Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • No, you’re right. I know that. Just a slightly icky feeling of Amazon cashing in on someone else’s misfortune.
  • Depends how its cut I suppose.
    If the studios are getting the extra money then perhaps they can use that to aid the cinemas later by offering cheaper showing rights.

They probably wont though. Hollywood will see the cinemas fail then whinge about it when being strong armed by Amazon in five years time.
  • Invisible Man
    Spoiler:
  • The Hunt
    Another early digital release.
    Spoiler:
  • Sonic
    Way better than it has any right to be.
    A good fun movie, probably aimed more at kids but had a few adult laughs as well.
    Fuck me that first trailer is somehow representative yet a million miles away from the end product.
    Great credits bit as well.

Genuinely suprised.
  • Just watched Hell or High Water on ch4, loved it.
  • Now soak up that soundtrack on Spotify.
  • I had twangs in my dreams last night. Will track down the Renner one next.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Invisible Man
    Spoiler:

I thought the effects were pretty good. Especially as it was made for $5mil.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I had twangs in my dreams last night. Will track down the Renner one next.

Yeah that one is quite good. Taylor Sheridan is a proper hog though, being crazy handsome and a good writer/director. Like leave some for the rest of us.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Invisible Man
    Spoiler:

I thought the effects were pretty good. Especially as it was made for $5mil.

I haven't seen it but I would've thought it wouldn't be too expensive to not show someone on screen
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 3:10 To Yuma - excellent; not the weekend's best Western for me (that goes to Hell Or High Water), but a superb slice of dust with a cast that I can't fault.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's an oldie isn't it? Did you watch the remake? I hear it is excellent. The original is a Criterion Collection entry which is usually a good sign.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Ah sorry, yeah the remake, 2007 or so.
  • Original is meant to be solid too, yeah. I'll swing round to it at some point.
  • Watched the most recent Terminator today. Surprised to find it was quite good. Completely unnecessary and yet another excuse for a retread, of course, but it hung together far better than any of the muck since T2.
  • The Platform (Netflix)
    Subbed spanish movie.
    It is one of those single room isolation movies I cant help but love. Similar to Cube but different.

A prison built on 10s of floors. 2 cellmates per floor. The titular Platform is covered in a feast of food. Starting from the top floor each floor has a set amount of time to eat what they can/want before it moves to the next level below. This happens daily, monthly pairs of cellmates switch floors.

Naturally the movie leans heavily into society's ills. Loses it a bit at points. Overall though I really enjoyed it and it is mid to upper end of that single room genre, worth a watch if that presses your buttons, obviously.
  • nick_md wrote:
    3:10 To Yuma - excellent; not the weekend's best Western for me (that goes to Hell Or High Water), but a superb slice of dust with a cast that I can't fault.
    The original is rather good, but the remake is much better in my opinion! I think the relationship between Bale and Crowe is much deeper than the original, and as such the emotional payoff is way more intense and satisfying.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Original is well worth a watch too though!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Nick, you might find some goodness in my Western thread! I have a good few recs in there should you want to dive deeper! 

http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/2438/the-western-a-primer/p1
  • Ah thanks, I forgot about that thread!

The only viewing means I have atm are terrestrial TV or youtube though, but there perhaps are a few oldies-but-goodies on youtube.

Cheers Mugs!
  • Ping me your address Nick I'll send a stack of essential lockdown viewing loose dvds over.  Probably with post-it note reviews.
  • Splendid, thanks partner.
  • NP.  While you're waiting though....

Doesn't work embedded but it's only a click away.
  • Ah forgot that was on YouTube, never seen it. Will save that for the weekend, ta.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Get a firestick and I'll step by step guide ya through it
  • Nick, here is the complete Lonesome Dove mini-series from 1989:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgcGeKiymE8

It is SUPERB. One of the greatest Westerns ever made.
  • It's only based on the second best novel of all time though so you should watch WD first.

Fun fact you probably know because I can't not mention it every single time: Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove/Last Picture Show author) is James McMurtry's da. Country thread cross-over ftw.
  • That's cool, didn't know that!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!