Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I’ve been banging this drum for over two hours marvel are incredibly guilty of it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Although a good 2.5 hour film can easily feel shorter than a bad 1.5 hour film.
  • Can't say I much liked The Irishman. Sadly wasn't the Goodfellas part 2 I was hoping for. Whole thing lacked momentum or energy, didn't bring me along.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I don't think I'd have liked it as much as I did if I didn't see it in the cinema, it had a real sense of event for me. I'll rewatch on the flix and reappraise. It's definitely no Goodfellas.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We watched Rashomon last night as flora got a BFI player sub for her birthday, and had never seen it.

It's a fucking right 88 minutes.
    Spoiler:
  • So meta
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    U love it
  • I’ve said this before but I have two repeated “long film” “jokes”

1) I feel like the ape section of 2001 lasts literally all of the time for the apes to evolve to humans
    2) if you see a clip of shawshank redemption on itv2 whenever you flick back to itv2 you will watch a part of shawshank redemption that will feel like you should have gone past that but by now.
    3)I fell asleep in the first five mins of tree of life and again I woke up before the Dinosaur bit finished.

I guess that’s three. I hope, as is appropriate you have aged disproportionately just reading this.
  • I'm not anti long films, far from it. My grievance is throwaway stuff being far longer than it needs to be. I watched the new Lion King remake recently. 1hr 58mins. The original was 1hr 24mins. The new Aladdin remake is 2hr 8mins. The bloody Dumbo remake 1hr 52 mins. The new Beauty and Beast remake is 2hrs 10mins.

Wasn't there something about films being over two hours long as it helped maximise cinema slots?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Original Dumbo was barely over 60mins if I remember right. Tight little film that.

Less is most certainly more. I think it may be down to some performances that editors don't want to, or are scared to, throw away.

In these directors' cut times there is no excuse for bloated theatrical releases. Jackson's LoTR films were deliberately made as 2 versions.

EDIT: Yep Dumbo =  64 mins....... Was a vehicle for recouping the losses of the over indulgent Fantasia apparently and was low budget.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Aladdin was surprisingly good, I didn't really notice it being long.
    Lion King mostly pointless, length added or not. I guess it may have done something for Beyonce fans.

That new Dumbo though, that was just a shit film. It is the one that ventures furthest away from the original story and it fills the gap with utter garbage.
  • I like long epic films where it helps develop characters and plot. Only suits certain types of film, mind. Recently re-watched Once Upon A Time In America which is mega long bit didn’t feel like it. I’m hoping to see the even longer version(s) as I felt they could easily do more with the characters. 

Apocalypse Now latest version in the cinema last year, didn’t seem long at all. 

All depends on how much you’re enjoying the film and whether it suits the genre.
  • I mean, Seven Samurai and The Godfather are my all-time favourite films. The two I mentioned above are very high up my favourites list. So I’m clearly one for lengthy epics.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I watched that new Child’s Play film the other night. Now there’s a 90 minute film that felt like it was three hours long.
    Get schwifty.
  • Apparently movies aren’t really getting longer. It’s more that there was a period while our generation grew up when movies got shorter, temporarily.

https://www.businessinsider.com/are-movies-getting-longer-2016-6
  • Blaady hell! Film 4 tonight got a heck of a double bill on.

The Witch -  A Field in England.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I haven't seen A Field in England, might tune in for that ta.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Blaady hell! Film 4 tonight got a heck of a double bill on.

The Witch -  A Field in England.

Now that's what I call living deliciously.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Carlito's Way.  On Prime.

Watched this first in the cinema back in the mid 90s.

I think it's Pacino's best portrayal of a gangster. Ruthless, empathetic, doomed, child-like - all in one film. Magnificent. Far more human - more nuanced and understated than Scarface. Less fireworks but more smoulder. I suppose it reflects his maturity at the time.

Also great turn by Sean Penn.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Have never seen it - would like to - but I have listened to Oye Como Va a bunch
  • I mean it's good, but it isn't his understated descent into evil in The Godfather 1 & 2.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Goddamit godfather 2 is so good.

I like when he steps out of the car in 1 to meet Kay again and every aspect of his performance just has the weight of the world on it, but 2... Fuck, son.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    I mean it's good, but it isn't his understated descent into evil in The Godfather 1 & 2.

Yeah - but I meant gangster as in street guy performance.

The transition in Godfather 1 in particular is spellbinding.But thats a different thing entirely.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I still haven't watched the Godfather films despite having had the 30th Anniversary DVD Boxset for a long time. I intend to watch them during lockdown, but haven't got around to doing so yet...
  • I absolutely love Carlito’s Way. Underrated in the pantheon of gangster flics.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Carlito's Way is top tier.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    I still haven't watched the Godfather films despite having had the 30th Anniversary DVD Boxset for a long time. I intend to watch them during lockdown, but haven't got around to doing so yet...

You really need to put that right. Even the much criticised 3 is good.....if only for the last few minutes of it.

• nick_md wrote:
    Carlito's Way is top tier.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I got 3 months of Mubi for free. It doesn't seem to record where I stopped watching so I can continue from there, it just goes back to the start of the film. I hope I've missed something or it's a total waste of time.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I mean I can totally get down with watching a black and white Icelandic indie film about fish from the 1950s but I'm not writing down the minute I stop watching every time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!