regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Horrible news. Hybrid Theory shaped my teenage years. One of the first albums I bought with my own hard earned.

What a shame.

Roujin wrote:
    Hybrid Theory was full of absolute bangers back in the day. This is shitty news.

Pretty much. I enjoyed Meteora as well, and seeing them live on the first album tour also got me into see scratching style djing like X-ecutioners and DJ Z Trip. For older people they were always a bit of a joke, but I was like 15 when that first album came out and it had a huge impact on me. Sad news
  • Oh right this is where we talking about it lol i thought music thread was quiet. 3rd CD i ever bought i think. Gateway to basically everything i listen to now, prior to Linkin i was listening to mostly Eminem i think.
    Djornson wrote:
    First celebrity death i can recall where the celebrity had an affect on my life growing up. Loved Hybrid Theory, helped me not care about fitting in. /emo
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    A couple of tracks from the Jay z mash up still reside in my mega hip hop playlist. @davey that twitter thread seems not bad, for Twitter. I never read the threads, and largely use it for woj bombs though.

If that isn't bad then I'm well out of it. I just don't have tolerance for wankery any more.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Only Linkin Park thing I've enjoyed is the mashup on the last Neil Cicierega LP.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Knew nothing of their work but unlike the anonymous heroes in that Twitter thread, I wouldn't snigger at anyone committing suicide and leaving a brood behind. A genuine tragedy.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I only bought Hybrid Theory a few months ago, missed it first time around, but was always conscious of The End, Numb, Crawling... this is bad news. I guess Chris Cornell's passing took him to some dark place from which he struggled to return.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Horrible news. Hybrid Theory shaped my teenage years. One of the first albums I bought with my own hard earned.

What a shame.

Roujin wrote:
    Hybrid Theory was full of absolute bangers back in the day. This is shitty news.

Pretty much. I enjoyed Meteora as well, and seeing them live on the first album tour also got me into see scratching style djing like X-ecutioners and DJ Z Trip. For older people they were always a bit of a joke, but I was like 15 when that first album came out and it had a huge impact on me. Sad news

Same.

Listened to Hybrid and Meteora quite recently, actually. While I may not have stuck with them, I didn't start retroactively disliking their music. Nu-metal, for all it's flaws, produced some great tunes.

Sad news.
  • I'm of a vintage where I just thought all of it was poor man's faith no more.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • That's not very nice to the poor.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    I'm of a vintage where I just thought all of it was poor man's faith no more.

Pretty much, although I'd go with a poor man's Korn/Deftones myself.
  • They're definitely better than Korn.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lols.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I dont like Faith No More at all. Deftones are good tho
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Time has not been kind to Mike Payton's rapping.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What about Mike Patton's?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    His has aged like a fine wine.

Bloody cockocorrect.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Don't blame me for the fact that you are simply wrong ;) . Calling Patton's staccato delivery rapping is lazy and certainly not an opinion shared by the man himself. If he really considered himself a rapper than why would he have done so many collabs with actual rappers such as Rahzel, Kool Keith and Odd Nosdam

Bloke still has one of the finest voices to grace the popular airwaves
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He's got a great singing voice, yes. The bits which sound like a rubbish attempt at rapping less so.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Don't blame me for the fact that you are simply wrong ;) . Calling Patton's staccato delivery rapping is lazy and certainly not an opinion shared by the man himself.
    Thread of the dead -

The author

RIP
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I dont like Faith No More at all. Deftones are good tho

I struggle to like Faith No More. Deftones are fantastic. Unfortunately plagued by their biggest hit being their shittest song. Surprised you would put them in a similar category/genre to linkin park, they sound completely opposite to my ears.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They're both generally considered nu-metal despite the difference in sound.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Because in the early 2000s Kerrang got a channel and MTV2 also happened, so I think anything that ended up on those two channels was considered nu-metal. People are always too quick to label bands and genres are very restrictive. Strange to think that people would also put Incubus in that same bracket or that people thought of Adequate Seven as a Ska band, but way off topic here

Not a huge Linkin Park fan, but 41 is no age, and depression is a horrible thing, and Linkin Park did enough to draw more people to music that I do like and boosted the genres popularity as a whole so yay, and also feels for Chesters loved ones
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Man, sad news. Always loved Chester's voice, and Hybrid Theory was the first 'Nu Metal'/emo/rock type thing I really got into.

41 is young, and another tragic situation.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK wrote:
    Knew nothing of their work but unlike the anonymous heroes in that Twitter thread, I wouldn't snigger at anyone committing suicide and leaving a brood behind. A genuine tragedy.

To be fair it's like judging this place on the folk that have been banned.

All i've seen is an outpouring of understanding and sadness, but you can find anything if you go looking for it.

The best thing someone I follow said was that people who make music that teenagers connect to are important because they let people growing up know that adults have been through and are going through what they are. It validates the feelings they have that are so often dismissed, and being able to connect like that without irony is a gift that's great to have.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Because in the early 2000s Kerrang got a channel and MTV2 also happened, so I think anything that ended up on those two channels was considered nu-metal. People are always too quick to label bands and genres are very restrictive. Strange to think that people would also put Incubus in that same bracket

I never saw Incubus as nu-metal myself, for me, nu-metal was pretty clearly delineated, metal bands who used hip hop influenced beats and rapping (or staccato vocal styles if you prefer) that appeared between the mid-to-late 90s* and early 00s.

* a couple of bands do hail from a bit earlier, but the majority start from here.
  • I still remember Kerrang!'s cover with Evanescence proclaiming the arrival of Nu Goth.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Because in the early 2000s Kerrang got a channel and MTV2 also happened, so I think anything that ended up on those two channels was considered nu-metal. People are always too quick to label bands and genres are very restrictive. Strange to think that people would also put Incubus in that same bracket

I never saw Incubus as nu-metal myself, for me, nu-metal was pretty clearly delineated, metal bands who used hip hop influenced beats and rapping (or staccato vocal styles if you prefer) that appeared between the mid-to-late 90s* and early 00s.

* a couple of bands do hail from a bit earlier, but the majority start from here.

Incubus do use hip hop beats and rapping but okay.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A decade ago
    I never thought I would be
    At twenty-three
    On the verge of spontaneous combustion
    Wo-is-me
    But I guess that it comes with the territory
    An ominous landscape of never ending calamity
    I need you to hear
    I need you to see that I have had all that I can take
    And exploding seems like a definite possibility to me
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But this is also the stupidest conversation to have.

I like incubus btw. I also liked linkin park. Perhaps we should spend this time thinking about his family
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, I mostly ignored Incubus, but I think for me they were always rock rather than metal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!