Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Salyut 7 on Prime last night.  :)

Smilesome.

Russian film with a budget based on a factual rescue of a crippled space station in the 80s that I knew nothing about.

This film has been done with a great deal of gung-ho and feels amateurish in places but is nevertheless entertaining. Very much a diamond in the rough.

The actual event is considered one of, if not THE, greatest acts of cosmonaut/astronaut professionalism as it required totally manual rendezvous & docking with a rotating space station before getting on board, trouble shooting and then having to get supplies flown up to them.

This has been dramatised to the max and even uses a story about the Americans sending a shuttle up to grab it out of orbit into its loading bay. Marvellous stuff.

It's part Apollo 13 , part Armageddon and I found it entertaining. On Prime.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I can't wait to see A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood. Tom Hanks playing Mr Rogers, its the slice of good feeling and warm hugs we all need.  I love you Tom.
    I am also very hyped for this. Love that Tom Hanks!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Ah, Tom hanks, the most Tom hanksiest actor ever.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    It's good. Probably my second favourite film of the year so far and likely also my favourite Tom Hanks film (I'm not a big fan though (but I did like Big)).
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    I can't wait to see A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood. Tom Hanks playing Mr Rogers, its the slice of good feeling and warm hugs we all need.  I love you Tom.
    I am also very hyped for this. Love that Tom Hanks!

I just really want to sit down and share some tea and good conversation with him.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Hanks and Fry would both be at my celeb dinner party.

A Beautiful Day... is a lovely film.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Hanks, Fry, and The Taxman from McIntyre's undercover.
  • Those hips don’t lie.
  • John Prine, Kris Kristofferson and Martine McCutcheon please.
  • Totally read that as Martin McGuinness for a split second.
  • Yes to Fry.
    For me it would be Tom Hanks, Stephen Fry, Prof Brian Cox, Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    I imagine so many interesting and wonderful conversations could take place
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I’ve just watched the documentary “won’t you be my neighbour” on Netflix.
    So so wonderful, genuinely made me cry at parts. I love that someone so kind can exist in this world, Fred Rogers was so inspiring
  • I hear he's the next #metoo
  • Cox is a good shout.
  • The non prof one yeah, the prof one just grates on me. He seems lovely tho, it's my problem for sure.
  • It's ok he's a wank
  • It’s ok, we don’t have to like the same people chaps. I could listen to him talk about space for hours :)
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I hear he's the next #metoo

When I first saw the trailer I assumed it was going to be the American version of Operation Yewtree. I'm glad I was wrong. Must see the documentary.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm not so sure about fry now. I listened to the Partridge Nomad audio book, and there was a certain part of that that made me think of fry, and now I can't shake that association.
  • Which bit was that? I listened to nomad but over the space of a week whilst falling asleep in bed.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think it might have been in the prologue. He's doing a very overdone description of walking. It sounded to me like a deliberately bad parody of fry (I was listening to his seven deadly sins podcast around the same time) when he goes on one of his verbose descriptions.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Was gonna go Doctor Sleep tonight but went Ford v Ferrari instead. Really enjoyed it.

Any thoughts on whether it’s worth a rewatch of Shining before watching Sleep?

I watched The Shining at Halloween, and have seen it enough times to remember most of it well enough anyway. But if you're at all fuzzy on the details I'd definitely give it another watch before Doctor Sleep. I doubt it would work anywhere near as well if you've not seen the first film, so don't do a Muzzy.

Just finished The Shining. I’d definitely forgotten a lot of it, and it’s so long since I’ve seen it I think a lot of the subtlety of the film was lost on me in my ignorant youth. The 4K transfer is top drawer, film looks and sounds ace in the remaster, they’ve done a great job.
  • I think it might have been in the prologue. He's doing a very overdone description of walking. It sounded to me like a deliberately bad parody of fry (I was listening to his seven deadly sins podcast around the same time) when he goes on one of his verbose descriptions.

I'll revise it soon, I found it great to mod off to (not a slur on the quality)
  • The Daddy wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Was gonna go Doctor Sleep tonight but went Ford v Ferrari instead. Really enjoyed it.

Any thoughts on whether it’s worth a rewatch of Shining before watching Sleep?

I watched The Shining at Halloween, and have seen it enough times to remember most of it well enough anyway. But if you're at all fuzzy on the details I'd definitely give it another watch before Doctor Sleep. I doubt it would work anywhere near as well if you've not seen the first film, so don't do a Muzzy.

Just finished The Shining. I’d definitely forgotten a lot of it, and it’s so long since I’ve seen it I think a lot of the subtlety of the film was lost on me in my ignorant youth. The 4K transfer is top drawer, film looks and sounds ace in the remaster, they’ve done a great job.

I thought Doctor Sleep was a great addition, and I'm a massive fan of The Shining; you're in for a treat. I less you hate it.
  • Also enjoyed Doctor Sleep.  It's not a worthy sequel back to back, as The Shining really is beyond compare, but it's definitely an enjoyable return all these years later.  I'll wheelie out my Return to Oz comparison again.
  • Only Yesterday

I didn't realise Ghibli did non-fantasy stuff so was quite surprised when this was a straight forward drama.

Still beautiful to look at it and interesting but I'd struggle to tell you how the fuck they filled two hours or what the point was.. I did like the ending though.
    The Forum Herald™
  • It’s a great film. I love it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I thought the lighthouse was some parodical drivel. Just robbed imagery from things (I’m surprised Pattinson didn’t mention a milkshake) where two people went mad but in a mad way.

One thing I really liked about the witch was that there was a least a mystery in that film and the needle sort of wavered either side of it. While this just felt like it was going where you might have known it was going right from minute one but punctuated that with visuals that seemed to exist apropos of not really very much. I wondered if the film was meant to be seen as a comedy towards the end (at least two scenes suggested it) but it didn’t engage in such a way through the bulk of the film.

There was something interesting in the film though in that there was a trailer for a film called bait - a 4:3 black and white film about a fishing village. Perhaps the least likely version of the White House down/Olympus has fallen phenomena.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!