Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I love every languorous frame of Once Upon a Time in the West.  I wouldn’t change a bit of it.
    Razzle knows.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    I love every languorous frame of Once Upon a Time in the West.  I wouldn’t change a bit of it.
    Razzle knows.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Especially those containing Claudia Cardinale.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Frankenstein (1931) last night. I had zero memory of the plot and I'm guessing my memory is made up of seeing the various spin offs when I was a kid.

What is outstanding about it is the overall look of it and the sets and lighting. It's an incredible looking film - at times surreal. The acting is of the time and genre -  and so is hammed up - and there's even a stock comedy relief character - but it's more than just a curio even though there are extremely odd shots of 1930s impedimenta such as one young lady using a monocole in one early scene. Karloff isn't quite as wooden as I thought he would be either in the role of the creature.

The death of the creature is extremely effective and feels very modern - I find it hard to believe it didn't inspire The Wickerman's ending (the 70's version of course).

It isn't just the pulp horror I thought it would be - it throws up questions about scientific advance and its consequences. It's an intelligent film and portraying the death of a child must have been extremely shocking then. It's still disturbing now.

Young Frankenstein did such a good job of riffing on this material but it doesn't make it unwatchable (unlike what Airplane did to the Airport films) as it is clear it was made with a deep love of the original.

This must have been quite something to have seen in the cinema.
  • It's a beautiful piece of cinema.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I remember the flower / river scene from my childhood and it still gives me the absolute fear.
  • As hokey as Frankenstein is as a monster I’m not entirely surprised that the original film was something more interesting.
  • Ana ontmoet het monster van Frankenstein. Which of course is Dutch for "Speaking of which, Spirit of the Beehive is fab too in my humble o and you might like it in your humble o too if you haven't seen it here clip spoils obv. yeah."

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Coherence tonight.  Great little film, that.
    Get schwifty.
  • Cosby wrote:
    I watched The Predator this morning and hoo boy, that's a mess. There's some great lines in there which was the only real saving grace but even that was tainted with the odd terrible throwback ('get to the choppers' when pointing at a load of motorbikes).

The rest was dumb but not even in a fun way, even the gore is just too OTT. Don't know what Shane's working on next but can't turn out worse than this.

I'm curious to know what happened with this. It's so so bad that it smacks of a very troubled production
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I haven't read up on it so not sure about production issues but the script is fucking terrible. Just doesn't hold together at all so I was quite surprised to find it was written by Black and one other guy.
    Spoiler:
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Coherence tonight.  Great little film, that.

I watched this recently and also really enjoyed it. Definitely on the recommend to a friend list.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cosby wrote:
    I haven't read up on it so not sure about production issues but the script is fucking terrible. Just doesn't hold together at all so I was quite surprised to find it was written by Black and one other guy.
    Spoiler:

What made anyone think they could best the original?
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I did wonder if Black's connection to the original was a factor in his involvement. He's generally been a solid writer so surprising this was quite so bad.
  • This is incredible...

• 4500 posts later, I return. 

With more time and an enforced game break, watched some filums.

Mortal Engines. That's a lot of money to spend on a fucking ropey idea. Terrible.

The Dark Tower. I lasted 20 minutes. A travesty.

The Informer. Gritty thriller thing. Watchable. First of a Clive Owen as FBI Brass double header I didn't know I was in for.

Gemini Man. Ang Lee. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Clive playing basically the same guy. Dumb as a bag of rocks. 

John Wick 3. Also dumb as a bag of rocks, but at least it knows it.

Onwards. Disney do solid kids stuff hey. More enjoyable than most of the above.

Halfway through Cool World (1992) Gabriel Byrne, Brad Pitt and Kim Bassinger. Only because of How did this get made pod. Jesus. What a mess.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s some bad viewing there Face!

If it’s any consolation I bought the Dark Tower so had to see it through. You made the right decision switching it off.

Been looking forward to Onward once it arrives on Disney+ but recall someone on here saying it’s crap.

I rewatched A.I. for the first time in a very long time and I have to say I appreciate it far more now than I originally did. Perhaps it’s more timely with AI being a real issue or stuff like Westworld, but those ideas of what we do with the things we create makes for good viewing. I’ve completely changed my mind on this one.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Halfway through Cool World (1992) Gabriel Byrne, Brad Pitt and Kim Bassinger. Only because of How did this get made pod. Jesus. What a mess.

Thanks to Bowie, I just found out this exists.
  • I may have low standards on the Disney stuff as anything that Ara hasn't watched 50k times is a blessing, but I thought onwards was perfectly fine. Looks good, nice play on tropes, without ever getting actually subversive, obviously, but yeah, worse ways to spend 90 minutes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    12 Angry Men.

Still great.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Eurovision.

I've just finished watching it and I've got a stupid grin on my face. A silly feel good film that could have easily been quite mean spirited but wasn't at all. Almost the perfect movie if you're feeling a bit fed up with everything right now.

"yaya ding-dong!"
  • Eurovision.

I've just finished watching it and I've got a stupid grin on my face. A silly feel good film that could have easily been quite mean spirited but wasn't at all. Almost the perfect movie if you're feeling a bit fed up with everything right now.

"yaya ding-dong!"

It's become one of my go to happy movies now when I need a pick me up. Alongside Mamma Mia and Mary Poppins Returns.

I just love camp musical numbers it seems

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Lol, grabbed bad boys for life, but it was the Tamil overdub.

Durr.
  • I didn't mind Bad Boys FL but wholly heck Face you're scraping the barrel in terms of film choices. There's been lots of good recent stuff, stop torturing yourself.
  • I have a soft spot for dumb action. I have a long list of good movies to watch on netflix, but always seem to lean towards the crap.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Re: Once upon a time, I've got time on Monday for a proper film, I've narrowed it down to OUATITW or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Well I decided to go with The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, which I managed to watch all of in one day (albeit in three sittings). I wasn't aware of Morricone's passing until the lunch interval, but finding out only served to focus my attention on the quality of the score. That scene near the end where The Ecstasy of Gold kicks in was quite a thing. 

Great film overall, can't believe I've never seen it. Will find time (maybe, hopefully) to watch the other two in the trilogy (apparently it works pretty well as a trilogy watching this one first), and Once Upon a Time...
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Facewon wrote:

I loved Cool World when I was a kid. The soundtrack was outstanding and it looked cool at the time. I think that’s all it took for me to enjoy a film back then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Re: Once upon a time, I've got time on Monday for a proper film, I've narrowed it down to OUATITW or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I'm leaning towards the latter.
    Well I decided to go with The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, which I managed to watch all of in one day (albeit in three sittings). I wasn't aware of Morricone's passing until the lunch interval, but finding out only served to focus my attention on the quality of the score. That scene near the end where The Ecstasy of Gold kicks in was quite a thing.  Great film overall, can't believe I've never seen it. Will find time (maybe, hopefully) to watch the other two in the trilogy (apparently it works pretty well as a trilogy watching this one first), and Once Upon a Time...

The truel scene is a highlight.
  • I'd forgotten about Cool World completely, never saw it, don't remember it ever being on TV or seeing the DVD either. Weird those things that are almost erased. It's from after Thelma And Louise but before True Romance as well, which isn't how I remember Pitt's career at all.
  • Was that the mad cartoon thing?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!