Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Roma. Jesus fuck, that scene. I think that's the most awful thing I've ever seen.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    tempy we will fight over mandy
  • Kow wrote:
    Roma. Jesus fuck, that scene. I think that's the most awful thing I've ever seen.

After parenthood is hard to not get choked up by things like that. I think it's the sincerity of Steve Martin's acting. It leaves you an emotional cripple for life.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • tempy we will fight over mandy

*fart noises*
  • Tempy wrote:
    I dislike that whole “classic A24” thing, they’re a production house and distributor with a keen eye for picking up projects, but it sort of flattens the process to a “produced by Netflix thing”. Claire Denis has done many films so attributing it to A24 seems weird to me.

Not a jab at you either, i’ve just heard it a bunch recently and it irks me. Fetishisation of a company sort of.

I ageee with the Cage bit though. I get the feeling he was told to “just go crazy or whatever”, when what he benefits from is right direction.

Oh I'm not really attributing the whole of the creation of the film to A24 but you can't deny that they're doing a great job of financing talented people with interesting projects that, I feel, wouldn't get financed by any or many other production houses.

And I don't think it's so bad to give credit to companies like Netflix and A24 because (especially with Netflix) they're seemingly giving free creative reign to these people to make whatever they want. I know that Oz Perkins (I think) said he never would have gotten to make I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House without Netflix because it's a film that has one character that is female and just has her talking to herself. Hollywood ain't buying/financing that. Same with lady trapped on a bed Gerald's Game.

I certainly talk about a director or writer when discussing a film but I think I also generally involve the production house like A24 as well just because I feel they're allowing me to see films I wouldn't otherwise get to see. But I can understand your frustrations if people just say A24 and nothing else.
  • Sat through a film called Wonder, with the kids. Edifying and sweet.
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story

Eventually got around to watching this, and overall it's actually quite an enjoyable little romp. I don't think it really fits into my own 'head canon' for the Han from the main films, but fortunately it doesn't try to force itself into the mainline films as a kind of 'episode 3.5' (well, other than one huge facepalm moment that i could have done without) in the way the rogue squadron does.
    As such, viewed as a separate stand-alone 'story', it's a pretty good sci-fi adventure.
    I may risk dredging up a star wars thread to discuss more there...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I enjoyed it at the time but retrospectively have grown to dislike it more as I think about it.

Will rewatch on Sky and see if that helps.
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Two David Lean epics:

Lawrence of Arabia and Dr Zhivago.

Man he knows what a film is supposed to look like.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yes. Never has a film looked better than Lawrence of Arabia. The scene where we meet Omar Sharif’s character is pure elegance.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eyeing up Bridge over The River Kwai and Ryan's Daughter next before A Passage to India which I've never seen.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Yes. Never has a film looked better than Lawrence of Arabia. The scene where we meet Omar Sharif’s character is pure elegance.

There's a cut from a lit match to the heat of the desert that is sublime.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Saw Ryan's Daughter in completion for the first time over Christmas. Despite a few of the usual cod Irish accents, I was surprised by what a good film it is. John Ford turns in a sterling performance.
  • Oscar nominations!

In spoiler tags so you can expand/hide the long list at will. Not because they’re spoilers. I don’t know the winners yet, put your betting slips away.

Spoiler:
  • … But if we are doing predictions? I dunno, because Roma is a critical darling, but I would love to see Matty Libatique win Best Cinematography for his work on A Star is Born. Man’s a genius.
  • poprock wrote:
    … But if we are doing predictions?

I reckon Gaga for best female.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I think she deserves that, but doubt the Academy will give her it. Gaga should end up with Best Original Song, at least. It’s a fucking shambles if not.

I think Costume Design is a tough call between Black Panther and Mary Poppins.
  • Nominating a football club is a bit weird, but sure.
  • Really don't know why Cooper and Gaga's performances are getting so much hype. They were merely okay. *shrug*
  • Give it to Olivia Coleman. I haven't seen The Favourite but she's just the best
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I fear she's not glam enough for the Oscars..

But yeah for sure she deserves one.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Really don't know why Cooper and Gaga's performances are getting so much hype. They were merely okay. *shrug*

They were better than Black Panther, which is bizarrely nominated for Best Picture.
  • poprock wrote:
    Really don't know why Cooper and Gaga's performances are getting so much hype. They were merely okay. *shrug*

They were better than Black Panther, which is bizarrely nominated for Best Picture.
    Cooper and Gaga hype is just a studio push. BP is the Academy desperately trying to be woke.
  • poprock wrote:
    Really don't know why Cooper and Gaga's performances are getting so much hype. They were merely okay. *shrug*

I don't really think it's that bizarre. It's a really good film.
  • I didn’t think so. Horses for courses etc.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Black Pather is of a similar level to Bohemian Rhapsody...
  • It’s bog standard superhero boilerplate wrapped in some nice afrofuturism.
  • ^ Monkey’s right.

Although I think that Afrofuturist wrapping is so nice that it probably deserves to win Best Production Design.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    One of the short doco noms is a Graun film. If you want, you can watch it here:

• Black panther is good but I don't even think it's near an Oscar level film. If the academy is doing it to be 'woke there is better. It has an important place in mainstream cinema but still.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!