Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Rewatched Pom Poko for the first time in over a decade. Flora's first time watching. God it's dark. You can tell it's Takahata through and through. Also the end credits is the best Ghibli song ever fight me.

I feel like all the best kid's films should have something really dark or messed up about them. Not sure why exactly, but I remember being haunted by many film moments as a child, and they still give me chills to this day. Off the top of my head there's E.T., The Secret Garden, Matilda, and some others I don't think I can even identify who's scenes I still have mental images of, like an animated thing were people who were turned into melted cheese for some reason were under a grate and clawing and moaning to be saved.

Actually looking through children's films of past decades it seems that they all have something quite tragic or traumatic about them.
  • Pom Poko is one of my favourites. Takahata >>>> Miyazaki easily.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Rewatched Pom Poko for the first time in over a decade. Flora's first time watching. God it's dark. You can tell it's Takahata through and through. Also the end credits is the best Ghibli song ever fight me.

I feel like all the best kid's films should have something really dark or messed up about them. Not sure why exactly, but I remember being haunted by many film moments as a child, and they still give me chills to this day. Off the top of my head there's E.T., The Secret Garden, Matilda, and some others I don't think I can even identify who's scenes I still have mental images of, like an animated thing were people who were turned into melted cheese for some reason were under a grate and clawing and moaning to be saved.

Actually looking through children's films of past decades it seems that they all have something quite tragic or traumatic about them.

First film I saw in the cinema was Return to Oz, which is possibly my earliest vivid memory. The wheelers are coming omfg, she's got spare heads in cabinets AAAH.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Dark Crystal had its moments.
    Get schwifty.

The 'one shot' thing did nothing for me at all. I found it all rather boring and the performances were hammy.

Pap.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Color Out of Space then.  A very close cousin of Annihilation, only less subtle and more in-your-face.  Not perfect, but I loved it all the same.  I want more of this shit.
    Have you seen Stuart Gordon's Lovecraft pictures? Re-Animator, From Beyond, Castle Freak, Dagon and perhaps the best adaptation of the bunch, Dreams in the Witch House from the superb Masters of Horror show. All great.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Oh and John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness has some of the Great Old Ones goodness too. Really good film.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve seen In the Mouth of Madness only once, and that was on release.  I vaguely recall not thinking very much of it, but if popped back up on Prime or Netflix I’d happily revisit it.  Of the others you mention I’ve only seen Re-Animator (wasn’t keen) and Dreams in the Witch House, which felt too hamstrung by its budget to do the source material justice.

Also, I noticed in Color out of Space that in one scene the geologist is seen reading The Willows by Algernon Blackwood, which I just finished reading the other day.  Very appropriate, as it’s a great bit of cosmic horror.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Vivarium.  Proper bit of horror and not a jump scare or splotch of gore in sight.  Very Twilight Zone, very good.
    Get schwifty.
  • If you've got a fancy 4k Oled tv and Disney+ and want to watch something that looks glorious, get Tangled on. It's a great film anyway but looks absolutely amazing. The colours, the detail, the lighting all fabulous.

In not sure what wizardry Disney are using on their service but the quality of everything 4K I've watched so far blows netflix, prime and even the ultrahd blu rays* I've got out the water.

*I've not got or watched many uhd blu rays so not a definitive statement and i don't want to start a tech argument about bitrates etc but I've not noticed a single bit of macroblocking or artifacts in dark scenes or shadows on Disney+ yet.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • It might help that everything is in house so they have full control of the encoding.
  • Whatever the reason i like it.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Battle Beyond The Stars is on Prime. First time I’ve seen it in HD. What a film.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Vivarium - a kind of extended episode of The Twilight Zone. I enjoyed it a lot but I tend to go for these bizarre and surreal things.

Or what Razzy said up above.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Battle Beyond The Stars is on Prime. First time I’ve seen it in HD. What a film.

What. A. Film.

5fN2cz5wsGcnZQwpX3f7KJ2szrC.jpg?quality=50&width=1800&ratio=16-9&resizeStyle=aspectfill&format=jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. 

It's been a while....Seven Samurai / Magnificent Seven in space , ain't it?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Aye, that's the one.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Now that’s my afternoon film.  Haven’t seen it since I was ickle.  I’m expecting the worst shit.  If only they had The Last Starfighter too, for the ultimate double bill.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wow it’s still great. Yes it shit, but great shit lol

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Vivarium was legit, god damn
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yep, Vivarium is the good shit.

What isn’t the good shit is Battle Beyond the Stars.  I’ve just ruined a swathe of my childhood.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nah still mint. Maybe like a mint you’ve found stuck down the back of the sofa and covered in crap for a few years, but still mint.

Trailer to Vivarium had me very intrigued. What’s it on?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I love old cult shows.  Things like The Twilight Zone and Star Trek are still amazing, but these shows don’t just stand up on nostalgia alone.  Those shows stand on good writing and charismatic actors.  Battle Beyond the Stars has nothing to stand on but nostalgia.  It’s awful.  Star Wars, which it was obviously trying to compete with, had bags of character and just got there first.
    Get schwifty.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire is now available on Mubi. This is one of my top three films (possibly the top) that I saw at the cinema this year, along with Jojo Rabbit and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood...

If you don't already have access to Mubi through an existing subscription, or a service that includes it, you can start a free 30 day trial via my referral link here https://mubi.com/t/web/global/OqTuxkdj

Having said that, it isn't difficult to do a quick search and find various offers for a free 90 day trial...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:

What isn’t the good shit is Battle Beyond the Stars.  I’ve just ruined a swathe of my childhood.

I take it back Raiziel. When I’d responded I haven’t finished it. OMG. Yes not one to return to. The battle on the planet was all kinds of Police Squad shooting but without the humour.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire is now available on Mubi. This is one of my top three films (possibly the top) that I saw at the cinema this year, along with Jojo Rabbit and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood...

If you don't already have access to Mubi through an existing subscription, or a service that includes it, you can start a free 30 day trial via my referral link here https://mubi.com/t/web/global/OqTuxkdj

Having said that, it isn't difficult to do a quick search and find various offers for a free 90 day trial...

Watching POALOF tonight.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Hurrah
  • It's a masterpiece, one of the best films I've seen in recent years. Might sign up and watch it again.
  • I know that there is a music thread but this place feels more appropriate for it

Of course I’m going to mentions a
    Spoiler:
    can you guess what’s in there?

But I’m reevaluating whether I like a particular madonna song right now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!