Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • This has reminded me to watch Tyrannosaur again.
  • Kow wrote:
    Long way up from Peep Show.

Peep Show is better than the Oscars.

But, yeah... Fair play to her. She's really acted her way to the top, rather than starting off in Hollywood.
  • JonB wrote:
    Yep. That's become the model Oscar bait film. Based on a true story is always a bonus too, to show what a great job the actors did of 'becoming' an actual person.

Rami Malek winning is a good example IMO. It's not that great a performance - you never think you're actually watching FM rather than an impersonation of him - but it's the right kind of performance for awards.

I know they are minor roles but I thought the other band mates were closer to their real life versions, especially may and deacon. That said, I did enjoy the film as vanilla as it is. Always loved queens stuff so having their basic story in a film was fine for me.

SFV - reddave360
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Watched the Oscar nominated animated shorts and live action shorts on Saturday. Missed the documentaries this year but I love that they're in theaters for about a month.

Funny that in the live action category the worst one won. I had Detainment as a favourite (but that apparently didn't go down so well as a nomination in the UK, only read about it afterwards), B thought Fauve was the best one, but we both agreed that Skin (the only USA short) was the worst. From the 3 shorts with kids as actors he definitely did the worst job, and the whole thing was just a bit silly.
    Madre and Marguerite were both good but didn't wrap up that well (music that kicked in in Madre's last scene felt very out of place, and the last scene in Marguerite felt a bit awkward).

Bao to get the win for animated short was to be expected, it was really good (and Pixar). The other that could have won must have been One Small Step, that was some incredible animation work there.
    Animal Behavior was my favourite, not animated incredibly well or anything, but the timing and script was just good. It's really funny, and everyone (which doesn't mean that much as it wasn't that busy) seemed to laugh at least a couple times during that short.
    I liked the style of Weekends but it was a bit off a mess in places, and Late Afternoon was just what you expect from a hand drawn animation and therefore fairly boring. Something like you've seen plenty of times before.

Well worth it to look them up (or some of them), I enjoyed almost all of them. Need to make more of an effort last year to catch all the categories (animation, live action and documentaries) but can't say they advertise it well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m going to see the animated shorts at the Barbican on Thursday.
  • They were gonna show animated trousers but given the weather...
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • You mean they showed The Wrong Trousers?
  • Trying to think of some film atm where someone (probably a guy) ends up going back in time so someone else (probably a woman) never meets him and falls in love, because falling in love with him causes xyz problems. Not eternal sunshine.

Any ideas?
  • The Butterfly Effect?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Time Travelers wife?
  • g.man wrote:
    The Butterfly Effect?

I think that was it, cheers.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Time Travelers wife?
    \

Fucking spoilers, you prick.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Terminator.
  • Just watched Shoplifters, Oscar nommed Japanese film. 
    It's been a while since I watched a Japanese film and I forgot how, when I am in the mid, they are lovely low key movies. Anyways, I really enjoyed it and it's a bit of a sad one.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Gremill wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    The rest can go in the bin but this is great.

I've always been a fan of her and this just cements her status as one of my all time favourites.

Really is wonderful. Brought a tear to me eye it did.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Rewatched Whiplash tonight. What a great film that is.
  • Yar. Such an efficient and effective film.
  • Whiplash is pretty ace, really shows how quite unlikeable characters can make a great film. The audio commentary track with the director and JK Simmons is interesting and pretty funny, well worth checking out if it's available to you.
  • Just saw this on iPlayer - Score: Cinema's Greatest Soundtracks Looks like it must have been aired a few years ago, must have missed it at the time.

Goes through the history of film music, alternating between that and individual composers contribution as well as some of the weird and wonderful intruments and techniques used. Rousing and nostalgic stuff, all those moments hit you right in the feels.

Happens to sound really great too, great dynamic range. Crank it up, sit back and enjoy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Bao to get the win for animated short was to be expected, it was really good (and Pixar). The other that could have won must have been One Small Step, that was some incredible animation work there.
    Animal Behavior was my favourite, not animated incredibly well or anything, but the timing and script was just good. It's really funny, and everyone (which doesn't mean that much as it wasn't that busy) seemed to laugh at least a couple times during that short.
    I liked the style of Weekends but it was a bit off a mess in places, and Late Afternoon was just what you expect from a hand drawn animation and therefore fairly boring. Something like you've seen plenty of times before.

Just come out of this and had pretty much the exact opposite reaction to you. I thought Late Afternoon was the best of these. Not the best animation, but the most interesting idea behind it and one that could only really have been told through animation.

Weekends had the best style and was the favourite of the two animators I was with, despite the slightly ropy animation.

I enjoyed Animal Behaviour a lot, but felt that the story just kind of stopped without a satisfying ending.

I agree that One Small Step looked incredible, but the fact of it being cel-shaded graphics did somewhat dull my appreciation of the quality of animation, plus I thought the story was pretty cheesy.

Bao was tediously efficient Pixar being Pixar which left me cold.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Just saw this on iPlayer - Score: Cinema's Greatest Soundtracks Looks like it must have been aired a few years ago, must have missed it at the time.

Goes through the history of film music, alternating between that and individual composers contribution as well as some of the weird and wonderful intruments and techniques used. Rousing and nostalgic stuff, all those moments hit you right in the feels.

Happens to sound really great too, great dynamic range. Crank it up, sit back and enjoy.

Spotted that the other day. May give it a watch/listen this evening.

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Watched and enjoyed Score with the sound cranked up.
  • Can someone tell me if Mandy is demonic or just a bunch of nutters? Mrs won’t watch anything demonic.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It is
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There is some
    Spoiler:
  • Watched Prometheus for the first time since it first came out - have to say I quite enjoyed it. Its utter bobbins of course but looks great while it fails to make sense.
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!