jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Somewhat underwhelmed by Booksmart but it was quite good fun overall.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saw Stranglelove projected yesterday.

Looked glorious.  :)

Also novel seeing it in the cinema with people laughing around me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The following Godzilla films were campy and ridiculous but it didn't mean they weren't political or addressing themes such as outsiders, racism, pollution,  war and all sorts of other things. They just weren't as portentous as Godzilla. Godzila himself tends to represent different things, and then you've got stuff like Mechagodzilla representing Japanese re-armament.  SCAP really put a dampener on anti-american/anti-nuke attitudes in cinema, 'Zilla avoided that by being in 54, after the taboo was lifted, but even Rashomon has a nod towards the bombing - the gate at the start and the rain are directly referencing the state of Hiroshima after the attack. There's the argument that all Japanese cinema after the bombing is utterly in thrall of it, and even if it seems largely academic and sometimes spurious, it's hard to avoid. Very few things really match it in terms of an event. You see it kicking off the Yakuza - men needing familial and patriarchal bonds in a time when there was no military, spawning around Hiroshima markets in general, represented through some of the most popular films of the time. It also follows through in plenty of Horror films. Sadako in the ring is an obvious name call to a famous child who was 2 when the bombs hit, the way her eye is framed is reminiscent of the pika of the bomb (see how eerily similar it is to the blast in Akira) and Pulse as an off the cuff example (and Kiyoshi's films in general) pore over the dilapidated ruins of suburban Japan, with Pulse specifically having ashen shadows of humans as an effect of the films techno-horror plot. Random fact about Otomo's illustration of the explosion that engulfs Tokyo that doesn't really translate well to animated version: The actual black of the explosion isn't as simple as him colouring it in, he took days drawing it as it's made of thousands of tiny little lines all layered on top of each other, as a way of trying to conceptualise the horror and the lives lost in the bombing. It's sort of clear in any decent high rez version of the image 5780e819aa14b049b86d67d3293d5d50.jpg
    Late to the party, but I always loved the destruction in the final scene of Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis...

I suspect Kubrick would have approved

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. I remember that one too.  The choice of music was striking.
  • Yep, add me to the pile of people that got blown the fuck downtown by the end of Metropolis.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Can’t see the link because firewall, but I assume that’s the “I can’t stop loving you” scene?
  • It is. Nice to see you bud :)
  • Can’t see the link because firewall, but I assume that’s the “I can’t stop loving you” scene?
    It is indeed, and yes it's good to see you. Just sorry it's not under better circumstances.

hang in there Cinty

g.man
  • Saw John Wick 3. Absolutely loved it. Keanu must be absolutely wrecked after these films, seems he really puts his all into the action. The fights were incredible, choreography insane. I'd also take a spin off film with Hallie Berry and dogs.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    How many dogs did she have?
    Spoiler:
  • jdanielp wrote:
    How many dogs did she have?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Ah, ok. Yes, those are some well-trained dogs.
  • You see
    Spoiler:
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    You see
    Spoiler:

Oh. Neither I nor my friends remembered that.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    You see
    Spoiler:

Oh. Neither I nor my friends remembered that.

Aye it's just before
    Spoiler:
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • I saw Godzilla 2. It had big monsters, I enjoyed big monsters. The movie around the big monsters could have been a bit better and less cliche but it was still big monstery enough for me to like it.
  • Yep. Nice big monsters. It’s an average movie, but I liked the monsters and fights.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • the classic action movie formula is basically explosions+fights+gratuitous nudity. Seems to me they're missing a trick not making Godzilla explicitly female and giving her some giant boobies! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Tits and Dragons? It'll never take off.
  • I think my only big gripe was that I was hoping some of the shots would have been held just a smidge longer so you could take it in a bit. Longer takes in these sorts of movies really helps I find.
    Bring on Godzilla vs Kong!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Been having a grand old time reading a number of reports, most recently the Grauniad about RPatz Batman audition. Apparently they're most concerned about his jawline and lips under the mask and that this is what put him ahead of Hoult.

Granted, I'd fucking tongue RPatz but wild if this was the decider.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Act of Killing.

Dear me what a ride. The ending is challenging. To have felt sympathy - I think it's wrong but feel it's right.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Been having a grand old time reading a number of reports, most recently the Grauniad about RPatz Batman audition. Apparently they're most concerned about his jawline and lips under the mask and that this is what put him ahead of Hoult.

Granted, I'd fucking tongue RPatz but wild if this was the decider.

If it doesnt look right just CG a mouth over the top. What could go wrong?
  • Wait, Batman is a dracula now?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The clues were always there.

MattBerryBAAAAT.gif
  • No, that was Bruce Wayne!

4A54A8D300000578-5516665-image-m-71_1521420416442.jpg
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    John Wick 3 a bit of a mixed bag then. Overall it seemed they weren't quite sure what tone to go for and there were several awkward/cringey moments, a few involving Mark Dacascos.

Even the action and set pieces weren't quite enough to save this one. Some of the fight scenes looked stilted, with guys quite obviously waiting a few seconds for the next hit at points. The Reeves/Berry sequence in particular was weak.

Also, fucking lolled at Jerome popping up with that god awful Itialian accent. Bang average overall and probably should've called it a day there. Might skip the cinema outing for 4.
  • John Wick 2. Utterly ridiculous, so bad it's good.
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!