Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Erm really?! It’s one of my worstest. What do you like about it?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Watching Armageddon because I fucking love it so much
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's just the ultimate nonsense wonderful shit. Willis and Affleck on the asteroid gets me weeping like a baby
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Surprised by how completely devoid of story El Camino was. But still, I enjoyed it and it
    Spoiler:
  • I think El Camino was carried heavily by visual direction, always a strength for BrBd.
    Yeah pretty much zero story. It felt like a Christmas special rather than a movie.
  • It's just the ultimate nonsense wonderful shit. Willis and Affleck on the asteroid gets me weeping like a baby

I can't think of Armageddon without thinking about this.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    It's just the ultimate nonsense wonderful shit. Willis and Affleck on the asteroid gets me weeping like a baby
    I can't think of Armageddon without thinking about this.
    That's brilliant. I want more!
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    There’s got to be more to it. Kinda feels like it was cut short. Genius idea and actors should do this for all films.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    They are slandering a masterpiece
  • That's how I feel when anyone criticises Titanic.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    That's how I feel when everyone criticises Titanic.

• b0r1s wrote:
    There’s got to be more to it. Kinda feels like it was cut short. Genius idea and actors should do this for all films.

I think it’s from the criterion edition DVD commentary track.

It’s a toss up between that, the Criterion Chasing Amy and the Rock’s commentary for Walking Tall as to which is the best (non-rifftrax) commentary track of all time.

It’s been a while since I watched it, but along with Brazil it was the first DVD I ever bought.
  • Watched Ad Astra during the week rather than going for the full crowd experience of Joker.

Opening scene is basically the film hitting the ground running. Phenomenal sense of place.

The rest of the film was quite enjoyable but Im not sure how realistic it is meant to be given the claim they wanted it to be the most realistic space film. It borrowed (or contained) elements common to such films as Moon, Gravity, 2001, Bladerunner 2048 and didnt quite do enough to shake off the comparisons and forge its own identity.

The core theme was reasonably well handled. It just felt like the scenery was passing by a bit too quickly and that led to a few apparent non-sequiturish moments. I'd even extend that claim to the main "threat" - it was never really explained nor does it seem plausible. It was window dressing to justify the primary thrust about isolation and what is important.

All in all its not too bad for the sequel to Space Cowboys. [7]
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

I think it’s from the criterion edition DVD commentary track.

It’s a toss up between that, the Criterion Chasing Amy and the Rock’s commentary for Walking Tall as to which is the best (non-rifftrax) commentary track of all time.

It’s been a while since I watched it, but along with Brazil it was the first DVD I ever bought.

Best commentary on a dvd is Spinal Tap, hands down. They do the whole film in character.
  • Kow wrote:
    Best commentary on a dvd is Spinal Tap, hands down. They do the whole film in character.

Whilst great it’s a performance piece as opposed to an actual commentary, so for me it falls into the same category as Downey Jr. on Tropic Thunder or Dr. Horrible’s Commentary: The Musical.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a commentary in the spirit of the "documentary". But a performance too yes, although improvised.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    16% rating on Rotten Tomatoes... what made you watch it?

Mooching about in Prime. I like the Hannibal films and thought I'd take a punt. It wasn't bad enough to stop watching. It started off quite promising but the 2nd half boiled down to just having a series of bad guys getting bumped off in different ways in a revenge-a-thon building up to the most annoying one. Bit of a reveal at the end explains the character better.

Lovely looking female lead helped too. Called Gong Li.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Watching Armageddon because I fucking love it so much

Armageddon + Con Air + The Rock + Predator = ultimate testosteriffic boxset.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re commentary tracks - one HAS to watch Caligula with Malcolm McDowell commentating.

His first line is - "Caligula - God help us!"

The Imperial Edition of the DVD also has a Helen Mirren track which I haven't done yet.
  • That armageddon thing is hilarious.
  • Cannibal The Musical has a good commentary. The South Park crew all in there with a bunch of booze. They steadily get more and more drunk as it goes along. I remember it being quite funny.
  • I really wish you could get access to commentary tracks somewhere else other than just the physical releases. Some of the older stuff is hard to find
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Thing DVD has a good one if I remember - has Carpenter and Russell together.
  • When I moved into my current place I chucked on a bunch of Peter Jackson films with commentary as I sorted my stuff. He goes into so much detail, it's great.

I've found it's the film makers who only thought film making was possible after seeing behind the scenes footage/photos/etc that really push the content they have on DVDs etc. They realise the power that peeling back the movie magic curtain can have on up and coming creatives.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The bit not mentioned above, and is quite dark I guess given where he went, is that Ben Affleck was very drink doing that commentary. And was also drinking during it.
  • davyK wrote:
    The Thing DVD has a good one if I remember - has Carpenter and Russell together.

Lots of glasses clinking from what I remember.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Clerks / Mallrats are also famous for Jason Mewes perhaps being in a bad place.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I really wish you could get access to commentary tracks somewhere else other than just the physical releases. Some of the older stuff is hard to find

I can get loads of them. PTP makes you encode files with commentary if it's on disk, it's a rule on the site.
  • I know it’s a very different vibe, but I remember enjoying Prof Brian Cox’s commentary on Sunshine. It was before he became a celebrity and his enthusiasm was ace.
  • poprock wrote:
    I know it’s a very different vibe, but I remember enjoying Prof Brian Cox’s commentary on Sunshine. It was before he became a celebrity and his enthusiasm was ace.

I know what you mean by this, but I still find it hard to parse talking about someone with multiple top 40 hits as "not a celebrity".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!