Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What? I'm not venturing into that pit of geekness. I might come out a bronie.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not venturing into the pit of geekiness says man pulling apart superhero movie.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yes, also say guys on video game forum. Duhr.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Is this a video game forum? Shit.
  • Went to see The Lion King with the kids. Bit weird really. it's well made, but so much is a shot for shot recreation of the original, but with slightly tweaked dialogue, it's a bit odd. Also every action bit is dragged out a bit longer, and any exposition seems a bit more heavy handed. For me the emotional bits therefore lost a bit of impact. Looks amazing though, and if you're not comparing with your love for the original it's probably really good.

What it did make me imagine which i thought might be cool...I want to see a recut of this version, without the animals talking....with the whole thing narrated by David Attenborough. Cos it looks so realistic at times, i thought it be really cool if he narrated like it was a natural history program and this is how things happen 'for real'. I can already hear him over key scenes..."everything the light touches, is their kingdom...but lion cubs are naturally curious, and the young prince sneaks off to explore...the elephant graveyard. Little does he know, it's the lair of the hyenas..."
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    At MIFF I watched Beats. Scottish film about a couple of lads in the 90s when that anti party act was put through. About friends and rave music. Was pretty good. I wonder if some of you lot will have more of a connection with it, potentially having lived through it

I saw it and found it a fucking cringeworthy banter boy party lad shite.

I generally liked it but was underwhelmed overall. Particularly enjoyed the Song of Life (Leftfield) bit.
  • Kow wrote:
    There are bits where it seems to be a Pixar film and doesn't sit well with the live action parts.

I felt the same. The end battle stuff I was totally disengaged.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    At MIFF I watched Beats. Scottish film about a couple of lads in the 90s when that anti party act was put through. About friends and rave music. Was pretty good. I wonder if some of you lot will have more of a connection with it, potentially having lived through it

But they spoke all funny sounding like

I thought I was going to like it more than I did but it sort of cheaped out on the storytelling a bit in parts. I didn't think it was that laddish though, just young guys trying to make the most of it. I certainly wasn't a 'lad' growing up but I connected with some of the feelings they had.
  • Trailer makes it look like Poundland Trainspotting. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing in itself.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Am rewatching Annihilation.  I’ve read the book.  I really like this film.
    Get schwifty.
  • There's a book?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I’ve had it sitting atop the blooray pile o’ shame for a while now. Must get round to actually watching it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Am rewatching Annihilation.  I’ve read the book.  I really like this film.

That's on my re-watching list for my braw new telly.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    There's a book?

And it’s actually pretty good.
    Get schwifty.
  • I think there are more than one book?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's 3
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, but one Annihilation book, one Annihilation film.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I really liked Annihilation. Not read the book.
  • Liked the film a lot. Loved the first book. Following two were fine.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tiger got it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Pretty much.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Beats was a funny one; having originated as a one-man stage piece developed in a handful of weeks and staged at The Arches it maybe had much more resonance in its original form and location. That's when I saw it and was fully taken in. Really enjoyed the film as well for what it was worth- it closed the GFF and got a 10 min standing ovation, not really seen a reception to a film quite like it. But aye, the man behind it does has a... certain style of writing (a lot of which is channelled and perhaps mocked in the DJ's dialogue in the film) which can leave eyes being rolled throughout.

The film is good value though, and the cast are cracking young stars in the making. Not quite in the Trainspotting mode, though funnily enough the boy who played Spanner recently excelled in the new stage version of that, which was also banging. He's tipped for big things.

• I went to film school with the director and he's done really well. Especially as he was an editor at film school rather than a director. In his final year he took everyone by surprise by shooting his own graduation film as well as editing others. He's since made some decent TV (including a Black Mirror) and now two features.
  • Liked the film a lot. Loved the first book. Following two were fine.

Haven't read the other books yet but I thought the first was one of the best things I'd read in a long time. Properly sucked me in. It's quite filmic in its writing style too.
    The book is quite different to the film though so worth consuming both forms of the story
  • Scout wrote:
    I went to film school with the director and he's done really well. Especially as he was an editor at film school rather than a director. In his final year he took everyone by surprise by shooting his own graduation film as well as editing others. He's since made some decent TV (including a Black Mirror) and now two features.

They were on the empire podcast a little while ago and I enjoyed hearing about the making of it. Seemed like nice fellas.
  • Need to sing the praises of @Stopharage who first recommended it.

I wouldn't recommend reading the second two books. They explain a lot more but I think the story is more interesting without the detail.
  • Scorsese’s The Irishman will be closing London Film Festival. De Niro, Pacino, Pesci...

I don’t actually know anything about it, so will scurry away and research before getting excited!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Annihilation was visually stunning, but it lost its way a bit with the ending. I kind of expect that with high concept sci-fi though – especially book adaptations. Things that work well as abstract concepts on a page can feel cheesy as fuck when rendered physical for film.

Overall, a win. Although the soundtrack felt like a poundland Clint Mansell pastiche.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought the ending was great.
  • Is Annihilation the one with the shimmering barrier thing, or the one with Michael Peña?  Or the one that isn't either of those?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!