Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I_R wrote:
    I'm missing the stand alone blockbuster. Everything has to be a franchise now.
    Just go see the first film and ignore all follow-ups.
  • poprock wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    I'm missing the stand alone blockbuster. Everything has to be a franchise now.
    Just go see the first film and ignore all follow-ups.

But don't you want to know how [character name] got [characteristic]? And what happened to [forgettable side character]? What about [loose plot point deliberately left open in the event of a sequel]?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Toy Story 4 - I cried twice, it was good fun, very much the Key and Peele show which is fine by me, please make no more.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Toy Story 4 - I cried twice, it was good fun, very much the Key and Peele show which is fine by me, please make no more.

Pretty much what Kermode said. 

The Toy Story movies are great, but 4 is more than enough.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    These movies get me every time coz I was a literal child when the first came out (10) and I've grown up with them but I don't need any more. I'll create any time I see old slinky :(
  • I saw an advert for a zombie action comedy buddy cop movie with Bill Murray and Adam Driver in.

Sign me the fuck up.

I can remember the name. I am the blurst.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The Dead Don’t Die?
  • You see Bill Murray and Adam Driver. I see new Jarmusch.
  • A Jim Jarmusch joint that is apparently not all that
  • Tempy wrote:
    A Jim Jarmusch joint that is apparently not all that

:(
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The Dead Don’t Die?

Doe day do do die don't day?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah it seems to not be great. Which is a shame as that is A Cast and such. Tilda Swinton's Scottish *brogue* does my nut in in the trailer tho.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As an aside today I saw trailers for movies in the following franchises -

Ugly Dolls
    Horrible Histories
    The Playmobil Movie

We are back in peak 80s toy to product shit.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As a double aside Terry Deary is a narc and don't buy his product.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    We are back in peak 80s toy to product shit.

Out of everyone on the forum I’d rank you as most likely to both:

1. See them all
    2. Invest in related products

I blame you. These things exist because a market exists.
  • regmcfly wrote:

What he do?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

What he do?

Outwardly against supporting libraries, which is peak Tory.
    Of course someone will then say "but he sells books so of course he'll say that", to which I'll then give a list of writers such as Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett who have outwardly supported them and have a level of commodiifcation attached to their names as much as Deary, so that's that argument to look forward to. Coming soon - books as product the movie.

• Fair enough. Far from a deal breaker, imo. But I can understand it putting people off his products.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    An absolute deal breaker for me, as someone who was taken to Kings Park library in Glasgow every week by my mum to get books, utilised the shit out of Glasgow University library because I couldn't buy my own £30 copies of Steve Neale theory books, saw the value of free access to books when I started as an English teacher in a comprehensive school, and has a wife who has worked as a librarian in a high school and now works at Edinburgh University interlibrary loans where she gives people across the world access to texts. So for me, an absolute deal breaker. Fuck him.

EDIT - that's not me unloading vitriol, cinty, just want to try and clarify why I personally feel so strongly about it whilst others won't.
  • Yeah, I get that. I used my local library on a weekly basis as a nipper. It seems like a shitty opinion but I couldn’t boycott based on that as:

1. It seems clear to me that most authors support libraries.
    2. Libraries are suffering not because of lack of support, but because of massive council cuts.
    3. Terry Deary has had a massive net positive effect on kids receiving a decent education. Horrible Histories (the TV show) is even big in China.
    4. It’s not an opinion I like, but it’s not a criminal act. If there was something massively immoral I’d likely have a different opinion.

As it is, that sucks, but I wouldn’t turn anyway away from reading or buying those books.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I just can't get an author being against access to books. It's such an elitist attitude, particularly an author whose entire MO has been allegedly giving information to a demographic who didnt regularly seek that out - something a good library can do.
  • Deary was already a noted shit though, wasn’t he? Well known for being overprotective of his IP and refusing anything that might widen access to his books. He was even against the TV adaptations that everybody loves so much.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Deary was already a noted shit though, wasn’t he? Well known for being overprotective of his IP and refusing anything that might widen access to his books. He was even against the TV adaptations that everybody loves so much.

Correcto.
  • Didn’t he also say something like “All teachers should be sacked.”?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He called us bullies who hijack his ideas.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Again, boycott that fucko.
  • This week has two films I want to see: Spider-Man and Midsommar.
  • Fair enough. Far from a deal breaker, imo. But I can understand it putting people off his products.

What about this:
    "I've no interest in schools. They have no relevance in the 21st century. They were a Victorian idea to get kids off the street. Who decided that putting 30 kids with only their age in common in a classroom with one teacher was the best way of educating? At my school there were 52 kids in the class and all I learned was how to pass the 11-plus. Testing is the death of education. Kids should leave school at 11 and go to work. Not down the mines or up chimneys, mind, but working with computers or something relevant. Everything I learned after 11 was a waste of time. Trigonometry, Boyle's law: it's never been of any use to me. They should have been teaching me the life skills I was going to need, such as building relationships, parenting and managing money. I didn't have a clue about any of these things at 18. Schools need to change."

I actually do like Horrible Histories, and think that the movie seems like a decent idea. It's got a good cast, and the books are solid, so it's a yes from be, despite the guy being a cunt.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!