Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Speaking of 80s covers I thought the Wonder Woman trailer was cool.
  • The last one had a fallout boy variant.

Chris Hemsworth was great in that as was Kate McKinnon
    I dont think I would go as far as great but they were the highlights in some very, very low lights.

My favourite character was Papa John.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Never watched the last one. Heard too much bad stuff off here.
  • It is far from the worst film ever but it isn't good.
  • It has some good moments but it also has a lot of bad ad-libbing improv stuff that is never as funny as an actual joke.
  • Are you talking about original ghostbuster?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    "Can I bring Mike Hat to work?"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I saw the first Ghostbusters at the cinema when it came out. I liked it but it didn't love it. There was something "empty" about it that I could never put my finger on.
  • Similar for me. I think I'm caught up more in the idea and the memory and the whole thing with cartoons and toys from my youth, rather than loving the films. I think I watched the first again relatively recently and it did seem a bit flat. Also 1 and 2 kind of mix a bit in my memory too, so it's like the combined highlights i remember.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Ghostbusters was a proper ’80s blockbuster. The sequel was a dud. The reboot just fell flat – it wasn’t funny, and literally made no sense unless you remembered the original.
  • I was thinking about 80s/90s sequels this morning funnily enough, specifically ones that aren't remembered with anywhere near as much fondness as the original.  I didn't think Ghostbusters II was terrible tbh, and I know Predator 2 has its fans, but I'm having Gremlins 2 as the best.  Will probably treat myself to that again soon.
  • Highlander 2 was comfortably the worst.
  • Police Academy 8? No 7?... 6?
  • Do that noise thing with your mouth again.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Home Alone 2 was a big hit in out house last night. Better than the original for me, despite the lack of John Candy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I saw the first Ghostbusters at the cinema when it came out. I liked it but it didn't love it. There was something "empty" about it that I could never put my finger on.

It's a like an SNL sketch stretched out. It feels choppy to me too wrt the editing. There's probably a load of unfunny Bill Murray gurning on the cutting room floor. The montaging is evidence of that.  Disclosure - I've never found Murray funny.

I liked the sequel. As in the original there are some splendid comedic individual performances. Rick Moranis in the first was fun, and I enjoyed Peter MacNicol in the second - even though doing the schtick he did can get old pretty quickly.

I haven't watched Gremlins since the VHS days - but I remember liking both films. The opportunity to rewatch them hasn't arisen and I haven't been all that motivated to.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Home Alone 2 was a big hit in out house last night. Better than the original for me, despite the lack of John Candy.
    I prefer it too, simply because it ramps up the amount of brutal cartoon violence. Less build up, more bricks-in-faces please!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Kow wrote:

It's a like an SNL sketch stretched out. It feels choppy to me too wrt the editing. There's probably a load of unfunny Bill Murray gurning on the cutting room floor. The montaging is evidence of that.  Disclosure - I've never found Murray funny.

I never saw much of a big deal in him either. At the time, I had never seen or even heard of Saturday Night Live. I never really found any of the comedians that came out of it to be particularly funny - with maybe the exception of Steve Martin, who had a few properly funny films.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I liked Martin - but only when he laid off the face pulling. Planes , Trains and Automobiles, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Roxanne are my favourites of his. Guilty pleasure is Three Amigos though I doubt that has aged well.

I think SNL was a particularly American thing that didn't travel well.
  • davyK wrote:
    I think SNL was a particularly American thing that didn't travel well.

It still is and still doesn’t. Some of the best moments work well for us as YouTube clips and bolster the show’s reputation, but try watching an entire episode – it’s hard going.
  • I watched Three Amigos fairly recently and still enjoyed it - though I wasn't really paying attention for any 'cultural insensitivities' that maybe wouldn't wash these days.
  • I watched Three Amigos fairly recently and still enjoyed it - though I wasn't really paying attention for any 'cultural insensitivities' that maybe wouldn't wash these days.
    It's an odd movie - I really like it though - because it manages to do two contradictory things at once: to be a pisstake of Westerns and still be a fish out of water thing where movie stars are exposed to the real thing. It's a tough balancing act but it manages to do it. My favourite joke is either "Do you even know what a plethora is?" or "I'm going to fill you so full of lead, you'll be using your dick as a pencil!"
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • I love Three Amigos.
    Laughed myself stupid at the “my little buttercup” dance scene in the tavern
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I love Three Amigos. Laughed myself stupid at the “my little buttercup” dance scene in the tavern
    One of the straight up funniest scenes in any movie I've seen. And oddly sweet to boot! Reminds me of the song in The Jerk!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Glad to hear it's holding up.

Me in the mid 90s (I'm in the middle - Jose Cuervo promo, Garrick Bar, Belfast)

ZKLNNn6.jpg
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    I love Three Amigos. Laughed myself stupid at the “my little buttercup” dance scene in the tavern
    One of the straight up funniest scenes in any movie I've seen. And oddly sweet to boot! Reminds me of the song in The Jerk!

I have seen this film so many times with my dad over the years. He loved it and I have so many fond memories of him sat on the sofa with tears of laughter
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yep, my Dad saw it first I believe and then got really excited when he could show it to us all. It brings back some really good times. I feel like he's here with me when I watch it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I adore the theme to the 2016 Ghostbusters. I sometimes pick up my cat and dance around going BA RA

BUMBUMBUMALUM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!