• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    But this is also the stupidest conversation to have.

I like incubus btw. I also liked linkin park. Perhaps we should spend this time thinking about his family

Fair play. Happy to continue in the music thread if people want.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    TBF, I mostly ignored Incubus, but I think for me they were always rock rather than metal.

They were slightly pre linkin park for me, as my pal in high school was completely into them, but albums before make yourself are more hip hop - science Def is.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    But this is also the stupidest conversation to have.

I like incubus btw. I also liked linkin park. Perhaps we should spend this time thinking about his family

Fair play. Happy to continue in the music thread if people want.

Acht no foul no issue no argument.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'd consider them (incubus) a funk band really, but I suppose that was what was happening then, a really fertile period of bands left right and centre blending various styles, so suddenly everything that had a guitar in drop d and either a synth or a pair of decks was considered nu-metal

Might put them on in a minute now, not listened to any Incubus in years, knowing my luck they've aged badly
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    After this conversation, I'm considering a Deftones soundtrack for tonight's FNF shenanigans.
  • Tempy wrote:

The best thing someone I follow said was that people who make music that teenagers connect to are important because they let people growing up know that adults have been through and are going through what they are. It validates the feelings they have that are so often dismissed, and being able to connect like that without irony is a gift that's great to have.

Similar vintage and similar angle, Eminem has a track on the third album - sing for the moment? - that pretty much nails that sentiment. Amazing.

FNM are gods amongst men, but don't take my quip as ignoring it being shit news about Chester.

Hugs all round etc.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Incubus' last two albums have been great. One very recently released.

Morning View is a all-timer.
  • Jesus, just realised I haven't bought an Incubus since 2004. I have 3 and an EP to catch up on. Where to start Gavin?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I disagree with Gav, and would stay with evertything pre morning view myself

edit : but then I could just reeducate myself
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Morning View was more a "time and a place" album for me. Their stuff before it was awesome, sho nuff.

Dante I'd start with If Not Now, When?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Morning View was more a "time and a place" album for me. Their stuff before it was awesome, sho nuff.

Dante I'd start with If Not Now, When?

Morning view came out in my high school senior year and as such it was a massive part of that "whoah America and cya America" thang. Not a great album but a very personal one to me
  • Is Linkin Park some boyband irony thing then? I hate irony. It's just doing the same shit but knowing it's shit, and that's frankly worse and not to mention fucking lazy. I quite liked it when Aerosmith did that thing with Run-D.M.C. mind, but this is just awful. Moany white moan.
  • Not really, they were just a band that came at the right time for a lot of kids and teens, and kind of defined a certain sound.
  • Kid teeny sound is not one I get along with. Moany fuckers.
  • I believe Linkin Park were a traditionally formed band like any other, with a couple (maybe even just Chester) introduced to the band through a label.
    Semi manufactured I guess but if you look through the history of many bands there are members introduced through outside sources like managers and small labels.

They aren't boyband level like Busted.

I listened to Meteroa today, I forgot how complete an album it is. Nu Metal certainly followed it's Hip Hop influences by filling albums with trash but I don't think Linkin Park adhere to that type at all. Taste is taste but the first two albums are consistent.
    Listening to it reminded me of building maps in Timesplitters of all things. I always thought they were very gamer friendly, I guess that was the audience, then you have that video that was very Halo, Gundam in another video.
  • Oh and Korn are one of the best truly Nu Metal bands there was. Fieldy's  chugging bass, Munkey's mastering of multiple guitar disciplines, Davis' much wider range of influence and his British back ground. All those things came together to be more than the usual goth and/or jock end of Nu Metal.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Just seen this news.. sad times.

As far as Incubus goes.. found a CD in a car.. Dig is ok the rest of the album.. I can see why someone left it in their p/x.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Curious to see if any other aussies who were aware of or listening to Linkin Park circa 2000 or whenever their first album came out ... do any of you remember a melbourne based band Superheist?
    I used to have their EP on pretty heavy rotation along with Nokturnl. 

I'll always have the association in my mind between those three bands. I dont listen to them any more but I did enjoy them back then.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Remember them. Am I getting them muddled though. Know the name, but they're not the ones with the chick singer and catchy post ratcat sound tho, are they?
  • No, superheist were an all-dude band but had a change of lead singer between first and second album.

A quick google seems like they have come back in 2016 though.

Nokturnl were (are) an SA-based indigenous metal/rock band. Sail Away was a pretty stinging rebuke of stoping the boats policy under ruddock fyi.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • John Heard aged 71

Best known as the Dad from Home Alone.
  • One of the finest 'that guy' of his generation.
  • @vela, I was thinking of the superjesus. But have heard of SH.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    @vela, I was thinking of the superjesus. But have heard of SH.

Gravity by the superjesus is an all timer. Made sure o play it at my wedding
  • Facewon wrote:
    @vela, I was thinking of the superjesus. But have heard of SH.

Yeah vague memories of them. Off topic (and still living) is Paul McDermott. He had a fantastic little cabaret comedy band Gud. Lots of circa-2000 Australian music was really high quality. Not that this discussion is all that relevant to this thread, thankfully. Unless you include the tragic history of The Whitlams.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    John Heard aged 71 Best known as the Dad from Home Alone.

That's a shit age. Most people would just be enjoying their retirement at that age. 

And I like him most from Big. 

"I don't get it!"

https://youtu.be/U1_ZEL0ehkE
  • Vale Les Murray. 

One of Australia's leading proponents of the world game and a lovable, professional sports broadcast legend.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!