, but not as often, so it's less of an issue.
  • I can appreciate Jon’s annoyance but more so in other threads about different things.

One thing I’ll say about Spider-Man (sorry Jon) is that it was to me a film that had interest in it beyond a superhero film. Yes it was a a superhero film but I think it was better than that in terms of its art style and audio and story being more coherent so in a way worthy of promotion and discussion outside of the superhero thread.
  • JonB wrote:
    I'm no superhero geek (I haven't seen many of the DC / Marvel flicks), but I really don't care if folk want to talk about them. If they enjoy it, more power to them. In any thread, there are times when whole pages are taken up with discussion I'm not interested it. I just ignore it and dive into another thread. I'll dip back in when the conversation swings back to matters I'm interested in. You can't dictate what people should and shouldn't discuss. If it's on-topic, it's fine. IMO etc. *shrugs*
    "I'm not annoyed by this thing so it's perfectly fine."

"This thing annoys me so I demand everyone kowtow to my will."

Also, genuine lol at crayon's first two sentences there...
  • The main prob was that Spider-man trailer was put in here, when they normally would go in the superhero thread. That started nine pages of top-tier Marvel dissection where Monkey was right. 
    Some bleeding in and going off topic is going to happen but keeping the trailers out of here is an easy enough rule to implement. 

There's also a Star Wars thread for trailers and shite so I can be right in there as well.
  • monkey wrote:
    There's also a Star Wars thread for trailers and shite so I can be right in there as well.

That depends. Did you enjoy TLJ?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    iirc it was why a superhero thread was made in the first place.

Which I said at the time was bollocks.

I've no interest in most of the films DS posts about, but I'm not calling for them to be sectioned off.
  • JonB wrote:
    Silence is golden. I was half expecting to be bored going in but found it fascinating.

This is a great pun and you should feel bad.
  • Jaco wrote:
    monkey wrote:

He said he can be right, not that he will be.
  • poprock wrote:
    I know there’s a documentaries thread but nobody reads that, so … The really, really great Ayrton Senna biopic, Senna is now on Netflix in the UK – it arrived today. (It might have been on there before, I dunno.) If you have even a passing interest in F1 or cars in general, I recommend it. Great film.

Great film.

There's also a Williams documentary on their but I haven't gotten round to watching it as when I put it on the t'internet was playing up.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Jaco wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Read the thread. Read all of it as punishment for being wrong about a film.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!