Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Smaug is a great cinematic character and a great performance. I believe there's even some motion capture in there too.

Could have made more of it - and 2 films would have done that. To little spread too far. Much like what Frodo said in LoTR - like butter spread too thin.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've been rewatching Satantango over the weekend. Disc 3 tonight - the final 2h50m

Has been at least 5 years but it's a hell of a lot better than I remember. Really surprised at that. Was prompted to do this when I stumbled across a review of it. I had the impression of a cloudy narrative but it isn't like that at all. It may be because I'm more aware of the Rashomon style of repetition from different viewpoints. There are times when it really is quite tense. Would love to see it projected but that is unlikely to ever happen unless I move to New York or somewhere with an arthouse cinema community.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Brightburn is my second favourite film of the year so far, but I wish I hadn't seen the trailer beforehand... I don't understand why its ratings are so low on IMDb.
  • Ah bless, the more I see of Brie Larson the nicer she seems to be! Giving some major props to her stunt doubles here: https://twitter.com/brieIarsonstan/status/1140799809789415425
  • Anyone seen this?

91fhGC%2Bxx2L._SY445_.jpg

Colleague described it this morning and I'm toying with an old school dvd purchase.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah it's a really solid thriller
  • Had a suspicion you'd be my guy.  Ordered, ta.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finished Satantango then. Still a splendid film and there's probably more to it than I'm seeing. I'm actually tempted to try the book.

The ending is a bit of a mind fuck but that's par for the course with this sort of thing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    Brightburn is my second favourite film of the year so far, but I wish I hadn't seen the trailer beforehand... I don't understand why its ratings are so low on IMDb.

Feel I’d have loved this going in blind. Like Get Out the trailer is ridiculously spoilery.
  • I’m still mad that the logo they used made it look like a Nameless adaptation, instead it is some guff “superman but bad” thing
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    jdanielp wrote:

Feel I’d have loved this going in blind. Like Get Out the trailer is ridiculously spoilery.

I'd only half-watched the trailer so it wasn't too bad although the half hour or so was pretty much what I'd expected. I thought it was well made and nicely atmospheric despite that and while I guessed a lot of what came after that I still very much enjoyed it.
  • I watched Aladdin. It was actually better than I thought it would be. Some of the versions of songs aren't so bad (although some are) and they did a good job of expanding most of the characters in meaningful ways. The sultan is the opposite though and kind of a waste.
    I think it would have been much better if they removed any and all references or lines taken from the cartoon. It detracts from you thinking of it as its own thing and reminds you that there's an overall better version.
  • The Terminator is now on Netflix and I am still just about awake enough to whisper fuck yeah.
  • What yeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrreee
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    The Terminator is now on Netflix and I am still just about awake enough to whisper fuck yeah.

Saw that too and we are about to watch
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sonofabitch took my pants
    hay baaardy, didchuu jes' sea a real braaht laaht?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Hi there.  Hahaha fooled you, you're talking to a belt making sex machine.
  • Toy Story 4 then, yep!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The review I've read says it maintains the quality. :)
  • Aye, it’s great.
  • Having recently finished some UK promo videos for it, I'm pretty sick at looking at the characters smiling at me as deadline loomed...

But taking my boy to see it in the morning :)
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Aye, it’s great.

So the best trilogy is now the best quadrilogy?
  • Tetralogy?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'd certainly rank it above the Shrek quadrilogy.
  • I've been on a right French extreme thing recently, rewatched Seul Contre Tous, Irreversible and Baise Moi. Really liked SCT, what a powerhouse of a film. Can anyone recommend my next? I've seen Martyrs, 90% of Inside, and Sheitan. Frontier(s)? Ils?

I'll be hitting up the dark media thread with requests.

This is probably a paging Dr.DS kinda moment.
  • I went to see In Fabric yesterday, Peter Strickland's new film. It's an odd one, certainly - the superficial description of it as a film about a Killer Dress somehow still understates its weirdness. There are a whole bunch of meaty strands in there, comments on consumerism, our relationship with clothing, the obfuscation of truth with language, our collective manipulation by powers we may or may not understand etc etc. These are, however, delivered via the means a of seemingly Giallo inspired campy horror, complete with balding vampiric shop assistants, which rubs up against brief bouts of kitchen sink realism.

Like I say, it's a weird one. There was a point halfway through, where I felt the immaculately composed aesthetics, and beautiful sound design, were no longer enough to keep me engaged. It was threatening to become boring, only for me to realise that I was watching for the wrong things and invested in the wrong story - something the film makes abundantly clear, without really telling you what it actually is you are supposed to be following. (Is this the story of the dress, or its owner, or the store, or the staff, or the brilliantly awful Stash & Clive? Possibly none of the above.)

When the film stopped playing, I heard someone in the row behind me turn to her friend and say "I told you, this is why we shouldn't go to see these sorts of films". It's fair to say, it's not for everyone. As I walked out I wasn't even entirely sure that I disagreed with them. However it's stuck in my head ever since, re-arranging it, trying to understand it, with individual images popping back in. It's strange, sometimes hilarious, sometimes dull, always visually and sonically immaculate. I can't recommend it if you're someone who suspects they don't like "those sorts of films", but if you don't mind not being sure what you've just seen, it's worth your time.
  • I loved Berberian so I'm well up for that
  • So it’s basically a non-horny Kill la Kill?

@nickMD Martyrs? That’s the obvious one
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    I'd certainly rank it above the Shrek quadrilogy.

Always preferred Toy Story to Shrek. Shrek was very good but it doesn't have the heart of Toy Story and as I thought at the time, it hasn't aged all that well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!