Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Wendy Torrance in the Shining?

She is devoted to Jack and follows him to The Overlook.

She is oblivious to the true horror of the Overlook and what it is doing to Jack, only aware of some threat when he becomes angry.

She knocks out Jack and puts him in the store cupboard. Also wields a knife but is clearly uncomfortable doing so.
  • Just finished A Rainy Day in New York. A beautiful, charming and very funny film with a superb performance from Elle Fanning. I don't care, I will love Woody Allen for the rest of my life.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Wendy Torrance in the Shining?

She is devoted to Jack and follows him to The Overlook.

She is oblivious to the true horror of the Overlook and what it is doing to Jack, only aware of some threat when he becomes angry.

She knocks out Jack and puts him in the store cupboard. Also wields a knife but is clearly uncomfortable doing so.

That's good thank you!
  • Wait, does she knock him out or does she just drag him there? I cant remember.
  • She hits him with the baseball bat and he falls down the stairs.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • That's it. Cheers.
  • Today is February 2nd, Groundhog Day!

Tonight’s viewing sorted right there

Missed opportunity
  • Skerret wrote:
    Uncut Gems is like the film version of
    Spoiler:

Okay. Watching tomorrow.
  • KiKi’s Delivery Service

Studio Ghilbi hits Netflix and so this is a great excuse to experience the films I didn’t get to see when film4 showed a season.

This ones almost perfect. Beautifully animated and a lovely coming of age story about a young witch and her cat.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yup. It’s a lovely film that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Hoi Hoi -  Can anyone help me with some exemplars of this Horror genre protag stereotype for Higher Media kids? Here's the key characteristics: 1) Represented as devoted / loving partner (not the casual sex style killed off commonly in slashers.) Not needed, but extra points for chasteness.  2) Represented as oblivious to the dangers going on around them until it's later / too late etc.  3) Will commit acts of violence, often at the end of the film in order to escape, but this is not in their nature. I guess Ash kind of fits all three, but any others are welcome. The more the better, and the more of the three they fit, the better.  Thanks!
    Probably late but Sarah from l'intérieur.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • The husband in Orphan has strong elements of 1 & 2.  
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Impulse pickup today. BluRay (and 4K which I can't watch) of Watchmen. The so-called Ultimate Cut which has the pirate graphic novel scenes. Not sure what to think of that. I didn't realise the ultimate cut was a thing. I was going to pick up directors cut on BluRay but nabbed this instead - maybe there's an option for alternate cuts? I'm guessing no so I can be screwed for a director's cut.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I know they did that as a separate thing, have they spliced it into the film then? I imagine that would be... weird.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Started watching 8 1/2 last night at 1080p on Prime but it's been butchered. The subtitles are WAY out with the film to the point where it is almost unwatchable (at least for first time viewers).

This would be my third viewing of this and I'm only starting to get it now. I gave up after an hour - I only stuck it that long because I was loving it so much - far more so than before - but will have to complete this tonight on DVD.
  • I've found Prime's subs a bit off too
  • Yeah when I watched the last season of American Gods, they were not right.
  • The early region 2 release of La Haine is still my most annoying subs experience. I have to idea if they were out of sync as the white font was camouflaged for most of the film.
  • When I lived in the Netherlands some years back, I went out and bought INLAND EMPIRE by David Lynch, forgetting of course that the subtitles would be in Dutch. If you thought the film was confusing before, lemme tell you it was way more so. :D
  • Now TV (on desktop) has a special brand of terrible subtitles. After a minute or two they tend to just get stuck. Dreadful.
  • Now TV on desktop is just a special brand of terrible in general.
  • Have you tried the Sky Go app on Xbox? It’s quite incredibly awkward.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The early region 2 release of La Haine is still my most annoying subs experience. I have to idea if they were out of sync as the white font was camouflaged for most of the film.

Christ yeah I borrowed that from somewhere, white font with no backing or stroke, against a b&w film. I switched it off pretty quickly and still haven't seen it.

• I remember the subs on that referred to one of the characters as Snoopy despite the actors clearly calling him Asterix.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finished 8 1/2. It really is a great piece of work. As clever as it is amusing. It is meta to the max....and done in '63. Incredible.

My dvd is a nouveaux pictures release. Print looked clean and the subs are large and clear.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Uncut Gems was good.  It’s shame Sandler doesn’t act more often.  The score was also fab.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Put Watchmen BluRay extended cut on last night with the intention of watching until the first animated sequence. I ended up watching it all.

It's probably my favourite superhero film - just realised that. I think it stands up well - in fact in retrospect I think more of it now than I did before. But I read the book after first watching it so maybe that's why I like it more. I think it does a fine job of translating the basic narrative, having trouble with some of the finer nuances which is to be expected but it could have been a car crash of a film.

The animated sequences are well done and don't jolt (I've read the book so that's expected - would have maybe been too much for casual audiences). There seem to be some more scenes added and they jolt a little bit. I think I might prefer the director's cut. The disc doesn't offer that (of course).

I'd love to see the 4K print projected.
  • It’s definitely my favourite superhero film. Not the full version with Black Freighter included, or the director’s cut, but just the standard cinema release. That’s my favourite superhero film.

What I’ve never understood is how Zack Snyder got it so right, when everything else he’s ever made shows that he’s clearly a total hack.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I need to rewatch it. I'd say it's my joint-favourite.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Booked to go see The Lighthouse next week at my local indie.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!