Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Best soundtrack, too. The Dickies recorded a brilliant cover of the theme tune.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Edge of Tomorrow last night.

Enjoyable but disposable. The alien design wasn't the hottest - it's as if the Matrix sentinels had never been seen before,  but the action was effective.

The videogame parallel of try, try again and the humour helped it along enormously. Of course it was like Groundhog Day with guns but I enjoyed it anyhow. Emily was hot.

Ludicrous how the squad were persuaded but it had to move along somehow I suppose and the light heartedness of the film allowed for it.

A sequel is planned which I don't think will hold up - it isn't a strong enough offering for that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Why has Groundhog Day never been re-released as its own sequel?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This sure is a left turn.

• Somebody didn’t get five nights at Freddie’s licence.
  • Well that’s The Thing watched. Quite something.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tell me you loved it. What I like about it is that it doesn’t age for me. The effects (apart from the one end scene) are still amazing and the setting means we lose a lot of the “modern” trappings that date films. Some great character pieces too.
  • Yeah, it doesn’t seem to have aged badly at all. Was the 4K remaster (in 1080p), so was clear as crystal. Great score too. Did X-files basically do the same story?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yeah, they did Ice. It wasn't quite as good.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don’t remember that Ep. 

Though all this talk is making me want to watch the Thing again.
  • Ha! It had Dana Skully in it, of course it was better!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • The Thing is a near-perfect movie. Wish I could experience it for the first time all over again.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Wait til Alzheimer's sets in
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    What?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A shit load of Marvel next phase stuff and plot points and newly casted but not announced actors just got leaked from pseudonym Roger Wardrell who has priors for getting stuff bang on. So yknow, be careful. Or ask me, who read it all.
  • davyK wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    The Thing is brilliant. I assume we are talking about the Carpenter version with Kurt Russell? There was a remake but I have no idea what it's like.
    Not a remake but a prequel.  It’s not patch on Carpenter’s, but I really quite enjoyed it.

Didn't know it was a prequel - thought it was one those redundant remakes. Will give that a watch when I get a chance.

It's okay. But it suffers from the fact that the filmmakers made the whole thing nearly entirely with real puppets and effects and then the studio said "yeah nah" and made them replace all the effects with CG. There's behind the scenes footage on YouTube of the puppet stuff.
    It also doesn't try and do anything new with the concept really.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I watched it and instantly forgot everything about it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Thing also has an Asteroids Deluxe cabinet in the background of the recreation room.  :)
  • The Hobbit is even shitter than I remember.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • And a lot camper.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Don't think you could pay me to sit through any of the hobbit trilogy again. Being bad is one thing. But 3 plus hours of bad? Fuck that
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Don't think you could pay me to sit through any of the hobbit trilogy again. Being bad is one thing. But 3 plus hours of bad? Fuck that

I feel the same about LotR films too tbh.  Trash tier passion projects - the lot of em. Never got the love.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Don't think you could pay me to sit through any of the hobbit trilogy again. Being bad is one thing. But 3 plus hours of bad? Fuck that

I feel the same about LotR films too tbh.  Trash tier passion projects - the lot of em. Never got the love.

I'm more fogiving but I don't think they have aged as well as something like star wars or Indy. Simply put they are far too bloated for no real reason.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I'm more fogiving but I don't think they have aged as well as something like star wars or Indy. Simply put they are far too bloated for no real reason.

The bloat give GRAVITAS and Oscar noms. Simples.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I still like the LoTR extended editions. I have the Hobbit extended editions too - a result of me being hit with completist-mania but I can't remember much about them. There are extra fighting scenes with the dwarves in the 5 armies battle which are a bit of fun but that's it.

I've upgraded the LoTR to BluRay but I doubt I'll do the same with The Hobbit. Martin Freeman really is rather good in it though.

A Del Toro 2 parter would really have been worth doing :(
  • Can't wait to watch The Thing in 4K. One of my all time faves.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I watched Always Be My Maybe last night, new film on Netflix starring Amy Wong and Randall Park. Its a rom com type thing so it's either your thing or isn't - I liked it a lot. Different take on the genre with Asian American leads, it's funny and genuine and endearing.

I'm a sucker for that type of movie but worth a go.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd prefer to saoy a bag of nails.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I still like the LoTR extended editions. I have the Hobbit extended editions too - a result of me being hit with completist-mania but I can't remember much about them. There are extra fighting scenes with the dwarves in the 5 armies battle which are a bit of fun but that's it.

I've upgraded the LoTR to BluRay but I doubt I'll do the same with The Hobbit. Martin Freeman really is rather good in it though.

A Del Toro 2 parter would really have been worth doing :(

This sums me up pretty much. Freeman (and Benedict) was the only good thing in this CGIfest. LoTR will always be a classic piece of cinema for me. Me and my daughter still love watching the extended versions. Even watched all the hours of the making docs which is seriously impressive stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!