PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Watching Bringing Up Baby coz it's easy and fun
  • I heard it has the famous actor Leo Pard in it.
  • Jaco wrote:
    On the back of the superhero film scandal, I wish there was a way to ignore/sink threads that you have no interest in on here, so the cream has a better chance of rising to the top.
    That would be cool actually. Similar to the "ignore user" list, which is very helpful.
    I suggested this when Petey was looking for requested features for a bespoke forum. It was fairly uniformly dismissed, as was any other suggestion for anything extra to what we have now. God forbid we should suggest ideas in response to a request for ideas.

You could always just 'favourite' the threads you visit most often – then they appear in a seperate list on the right of the screen.
    I do that already. But I think user defined, custom sinking is a better solution than relying on our janitors. Same with stickying.
  • Terrified (Aterados)
    Argentinian horror film that cuts to the chase from the off. Sort of anthology style, concerning itself with a handful of houses in a block that end up spooked by paranormal nonsense. It's fun, effective, with decent special effects and a pleasingly comfortable "by the numbers" approach to this sort of stuff. The only thing I properly disliked was the awful sound mixing which had me reaching for the volume controls every thirty seconds, and some of the editing was very early to mid 2000s, choppy and obfuscating. Still, a good slice of regular old horror.

Mandy
    Ah. Well. I didn't really like this all that much? I think Cosmatos has made two films now that I haven't really enjoyed beyond a handful of aesthetic moments. The ideas in both are still more enjoyably done in Altered States IMO - and there are definitely shots that are totally lifted from that film. And lots of stuff lifted from other films too. I think it broke me when I realised they were going to fight with chainsaws. None of it really hung together for me and although it wasn't the worst film ever, like Beyond the Black Rainbow, I'd rather have been watching something else really. They definitely should have ditched the cult shit and just gone with the weird cenobite bikers too. I like what Cosmatos is swinging for, but it's an admirable miss I guess. Also those animated bits, ooft.
  • Christ the Guardian was raving about Mandy. This is the Nic Cage going absolute full on Nic Cage
    The Forum Herald™
  • Cage has gone full on Cage in the past. He’s done oscar winning, dumb, funny, maudlin, aggressive, wild, self parodying, knowing, insane, reserved performances. I didn’t think Mandy brought anything new or interesting to the table, but I imagine i’m in a minority.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Hell. Yes.

I'm a simple man, I see the RPats, I get in the queue for dem tickets boye. 

CEDRIC DIGGARY AND ONLY THE FIRST TWILIGHT FILM HOIYPE!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Wanted to watch Mandy last night, but wasn't in the mood for it. So went out and watched Spider-Man. Which was ace. Enjoyed it a lot and now I can catch up with the superhero thread again. Oh no, I need to go back a random number of pages in this thread! Which is also fine.

@Pop, that Pixar thing reads like something that's fun for the public, but might not work in the work environment. Seems to suggest that you have a higher chance of getting a better position within Pixar if you spent your free time making shorts, which takes a lot of time?
  • I’m assuming they give over an amount of free time to animators who want to give it a try – sort of having an open proposals system and approving the best to go make stuff. I dunno – lots of assumptions there and no idea what really happens! I’m guessing along the lines of Google’s system.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Might have read it the wrong way first time, could well be what you suggested.

It's such a competitive field though and that worried me a bit at first.
  • Nah, you could easily be right – I’ve no idea, just assumptions …
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Flora only wants to watch daft stuff right now so it's Naked Gun 2 1/2 tonight
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Don't call me Shirley
  • Sparkshorts is a logical extension of their existing shorts program (which gives us the short before each Pixar main). In itself, it’s a sensible application of the looney tunes shorts incubation program that produced/enabled/honed some legendary talent and characters.
  • I assume it will be like the Double Fine Amnesia Fortnite stuff.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Don't call me Shirley

o/
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    \o
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Flora only wants to watch daft stuff right now so it's Naked Gun 2 1/2 tonight

Oh yes that’s a fine choice! Some absolute belters of a line in there
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Edit: Maybe a better fit for the other thread.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Cage has gone full on Cage in the past. He’s done oscar winning, dumb, funny, maudlin, aggressive, wild, self parodying, knowing, insane, reserved performances. I didn’t think Mandy brought anything new or interesting to the table, but I imagine i’m in a minority.

Yeah I don't get the Cage praise for Mandy. I think he's a brilliant actor when in the right role (Adaptation!!!!!!) but in Mandy he just feels like he's putting it on, it didn't feel natural. He's one of the few actors that can do crazy natural. I think he's become too much of a meme for most people so that's what they're looking for.

High Life looks great though. Classic A24. Pattinson has done a great job separating himself from his Twilight fame
  • I dislike that whole “classic A24” thing, they’re a production house and distributor with a keen eye for picking up projects, but it sort of flattens the process to a “produced by Netflix thing”. Claire Denis has done many films so attributing it to A24 seems weird to me.

Not a jab at you either, i’ve just heard it a bunch recently and it irks me. Fetishisation of a company sort of.

I ageee with the Cage bit though. I get the feeling he was told to “just go crazy or whatever”, when what he benefits from is right direction.
  • I think I've heard of about 5 of their films, and never heard of the company. Are they a big deal that's passed me by?
  • In film criticism circles yes
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A24 is a very "filmista" thing
  • Ah, so more critically successful than commercially?
  • They’ve got quite the list of produced films though, a lot to love, but i’m just wary of attributing it all to them rather than the directors.

Under the Skin, Enemy, and Killing of a Sacred Deer instantly stick out as three that would always get attributed to the director first and foremost, so there’s I guess a dynamic there of known/lesser known when attributing style etc
  • I think I've heard of about 5 of their films, and never heard of the company. Are they a big deal that's passed me by?

Okay, I didn’t recognise the name either but, looking at the list of films, seriously only five?
  • Andy wrote:
    I think I've heard of about 5 of their films, and never heard of the company. Are they a big deal that's passed me by?

Okay, I didn’t recognise the name either but, looking at the list of films, seriously only five?

Spring Breakers
    Ex Machina
    Moonlight
    The Killing of a Sacred Deer
    The Disaster Artist
    Hereditary

So 6, which is about 5.
  • And spring breakers is fucking awful so it might as well be five.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!