Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Watched Glass last night - was decent enough, McAvoy was brilliant as expected. But overall it was a bit of a damp squib.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Quality dip of some scale today. From two "yeah, good enough" films, to one that committed a cardinal sin - not of being bad, as there's a certain jouissance to that - one of being boring.
    So it was with Men In Black International today, a movie that could (should?) have been a slam dunk - two MCU stars, established (although I guess, perhaps one could argue "tired") franchise, safe pair of hands with a successful F&F director, and a relatively quiet summer. But despite the fact the movie uses many jokes from the previous movies (especially the first) in a "hey, wink, do you remember this? Or if not, isn't it funny for the first time?" Way, I didn't laugh, or even smile once. In fact, the two best moments of the film were when there was an obscure reference to Star Wars Episode 1, to which I thought "hey that's a thing I get and now I hate myself" and when, in a scene in London, a Gregg's showed up on screen and the child behind me shouted "SAUSAGE ROLL!" I did laugh at that, tbh.
    So yeah, it's boring, far too predictable and squanders a decent cash cow. Keep the MiB under wraps for another decade I reckon.
  • Should have done everything they could to land the 21 Jump Street cross over. It would have come with an adult rating but the kids dont care about MiB.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Quality dip of some scale today. From two "yeah, good enough" films, to one that committed a cardinal sin - not of being bad, as there's a certain jouissance to that - one of being boring.
    So it was with Men In Black International today, a movie that could (should?) have been a slam dunk - two MCU stars, established (although I guess, perhaps one could argue "tired") franchise, safe pair of hands with a successful F&F director, and a relatively quiet summer. But despite the fact the movie uses many jokes from the previous movies (especially the first) in a "hey, wink, do you remember this? Or if not, isn't it funny for the first time?" Way, I didn't laugh, or even smile once. In fact, the two best moments of the film were when there was an obscure reference to Star Wars Episode 1, to which I thought "hey that's a thing I get and now I hate myself" and when, in a scene in London, a Gregg's showed up on screen and the child behind me shouted "SAUSAGE ROLL!" I did laugh at that, tbh.
    So yeah, it's boring, far too predictable and squanders a decent cash cow. Keep the MiB under wraps for another decade I reckon.

I'm a Toydarian, mind wipes don't work on me?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nope, even more obscure. It was when Chris Hemsworth's character was
    Spoiler:

In a movie with Liam Neeson no less.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Should have done everything they could to land the 21 Jump Street cross over. It would have come with an adult rating but the kids dont care about MiB.

You ever read the comics? They're not really for kids either.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Nope, even more obscure. It was when Chris Hemsworth's character was
    Spoiler:

In a movie with Liam Neeson no less.

Doesn’t seem that obscure to me. That’s one of only about three things that I remember from that shitfest of a film.
  • Uh, yeah, that's really not obscure at all. Paul's reference is though. No idea what a Toydarian is.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Toydarian is an alien from Men In Black and I forgot I was on the geek forum. Sorry.
  • Not really a 'geek forum' thing, surely? The whole world shat its collective pants when Lucas tried to science the force.
  • Midachlorians are the one thing anyone who remembers anything from that film can recall.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Toydarian is an alien from Men In Black Star Wars Episode One and I forgot I was on the geek forum. Sorry.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Jesus Christ I need to retire myself
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Is Watto a toydarian
  • I believe he is supposed to be a Jew
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I need this video right now to get out of this situation.

https://twitter.com/LoganLofgren/status/1146051595437793281?s=19
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Is Watto a toydarian

Correcto.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Back in the game
  • The Men in Black films have all been terrible crap. Even featuring Lara Flynn Boyle in a corset couldn’t save them.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought the first one was really good fun. The rest were turds.
  • The first is genuinely great.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Love the dark humour in the first film too.

This still raises a smile.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Midsommar is like the wicker man
    Spoiler:
    but with a weird side line about a woman finding someone who agrees with her feelings.

Some of the parts feel unintentionally hilarious (but maybe they’re meant to be)?

Also: the director really digs this idea that if you do something stupid but have In film text showing it in advance you can do anything and it feels pretty fucking ham fisted the second time round.

Finally the whole thing is kind of bizarre and you wonder if it’s all fake anyway.
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The review I read of Midsomar did say it was supposed to be a horror comedy, not that I got any of the comedy from the trailer.
  • It’s one of those weird things where you get caught up in the tension of the moment but the release is not tragic so it must be comedic.

If one were to describe any of the funny things it wouldn’t be but some how it pops the right emotion. the timing is also very punchliney
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right, it's Dark Phoenix this morning. Really, all I plan on doing is gauging whether it is better or worse than Men In Black
  • I’m guessing better, but still shit.
  • I might be remembering wrong but isnt Wolverine quite an important part of the Phoenix thing.

I'm sure I remember his regenerative abilities meant he was the only one who could get near her but he didnt want to harm her because he loves Jean.
  • Wasn’t that in one of the previous X-Men movies?
  • The third one probably although I think I'm remembering the cartoon.

Either requires Jean Grey to be a developed character the audience care about.
    When did Sophie Turner join the series? The last movie? I cant remember anything of young Jean Grey.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!