myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Having a look at the upcoming drive in movies, and these 3 have my interest:
    Lloyd Kaufman’s The Toxic Avenger
    Ishiro Honda’s 1964 Godzilla film, Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
    Brandon Cronenberg’s 2020 Sundance hit sci-fi thriller film Possessor! We will be playing the UNCUT version!

Any reasons why I should avoid any of them, or make them high priority? Kinda sad I missed re-animator.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Possessor is fucking brilliant see that
  • I watched Ghidora earlier this year and gave it a 6. Fun, but lacks depth. I need to keep going with the ‘Zilla movies, but none of them are capturing the greatness of the original. That was such a unique film at such a unique time.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I just watched that Cuties film after reading the OUTRAGE on Twitter and figuring it must be hyperbole.

I thought the film was very good.

I shouldn't have been surprised that it's French, because their cinema is excellent, but also because they don't shy away from difficult subjects. The film asks a lot of questions, about coming of age in the modern, hyper-sexualised world, how religion comes into things, bullying, body image etc etc. It has some uncomfortable scenes where I thought 'these kids shouldn't be trying to emulate what they see in music videos', but that's the point, isn't it?

I scrolled through Twitter on the trending hashtags and didn't see a single tweet that had anything other than a 'I just cancelled my Netflix after reading what this PEDO film is' hot take. I'd hate to try to discuss the themes of this film with those folk because they most likely would never be able to unpack what this film is about.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I watched Ghidora earlier this year and gave it a 6. Fun, but lacks depth. I need to keep going with the ‘Zilla movies, but none of them are capturing the greatness of the original. That was such a unique film at such a unique time.
    It's a toss up between that and The Toxic Avenger, I'm not familiar with whatever genre both fall into (Ghidora is a monster movie I guess Toxic Avenger cheap 80s horror? ). Haven't seen the original Godzilla either, but they're not showing that.

Tickets for Possessor will be bought then, was already a fairly confirmed one, unless it gets really downvoted here. Wanted to grab tickets for 2 out of the 3 I mentioned.
  • I discovered I have Toxic Avenger on dvd the other day, unopened. It's all on YouTube I think, I watched the first 20 mins earlier this year and it seemed a fun, schlocky b-movie. My Troma knowledge is weak so I think I may watch it this weekend.
  • Aye, 80s schlock classic. Best viewed drunk with friends.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, it's a drive in, how do we get home after?
  • Carefully.
  • Stay alert!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Carefully.
    you've been on the roads here, that's impossible!

and I don't think we need to Stay Alert, but we're on Do Your Part.
  • Yeah, you wouldn't want me to be trying to drive you round L.A.
    First time I ever drove in America was also the first time I'd ever driven an automatic, and was on the L.A. freeway at rush hour in the dark, in an SUV the size of a house.
    I still wake up screaming.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I watched Ghidora earlier this year and gave it a 6. Fun, but lacks depth. I need to keep going with the ‘Zilla movies, but none of them are capturing the greatness of the original. That was such a unique film at such a unique time.

The original is really, really good.

I have enjoyed the recent Western relaunch I have to say. Shin Godzilla was good too. But I have little memory of the bonkers 70's ones. I can remember seeing Godzilla v Kong as a kid on TV and also a time I was taken to the cinema to see one that had a robotic Godzilla in it. My Aunt and Uncle were belly laughing and I couldn't understand why so I must have been pretty young. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    It's a toss up between that and The Toxic Avenger, I'm not familiar with whatever genre both fall into (Ghidora is a monster movie I guess Toxic Avenger cheap 80s horror? ). Haven't seen the original Godzilla either, but they're not showing that. Tickets for Possessor will be bought then, was already a fairly confirmed one, unless it gets really downvoted here. Wanted to grab tickets for 2 out of the 3 I mentioned.

dang, so jealous. I really want to see Possessor
  • Memories of Murder 4K restoration out today. Don’t care about the 4K stuff but Memories of Murder is easily my favourite film ever so you should watch it if you haven’t.
  • I'm watching it at Picturehouse Central in London tomorrow afternoon!  When booking, hall looked empty so should be able to maintain social distancing.  :)
  • Never heard of it, will acquire in due course.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • @Tempy, have you seen Barking Dogs? Any good? I think that’s getting a rerelease too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Memories of Murder 4K restoration out today. Don’t care about the 4K stuff but Memories of Murder is easily my favourite film ever so you should watch it if you haven’t.

Yoooo
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    It's a toss up between that and The Toxic Avenger, I'm not familiar with whatever genre both fall into (Ghidora is a monster movie I guess Toxic Avenger cheap 80s horror? ). Haven't seen the original Godzilla either, but they're not showing that. Tickets for Possessor will be bought then, was already a fairly confirmed one, unless it gets really downvoted here. Wanted to grab tickets for 2 out of the 3 I mentioned.

Its been 'out' for months
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Candidate  Jeff Bridges does a great turn as POTUS in this slightly old school "West Wing" esque White House drama about a candidacy for replacement VP.

Good heartwarming stuff that again - makes us wish for better leaders - and should make us think that if we behaved better we would get better leaders because we would then deserve them.

Sam Rockwell and Gary Oldman doing their thing too. Oldman in particular doing his chameleon thing.  I'm sure I have seen Joan Allen in other things and I remember her being just as good as she is in this.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Mulan. It's boring shite. Even Isla lost interest in it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Holy shit that trailer for Rebecca has me all over it. And it is Ben Wheatley too.
  • Nina wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:

Good quality? It's not where I usually get things :(
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Anyone seen Chalmet homosexual film, something about your name?

Call Me By Your Name. It is excellent

Watched this last night. Great film.
  • Did you enjoy the peach scene?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Who doesn't like peaches and cream?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:

Good quality? It's not where I usually get things :(

Yep!
  • Memories of Murder was great. Still prefer Parasite, and maybe even Mother. But it’s great. Possibly best crime movie. 

Saw little coming soon trailer for 4K Akira. Woooo! Haven’t seen that on big screen before.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Uncut Gems is some film. Still prefer Good Time but thats a hell of two film streak.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!