Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I watched it without being aware of any plot.
  • Dunkirk was ace, his best for me.
  • So genuine question. Ellen Page is now Elliot Page. Am I allowed to say that, or is that dead-naming?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, you must pretend it never happened and it's always been that way or the internet will hunt you down and call you names.
  • There are a lot of high profile pieces of media out there with his old name on ’em. I think he’s going to have to take a pragmatic view.
  • The never bothered changing the matrix.
  • As reporting the piece of news I cant see anything wrong with referencing the previous name Ellen, there is valid context we are talking about him changing names.

Where it would be wrong is to refer to him as "previously Ellen" or indeed "Ellen" at all in unrelated news in the future, unless again there is a valid context.
  • If there were a third season of The Umbrella Academy, would Elliot Page return to play Vanya? I think it would be ace if he did, if only to see crazies reacting on Twitter.
  • This is probably incredibly un PC, but when one of the world's most beautiful actresses declares herself to be a man, it's like, wow that's 2020 for you I guess. Good luck to her, I mean him, obviously I suppose :(
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Doesn’t stop you thinking they are beautiful.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    So genuine question. Ellen Page is now Elliot Page. Am I allowed to say that, or is that dead-naming?

Some people say its deadnaming, but I think in this instance that's being fucking stupid. I saw a thread saying you should refer to their previous work. If you report that Elliot Page, known for the X-Men films comes out as transgender you're just confusing people.

Deadnaming is shitty, but I didn't know who the fuck Elliot Page was. The only way to explain who it it without saying Ellen is by making it pointlessly complicated.
  • I quite liked Tenet, fun little jaunt and well put together I thought. Some twists obvious but some not, and all ties together nicely.
  • Deadnaming chat …

I think this stuff’s really interesting, but it can easily start to feel like wrestling language into awkward shapes to try and ‘get it right’.

I figure it’s fair to refer to someone’s past. I don’t feel that’s inherently disrespectful. But then I’m not trans - I haven’t lived that experience and I’ll bow to those who have.

Deliberately deadnaming them in the present tense? That’s inherently disrespectful and deliberately hurtful. Fuck that noise.

I know a few trans people and when I stop to think about it, for a couple of them I don’t even know their old names. It’s never come up and why would it? But someone as famous as Ellen Page can’t just wave a wand and make people remember to call him Elliot from now on. The old Ellen was too famous to disappear.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Referring to someone as trans immediately means they were someone else previously anyway so it's all a bit silly. You can't make the past go away. Has he even implied she should not be mentioned again?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That sentence is weird.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That sentence is weird.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So is that one.
  • Tenet felt like a movie built around a visual effect. 
    It felt like Nolan thought it would be cool to film a battle scene with people running fowards in time while explosions went backwards. 
    The final battle makes zero sense visually. It's also shit, the mass soldier scenes are really, really badly filmed with soldiers walking around, running in the open and there no one's to shoot, I can't remember seeing a bad guy during the climax. 
    I'm not as smart as Tin, none of the time stuff made any sense to me whatsoever. You have to have dropped the bullet so it jumps into your hand, but he didn't drop the bullet. It's rubbish. 
    I kind of enjoyed the spectacle of the thing while it was playing Because, give him his dew, he can film quite stylishly, but now I'm actually getting angry thinking about how nonsensical it all was.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • In the words of the film "Don't try to understand it"
  • It is yet another movie that proves my pet theory that all time travel movies are utter shite. 

Don't point out The Terminator or T2, just shush, go to sleep.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I find it hard to believe that such an utterly stupid film got greenlighted at all, let alone with its undoubtedly massive budget.
  • poprock wrote:
    Deadnaming chat …
    I think this stuff’s really interesting, but it can easily start to feel like wrestling language

I thought this is what you meant before carrying on, and it still made perfect sense to me.

Keep it kayfabe boys.
  • A weird thing happened when I watched Tenet that has never happened before to me while watching a film.
    The premise was so stupid and incomprehensible that it took me so far out of the film I started to realise just how silly acting in such a film is and what wallys these grown men looked.
    Then I giggled for a bit.
  • Did you watch the Cracked video I posted on the last page?
  • I think a good movie could have been made with Tenet's concept but Nolan really needs to front load his films more and then let the rest ride out. Wordy and hard to comprehend exposition moments before a thing happens does not make for a fun film as you're trying to understand how the world works as it's working. If he'd started slow and spent more time with dropped bullet type stuff then it would have been easier to go along with.

Also if he'd changed the Debicki storyline to not be shit, also if the finale wasn't entirely grey and set up earlier in the film so we had a goal to work towards, also if the sound mix wasn't deliberately obtuse etc etc.

I'm still keen to watch a behind the scenes doco to see how some of it was achieved. Especially that fight scene. Although another issue with Nolan is that he's too precious to really go into detail about the filmmaking process. Gimme a Robert Rodriguez type who likes to break everything down and be an open book whilst also teaching me how to cook some delicious Mexican food.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    The 4K versions of The Lord of the Rings have appeared on iTunes/Apple TV, that didn’t take that long after the disc versions were released.

I think if you purchased the HD versions previously on iTunes you’ll get a free upgrade, don’t hold me to that though.

Will be rewatching those over the holidays.
    Things can only get better.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    It is yet another movie that proves my pet theory that all time travel movies are utter shite. 

Don't point out The Terminator or T2, just shush, go to sleep.
    I guess I wasn’t confused by Tenet’s timelines because I love films like Primer and Predestination. I enjoy unpicking a nice time mystery/puzzle.
    Gonna watch Tenet again at some point and try to spot all the tells and gags.

PS: BTTF and Bill and Teds also say hi.
  • So that's daddy, cinty and chump with thumbs aloft for Tenet. I've got to watch it really, I enjoyed all his other films (Prestige so good). Maybe that's the best reason to give it a miss though. Decisions.
  • It’s put together very much like Prestige, Brick, Primer and other “puzzle box” films - if you like that sorta thing I figure you’ll like Tenet.
  • I want Timecrimes but with backwards car chases, nifty suits and mumbling.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!