Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Kow wrote:
    I got 3 months of Mubi for free. It doesn't seem to record where I stopped watching so I can continue from there, it just goes back to the start of the film. I hope I've missed something or it's a total waste of time.
    Kow wrote:
    I mean I can totally get down with watching a black and white Icelandic indie film about fish from the 1950s but I'm not writing down the minute I stop watching every time.

Mubi is for proper film nerds. If you’re not watching all four hours and 26 minutes of that Icelandic fish piece in one sitting, you’re not a proper film nerd.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But I don't even have my home cinema projector set up!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Flora and I continuing our bond watching fully out of order . Tonight was A View to a Kill with the best score / song combo but one of the worst plot journeys. Horses and Eiffels and fire engines oh my
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    We decided to have a movie night tonight, and I thought I'd go the whole hog and put a pre roll with adverts and trailers on beforehand. Here's the link to the Playlist if anyone wants to do similar (it's U friendly)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMIQZ3kNCgH-9qwktcMD6CleuOJuExRpp
  • Different channels showing different Cohen brothers films tonight at the same time.  

True Grit
    No Country for Old Men

Which one do you watch?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yep. Doing that right now.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Both (add on The Hudsucker Proxy making my top three). I have a double Blu-ray package of the two.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I bloody love The Hudsucker Proxy.
    Get schwifty.
  • Hmm. I think that's one I haven't seen (along with the Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty).

Edit: and Hail Ceasar.
  • Hail Ceasar was incredibly disappointing imo.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It had some good moments. I think maybe it needs a rewatch.
  • It was a great idea with a stellar cast, but the whole thing just fell flat for me. Screenplay needed a few more drafts really.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I enjoyed it. Especially the Channing Tatum dance number and the "would that it were so simple" bit
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I got 3 months of Mubi for free. It doesn't seem to record where I stopped watching so I can continue from there, it just goes back to the start of the film. I hope I've missed something or it's a total waste of time.
    I mean I can totally get down with watching a black and white Icelandic indie film about fish from the 1950s but I'm not writing down the minute I stop watching every time.
    Mubi is for proper film nerds. If you’re not watching all four hours and 26 minutes of that Icelandic fish piece in one sitting, you’re not a proper film nerd.

Heh. Watched Winter Light on Mubi last night.

I have watched quite a bit of Bergman and always thought he wasn't as grim as many state. Starting with his more approachable stuff is best of course. Fanny and Alexander being the most accessible in my experience.

Winter Light is very much on up the grim scale. The central character isn't particularly likeable but maybe that's the point. We can all be arses and this guy is up there. Seems to be slight in content and has a short running time, but it's beautifully acted and they have managed to make the gorgeous Ingrid Thulin look plain (well - sort of).

I suspect this would be in the filler category of his content but it's still worth watching - but you would need to have an interest in religion and faith as a subject.

As an auteur director Bergmann re-uses actors quite a bit and it's fun spotting people from his other works. At first I found it a trifle offputting but not any more.  It was never an issue with Kubrick or Allen but I found I had to adjust to Bergmann's use of actors. Kurusawa does it too of course and that never bothered me so I can't put it down to being foreign cinema.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Was there any Icelandic fishing in it?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mubi has a documentary called Pharos of Chaos consisting entirely of Sterling Hayden talking while on his boat in France.

It won't work with Chromecast for some reason (at least on my setup - tried downloading it but to no avail) so I will have to watch it on my PC or phone which is annoying,

However I think it will be worth the watch - from what I saw of this between buffering issues before I gave up , the guy was bonkers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Was there any Icelandic fishing in it?

Von Sydow plays a fisherman in it - but this film is all on land. :)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I started watching Pharos of Chaos but every time I left it to go and do something else it just started from the beginning again when I tried to continue, which is crap. In theory it's more expensive than either Netflix or HBO so I would expect some user friendliness in the interface.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was suspect of its streaming ability when I couldn't get it working casting from my phone to my TV but I was able to do it with other films on Mubi, I thought that downloading it would sort that but no dice. Weird.

I'm using it through the Amazon Prime Video app which lets me pause etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mubi has Zatoichi available  (2003 version). It has a wonderful dance sequence at the end.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    The main problem I'm having with MUBI is that the subtitles fail at times via Chromecast, which is a pain. It mostly seems to be any non-standard subtitling, e.g. singing, voiceover etc., but can be a bit random too. It surely shouldn't be difficult to fix this. There's a warning when connecting via Chromecast so they are aware.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    First Reformed might be worth a look if you have Netflix, Davy.  I really liked it and apparently it has a lot in common with Winter Light.
  • davyK wrote:
    Mubi has Zatoichi available  (2003 version). It has a wonderful dance sequence at the end.
    If it’s the Beat Takeshi then IIRC there’s a great diagetic house building scene at the start as well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dubs wrote:
    First Reformed might be worth a look if you have Netflix, Davy.  I really liked it and apparently it has a lot in common with Winter Light.

My daughters have Netflix subs......haven't dipped in there yet. Will look out for that one. Going by the wiki entry it looks very much in the same vein as you say.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well that's Mubi cancelled. What a crock of shit. Watch half an hour of something and it doesn't even keep track of which film it was, let alone where you left off. I cancelled during the free period and they didn't even let me continue to the end, immediate lock out. They have a cheek to charge €10 for such a crappy service.
  • Hmmmmm
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Well that's Mubi cancelled. What a crock of shit. Watch half an hour of something and it doesn't even keep track of which film it was, let alone where you left off. I cancelled during the free period and they didn't even let me continue to the end, immediate lock out. They have a cheek to charge €10 for such a crappy service.

Firestick and Real Debrid is all you'll ever need.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Top 5 Tom Cruise.

1.Colateral
    2. Interview with the Vampire
    3. Born on the 4th of July
    4. Top Gun
    5. Mission Impossible: Fallout

Honourable mentions: Color of Money, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Mission Impossible (first one), Days of Thunder, Live Die Repeat (the actual title is shit and I refuse to acknowledge it)

Top 3 really are the best examples of Cruise playing a role.

Jesus Christ, I'm.actually angry!

Magnolia? Vanilla Sky?

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Top 5 Tom Cruise. 1.Colateral 2. Interview with the Vampire 3. Born on the 4th of July 4. Top Gun 5. Mission Impossible: Fallout Honourable mentions: Color of Money, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Mission Impossible (first one), Days of Thunder, Live Die Repeat (the actual title is shit and I refuse to acknowledge it) Top 3 really are the best examples of Cruise playing a role.
    Jesus Christ, I'm.actually angry! Magnolia? Vanilla Sky?

Yeah, his best two films, both great, one an all timer but horses for courses.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!