Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • Yeah but you want a good cricket team, surely?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But you (general you, not actual you) don't believe in climate change so what would you be claiming asylum from?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Spiders and that.
  • There's a tradition in Australian history where a serious fire event gets naming rights. Ash Wednesday, Black Saturday as examples. All as synonymous with disaster for the local areas as Cyclone Tracy or Yasi.

I'm not exaggerating when I suggest we might need to start naming months after colours on the red end of the spectrum. There have been fires running it feels like for five or six weeks, over 1000 homes destroyed, a quarter of the koala population gone, a dozen emergency alerts for some states daily and now we have fire generated thunderstorms producing tornado conditions with fatal consequences.

And it could well continue beyond February.

Shits fucked.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Just go to Hawaii for a bit and ignore it.
  • Vela wrote:
    Yeah but you want a good cricket team, surely?

That's what South Africa and India are for.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yes Vela but how good is cricket
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Here's a good bit countering Taylor's article in The Australian.
    You can take parts of it and make shrill cries at quiet Australians, if they havent burnt yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/dec/31/fact-checking-angus-taylor-does-australia-have-a-climate-change-record-to-be-proud-of
  • Yeah, readfern's always great. He's dude who I've linked to re the Oz rehashing IPA BS.

Him and ketan on twitter are my go tos for weeding out BS.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Hugh Rimington a Laura Tingle doing great work excoriating dickheads today.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Some light reading for anyone wanting a rundown of just how fucked we are and just how fucked our dickhead PM Scott Morrison now is following his shitful performance on multiple fronts.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/98f2b3ff-e648-4e65-a84d-f5273d5e930e?__twitter_impression=true

This one is particularly bad. Forced handshake, then ignores a legit request, then has his crony physically restrain a woman then literally runs away when people express their righteous fury. I'm not kidding, he leaves when he realises this photo op has actual angry people in it. Even Trump handed out paper towels.

8 dead, 17 missing, 1000 plus houses up in smoke, whole towns burned to the ground, a woman dead from smoke inhalation in Canberra (surely more to come on that front, it's like hyperBeijing there currently), NZ snowfields turning brown from the smoke drifting across the ditch, complete failure to lead and act from the federal government and only Daniel Andrews, state premier of Victoria, actually doing anything useful and fucking leading.

Hallo we are fucked
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Oh plus the cricket being the national priority for the PM AND Angus fucking Taylor the cunt and well I can't wait to hear Chris Kenny's take on this what do you think Face
  • Wrong on one point, skerret. Its closer to 1500 homes destroyed.

Bet there'd be a national disaster levy if it happened in qld and was only 1/4 the magnitude of this.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    My 1000+/plus wasn't very clear yah. It's moving faster than the sources I had then, crikeh.

Mm probably. Dutton for PM? There's always a bigger cunt. Seeing a nation turn on a PM like this, don't recall it playing out quite like this before. Fuck him though.
  • Dutton's portfolio is home affairs which includes emergency management. Someone should ask lara bingle to find out where he is too.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I've not seen him in an age. Been a good age.

Also this warms my heart, the gleeful woman at the start made my day
    https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1212691045881917440?s=19

Right you are missus
  • So, on the topic of personal responsibility scaling up, and whether this can have a discernible impact on climate change, this is the sort of thing that catches my eye:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44488051

It's clearly still in its infancy, but key parts of the article indicate that people's reduction of meat intake and animal products is largely driven by climate change, and this has real impact on what big businesses do. Does it compare to, say, getting the China Coal co to stop burning coal? No, at least not yet. But the meat industry (meat only -not counting other animal products like eggs and milk) accounts for 15% of greenhouse emissions. If this does continue to scale - and why shouldn't it, with increased awareness, encouragement, peer pressure, ethical thinking, etc etc - then reducing the emissions by, say, 5% would be huge. Knock on effects would probably be the industry itself desperately trying to reduce remaining emissions.

Is there no meaning to that?
  • Apply that kind of thinking to other areas of your life: heating your house (gas heating is 30+% of the UK's total emissions!) a bit less, driving a bit less, shopping more locally and seasonally, reducing single use plastics etc etc. Do you really think that we cannot personally have impacts on climate change, that this behaviour is not scalable, that it cannot be encouraged to be mass adopted (paying for plastic bags has reduced their use by 90+%), that business and government won't respond to consumer choices on a mass scale?

It's not about putting pressure on parents or children. It's not about blaming us for climate change, personally or collectively. It's about trying to make a difference, however small - a bit like voting, even when you live in an area where you can't seem to make any inroads.
  • It's certainly not about absolving governments and corporations of the blame - they take all of it! But we can help change things surely
  • Bless your cotton socks.

(sustainable cotton, presumably.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Stop the press, Tony Abbott has been volunteering as a fire fighter. Good job Tony.

Restart the press. Tony Abbott tells Israel public radio broadcasting that the world is "in the grip of a climate cult". Normal service has resumed.
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/03/tony-abbott-former-australian-pm-tells-israeli-radio-the-world-is-in-the-grip-of-a-climate-cult
    Dickhead.
  • Israeli radio? Weird.

What's the deal with the PM not fully supporting the fire stuff anyway? Is it because it's currently attached to climate change and so acknowledging the fires would also means acknowledging climate change? All seems weird to me.
  • Oh man that Cabargo footage is so cringe worthy. How could you think you could be pm if you can't handle listening to a woman tell you the troubles she's been through. He just wanders off! And who makes someone shake their hand. How can you not just go in there and listen to what they have to say with some level of humility?

Is Armando Iannucci writing this stuff?
  • Yes to all of the above.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    https://www.abc.net.au/radio/sydney/programs/breakfast/greg-mullins-bushfires/11839122

Everyone ought to listen to this. It is emblematic of the shit that is either happening or going to happen to every country with similar leadership, and essentially marks most of what Morrison said is his most recent press conference as flat out lies. He hasn't properly engaged with the fire chiefs, it's a lie (alter that, he/Littleproud shot down a bunch of things the current crop of fire commissioners requested but it is at best very very misleading, no briefings until June). He lied about actual footage too, in which he clearly walks away from a woman he claims to have spoken to. We can see it Scott, you cunt! Fuck him, he is the worst of the lot.

I've gone tangenty but listen to Mullins, he knows what he is talking about.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    It's certainly not about absolving governments and corporations of the blame - they take all of it! But we can help change things surely

By an absolutely insignificant amount. But whatever makes you feel better, crack on, it's not like you're doing any harm, and you're not pointing the finger at others. Good stuff.
  • I'm also fairly certain I read something about US farming methods contributing much more to greenhouse gas emissions the EU/UK ones. 

Nearly 3/4 of our meat is produced in the UK. The majority of our imports come from Ireland. I can't see how you would get remotely near knocking 5% off that.

As for plastic bags...
  • Hmm. It doesn’t seem to be comparing like with like - sales of bags for life vs use of free single use plastic bags. I would like to see that, but understand that at this stage it’s quibbling over not a lot or very much not a lot.

I still feel strongly, that without absolving govs and corps from any responsibility, we can make scalable changes in our lives which could drive change at all levels. Capitalism responds strongly and quickly to market demand, and governments (at least in democracies) respond to major voter shifts. To deny that is to implicitly deny any and all agency for the individual or groups of individuals, which is basically climate nihilism: there’s nothing we can do so why do anything. It’s a personal thing of course, but I cannot and will not believe that.
  • In short I’ll indeed crack on, and educate my children as well as I can, and try and encourage (without evangelism or nagging, if that’s possible) others to do the same.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Again, good. I'm certainly not trying to discourage people, just giving my point of view, because I've been asked twice now by you, and I've also had SG pointing the finger at parents over the whole fucking thing, which is just plain ridiculous. But how do you balance believing that we're in control of this situation but also blameless if it goes tits up?

I believe that while every individual can always do a little bit more, they can never do enough. The problem is just far too big, and you're up against this sort of shit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50953719

And I don't think we should start down the groups of individuals road either, as that's just muddying the waters. We're talking about personal responsibility within the current systems, aren't we? Once you get into groups you're moving away from that and into the social side of things. Even then, if we're going into our social responsibility, what are we going to do? Get enough people together to renounce the current systems, create society 2.0 and grow it from there? Take over the world with our new, environmentally friendly ways from our little utopian enclave?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!