#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    A bit of light viewing tonight with a Aronofsky double bill.  Just finished The Fountain and it still blows me away.  And what a score; one of the greatest of all time for me.  mother! up next.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m confused by the thought that TMNT would be an obvious frontrunner. Prince of Thieves slightly less so.

I was insanely into those turtles. Genuinely think the first film was as good as it could possibly have been for 8yr old me. I even had the Ya Kid K tape.
  • No desire to see The Matrix. It might look cool but don’t think I’d be able to withstand the terrible acting and script.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It has to be Jurassic Park for me. It's the first cinema trip i remember. There was a queue of people that must have gone on for 200m or so waiting outside to get tickets, but my mum had bought them by phone so we skipped all that and got straight to the front.

For a 12 year old's first cinema experience i can't think of a better film. It was awesome in the truest sense of the word. The reveal when they first saw the dinosaurs was incredible, and the effects were so much better than anything I'd seen before (magnified by the huge screen) just blew me away.
  • One of my earliest memories of cinema is BTTF2. A lot of it would’ve been over my head but I still loved it. And when they had the trailer for the sequel at the end I was so excited. Ghostbusters 2 the same year too. ‘89 was vintage!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    One of my earliest memories of cinema is BTTF2. A lot of it would’ve been over my head but I still loved it. And when they had the trailer for the sequel at the end I was so excited. Ghostbusters 2 the same year too. ‘89 was vintage!

Return of the Jedi would be the first I can remember - Except that film came out in may and I would have only been 4 and a half so its very fleeting memories.

The first proper one I can remember really well was Goonies - some kids birthday. This would have been an amazing treat back in mid-80s Ireland, certainly among my social group. But I remember the event pretty well. It really wasnt until I was about 10 that Cinema became a regular event. That summer I saw loads of films - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Licence to Kill, and of course Batman all got a visit. Now, going to the cinema can be a regular weekend thing for kids but back in the mid 80s Ireland Cinemas were still mostly small 1 or maybe 2 screen places. It was a proper event to go to see a film in the cinema.
    SFV - reddave360
  • My first cinema trip was for Tron. I would have been six or seven, I think. It dazzled me, I know that.
  • I think my first trip to the cinema was to see The Sword in the Stone. May have been a double bill as I remember an ice cream lady coming round, although that may have been a different visit entirely. Also ice cream ladies may have been present at single showings, I have no idea, I would not steal an ice cream, don't ask me any more questions.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Apparently my first film was Star Wars in Belfast but I have no recollection of it. First I remember was Superman in a cinema on O'Connell street in Dublin.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My first cinema experiences are mixed up so don't know what the first was. They were Disney features.

I can remember seeing Aristocats, Robin Hood and Peter Pan at quite a young age. Bedknobs and Broomsticks was another. I could check out their release dates but I suspect they may have been rereleases because I'd have been too young to remember otherwise. Aristocats was 1970 which means I'd have been 4 or 5 - that's a possibility I suppose. B & B was '71 but it's more likely Robin Hood which was '73.

But my all time cinema experience will always be Empire Strikes Back. The only thing that not only met the hype but exceeded it. And then there was the reveal. Me and my bro left the place stunned.  :) What a fucking ride that was. Nothing has ever come close since.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The one I remember most clearly would be Jurassic Park. Oh to be a kid and watch a dinosaur movie like that again.
  • Y’know, one of my childhood cinema experiences that really stands out was because of how bad it was. Me and a couple of school pals queued outside the cinema for a couple of hours to get into the first showing of Highlander 2. The original was an all-time great, so this had to be amazing, right?

Oh how naive we were. And how shitty that film was.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think my best cinema experience was Raiders of the Lost Ark. Me and a whole group of kids were supposed to be seeing E.T. but when we got there it was sold out, so they lined us up with Raiders instead. I had never heard of it and sat in a huff through the first ten minutes, before being completely sucked into it. A fantastic experience.
  • First cinema trip was Return to Oz for me. The wheelers messed me up for a bit. I suppose my parents were expecting something slightly more tame, then BAM, electro shock therapy to stop Dorothy telling porkies and detachable heads in cupboards.
  • That movie is fucked up.
    Doesnt she steal someone's head at one point?
  • The one I remember most vividly was Superman 3.  Richard Pryor as a bumbling computer genius who hacks his employer's computer to artificially inflate his paycheck which leads him to a life of crime., but eventual redemption.  Superman splits, and fights with his evil twin self! Something about a giant missile! Evil villianess gets sucked into a super computer and battles Superman! And then there was that score.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Is that the one with the ski slope on the top of a sky scraper?
  • Superman-III-Movie-Photos-Richard-Pryor-Skiing-DC.jpg
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • LivDiv wrote:
    That movie is fucked up. Doesnt she steal someone's head at one point?

She either nicks it or locks it in a cupboard, I can't remember.  I rewatched it maybe ten years ago, it's a little bit of a mess but it's a really interesting fantasy film (and not just for the curio value).
  • My first was a primary school trip to go and seen The Neverending Story. Magical, great memories.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit was my first movie. Absolutely zero memory of the trip though. I do remember the next one, the OG TMNT movie. Cowabunga, homies.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My first real memory of the cinema on my own was probably Return if The Jedi. I’d seen Star Wars and Empire but on TV. Me and my best mate at the time went to watch it without parents. We’d have been 11 and I was absolutely blown away. Which is why even though people cite Empire as the best SW film, this for me is the better memory.

Other cinema memory was the sheer number of people going to see Ghostbusters. This was before the multiplex. The King’s Cinema in West Brom had three screens and people queued around the car park and into the shopping arcade. Luckily we met one of my sisters friends who was near the front and we managed to get into the first showing.
  • Something classic Disney in the 70's I would think.
  • Just looked up The Sword in the Stone on IMDB and it was apparently released in 1963, over a decade before I was born.  Either I was taken to a re-release or taken back in time.  Both seem plausible.
  • First I remember is BTTF2. That's all.
  • The first I remember was a Disney double feature.
    The first was the Mickey Mouse version of The Prince and the Pauper, which was followed by the movie we initially went to see.
    P&P was 1990 so I'm going to guess the full length movie that followed was The Rescuers Down Under, which would fit as I loved the Rescuers.
  • First cinema memory for me was the he-man movie. Don't really remember anything of the event other than my dad convincing us to choose he-man over something Disney out at the time, on the basis they're always rereleasing Disney films but this might be the only chance to see he-man.
    Best cinema experience though is jurassic park.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Just looked up The Sword in the Stone on IMDB and it was apparently released in 1963, over a decade before I was born.  Either I was taken to a re-release or taken back in time.  Both seem plausible.

Disney re-released their early output a lot in the 70s.  I can remember Jungle Book getting a run in the mid 80s.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, Jungle Book in the 80s was my older brother's first cinema trip.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!