Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Touch of the Nice-But-Dim's about him in that thumbnail.
  • Haha, now you mention it!
  • Yeah I'm not going to risk my life and the lives of others if the best he can do is Tenet.
    I'm not even going to risk the temptation of seven pound popcorn for Tenet.
  • I hadn’t considered the ‘insider dealing’ argument - the idea that Netflix, Amazon, etc might have a legitimate grievance against Warners gifting themselves streaming premiere rights instead of selling to the highest bidder.

Very much an American way of looking at things, but it’s an American business we’re talking about, so fair point.
  • Warners competitor. “It starts with theaters and it starts with opening weekend.” And so far, those blockbusters have been the ones that generated merchandise sales and theme-park attractions

I dont fully agree with this. Firstly streaming is in its infancy so to say they can't generate other revenues seems a bit premature. It was 40 years between Gerty the Dinosaur and Disney land opening.

Game of Thrones while not a show originating as streamed IP isnt a cinema blockbuster either and tell me that doesn't have a fuck load of merchandise. Likewise The Walking Dead.
    Comic books were generating merch by the truck load while cinema didnt know what to do with them. Its pretty clear merch behemoths can be birthed outside of cinema. (Turtles, Transformers, Barbie, Pokemon the list goes on)

Theme parks. Well there is a Simpsons land in Universal Florida. Marvel land again before the movie makers got a grip existed. The Super Mario land is just about to open. Again not triggered from major cinema blockbusters.

It goes on after this to say WB don't have theme parks as well. Strictly that is accurate but again they have Harry Potter land in Universal and the Harry Potter backstage experience thing over here.

None of that is off the back of streaming IP granted but in time I dont see a reason it couldn't be.
  • Games make more money than movies but have less cultural influence. TV (inc. streaming) has as much cultural influence as movies but makes less money. The power balance between the industries is weird and interesting, because their power lies in different areas.

I think the most likely future is cross-media, with influence being based in brands (entertainment franchises) rather than by medium. Merch and money can come from any brand/franchise, regardless of which medium it started in.

It’s a generational shift, I think. We’re already at the point where a YouTube or Twitch personality can be a merch powerhouse before moving into TV and picking up broader cultural weight. What we’re seeing is the Internet splintering culture - niche fandoms (based on a single personality) eventually overtaking broad ones (like a movie franchise) in combined value/profit.
  • I think you are probably correct in that cross-media is the logical future of things, particularly big IPs. I sense some thrashing from Hollywood as their perch is being shaken.

Disney get it. They have the big movies released, the series like Mando that has the freedom to go to touch points more familiar to uber fans. Then they will drop something in a Fortnite event because you have to crowbar the kids away from it these days. Fortnite will of course be replaced by the next big fad and I'm sure Disney will be there to put a Kylo Ren skin on it.

Meanwhile Nolan flails that nobody wants to see his nonsense at the death chambers instead of in the comfort of their homes.

I think Hollywood might be having to face up to the oxymoron that is blockbuster art house. The question really is, does making art ever really sit with the 14 screen, popcorn munching, 4D experience megaplexes that the budgets seem to demand.

Edit: just remembered Tenet did the Fortnite thing as well. Seems it has a bit of split personality disorder.
  • I think the multiplex is a dinosaur that doesn’t know it’s dying. Smaller cinemas will definitely survive, especially those built on the ‘night out’ experience - a meal, a drink, and a movie. I reckon four or five screen cinemas with a blend of new and classic movies is the financial sweet spot. It’s about shifting their primary moneymaker away from the films and onto the food and drink, or maybe merch. They could even be screening special TV shows on the big screen - I went to see a couple of the tentpole Game of Thrones episodes at the cinema …
  • The latest RedLetterMedia video talked about hoping this would lead back to companies making mid-budget movies like they used to and that it could mean the big Endgame style blockbuster will fade away somewhat.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing some classic style thrillers getting made again.
  • I found Mank great by the end but had to stop myself giving up in the first 30 minutes.
  • Just to piss off Nolan I watched Tenet on my phone.
    Had my earbuds though so sound was decent.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Gave up on Mank an hour in. I'm sure it's great film making but it's boring as anything.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Their decision makes no economic sense, and even the most casual Wall Street investor can see the difference between disruption and dysfunction.

My dude firstly this caused Warner share price to go up, secondly Wall Street cares about year on year profits and this will ensure that they make something before cinemas open.
  • Spider-Man Home 3 seems like it’s going to mad. They’ve got the baddie from the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man (electro -Foxx) and Toby Maguire Spider-Man (Octopus-Molina). So I wonder if it’s going to have a spider-verse feel? Maybe even MM from spiderverse?!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hey so more news dropped that
    Spoiler:

News article link has those spoilers in the story, not in the url -

https://www.ign.com/articles/spider-man-3-alfred-molina-will-return-as-doctor-octopus?sf134018802=1
  • Man if they do Dinosaur Green Goblin from Spiderverse that would be the best b
  • Just watched that there newish Guy Ritchie mockney cockney ganster movie, The Gentlemen.
    Decent enough if somewhat buy-the-numbers fare. You know what you'll be getting for the price of admission with this one, but it's elevated by spirited performances from a stellar cast who all seem to be having a ball. 

worth a butcher's

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:

Go to the cinema, this movie is to die for?
  • g.man wrote:
    worth a butcher's

Best set of comedy accents in a long time.
  • g.man wrote:
    Go to the cinema, this movie is to die for?
    It is uncanny tbh...
    sk45bRf.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Oh god. They found the painfully dull ballad from Muppets Christmas Carol.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55232499

Honestly it being lost was a happy accident.
  • *gasp*

A Wong Kar Wai boxset by Criterion is coming March next year! So excited! 

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/4117-world-of-wong-kar-wai

Alas, I doubt it will come to the UK so I will have to pay probably higher than normal price on eBay. The Ingmar Bergman collection is never on offer at a good price from anyone on eBay. And the Bruce Lee and the Fellini boxsets aren’t coming to UK retailers either. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    New credits so they're all similar and a ton of tweaks and aspect changes. All just an insane amount of love put in. I'll 100% be importing thar bad boy.
  • My wife had a few work trips to the US over the last few years. She failed to find a Barnes and Noble store stocking Criterion items and she also refused to get woke colleagues to order any online that she collect from them and reimburse them. No US trips for a while now. :(
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Aren’t there websites which let you order things to US addresses and then send them on to you for a fee? Not used only myself, but might be worth looking into.
  • Orly?! I’ll Google that then, cheers, see if I get anywhere. It’s the import fees and tax that will sting hard if I go through any official channels. (And UK sellers on eBay take the piss on price.)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I have an US address and mailbox Elf.

It's likely that there will still be custom fees if I send it on, and shipping is not cheap either. Have a look at usps.com (they give estimates on weight etc).
  • You're too kind!  I just Googled and found there are lots of these forwarding services!  Stupid of me not to think there would be.  Yes, I suppose taxes are still there, but it would allow me to take advantage next time there is a 50% sale on at Barnes & Noble.

As I say, you are very kind, but rather than trouble you, I'll look into the parcel forwarding service.  I'll use it once and see how it goes.  If that seems troublesome, I may take you up on your offer!  I'll wait until a good sale though.  50% off on a $250 boxset is a nice discount!

EDIT: reminds me... you still after GBA games?  I may keep one or two, but could PM you names of ones I may be getting rid of?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!