Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • That’s the species that featured in the second episode of Seven Worlds, One Planet.
  • I love rhinos, one of my favourite kinds of animals. Just tragic.

This was good, she talks about how the climate denial movement stems from a small number of 'scientists', who were also involved with things like denying that smoking causes cancer, and with the Nixon presidency and cold war politics -

I noticed how Youtube puts a Wikipedia banner under the video, and even if you search for "climate change", with a link to the global warming wiki page and the statement - "Global warming is the long-term rise in the average temperature of the Earth's climate system. It is a major aspect of climate change, and has been demonstrated by direct temperature measurements and by measurements of various effects of the warming."

I guess this is an attempt to stem the tide of said scientific distortion.
  • At some point Chinese medicine needs to get a grip on fucking science.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I am sure there are better, more immediate ways he can put his “winnings” to use
  • No labour laws in orbit
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I'd make the point there's no tax regime either, but it's no like amazon pay anyway anywhere.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Weird aside. Not sure if there's a thread elsewhere, but those ads on TV about working conditions at Amazon's warehouses?

Definitely some 'through the looking glass' shit.

If I'm cutting down on meat, I should probably also cut out Amazon too. 
    Much like the food industry though, what are the alternatives?

Most of the stuff I buy on Amazon is niche, and close to impossible to find. Even in London.
  • https://logicmag.io/nature/oil-is-the-new-data/

Interesting enough. Could go in society's ills thread too.

Source warning. Anonymous and old. So may have been posted before and/or be dodge.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Weird aside. Not sure if there's a thread elsewhere, but those ads on TV about working conditions at A himazon's warehouses?

Definitely some 'through the looking glass' shit.

If I'm cutting down on meat, I should probably also cut out Amazon too. 
    Much like the food industry though, what are the alternatives?

Most of the stuff I buy on Amazon is niche, and close to impossible to find. Even in London.

Most people need to cut down on buying stuff as well as meat. Nothing cuts down emissions like a good recession.
  • Meanwhile, in the pc thread, we all plot to upgrade.

;)
  • At least with a good PC build you can reuse most of it each time you upgrade..
  • *buys new laptop.*
  • Facewon wrote:
    Meanwhile, in the pc thread, we all plot to upgrade.

;)

Guilty as charged.

• Big power outages in Sydney today but because it's from non renewable sources the storms will actually be blamed for damages to transmission wires.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Scarier than any spider is the mind of Ian plimer.

Sneaky fix of spelling there.

Meanwhile, this is the article in question.

https://climatefeedback.org/evaluation/ian-plimer-op-ed-in-the-australian-again-presents-long-list-of-false-claims-about-climate/

Just to be doubly sure, I found the original article here...

https://twitter.com/p_hannam/status/1197643423957712897?s=19

So I dive in with my bro in law, because he's used plimer before, re undersea volcanoes and the sun being nearly all iron (don't ask).

Bro in law won't even concede the obvious contradictions.

From WhatsApp, my comments:
    Hard to decide what my favourite fuck up is, but I think "there's no carbon emissions followed by here's china's carbon emissions is up there.

Do you want me to quote him verbatim?

Let's try this.

True or false? There are no CO2 emissions.

True or false? China's CO2 emissions have grown by 53% in the last decade.

"There are no carbon emissions...

If there were [carbon emissions], we could not see because most carbon is black."

"In the past decade China has increased its carbon dioxide emissions by 53 per cent, 12 times Australia’s total carbon dioxide output of 1.3 per cent of the global total."

Square that circle!

Response:

"your a fool.. sucked in again by bullshit.. these statements were said to ridicule climate change warriors and you sprout them as the truth... poor fool.."

Facepalm.
  • Mate don't argue with people who think the sun is iron.
  • But they get articles in the Australian.
  • Fucksake.

You could readily argue the Australian is on par with or even less reliable than news.com.au

Same shitty owners, but one is generally shit while the Oz is specifically and ideologically shit.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    This country is fucked. Just fucked. Lazy, stupid, racist and indifferent to a completely useless and openly hostile government. fuckd I tells ye
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    This country is fucked. Just fucked. Lazy, stupid, racist and indifferent to a completely useless and openly hostile government. fuckd I tells ye

Sounds familiar.
  • how good are police states
  • The sky in Sydney is orange, but not in a good way.
  • Arguing with my bro has made me dig in on a number of claims and get a better understanding of the science. Found some goso stuff recently. I'll post some highlights this week.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Interesting, because wanted to post this earlier...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/11/25/why-everything-they-say-about-climate-change-is-wrong/#4dd5de4912d6

In summary, it's a formalisation of the line of discussion I tried to raise here - http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/1671082#Comment_1671082

But it goes slightly further than just talking about the effect that overzealous advocacy might be having on the mental state of an impressionable generation, to touch on how the renewed political effort might also potentially detail itself, with it's own hyperbolic force.

A quick illustration of the point would probably be found here:

https://youtu.be/pO1TTcETyuU

Which for some, might be preferable to the article I've posted, but I suspect might not be perfectly fair, because we all know Andrew Neil is an arse... If not somewhat compelling.

• Sigh. "Environmental journalists and advocates have in recent weeks made a number of apocalyptic predictions about the impact of climate change. Bill McKibben suggested climate-driven fires in Australia had made koalas “functionally extinct.”"

That was debunked almost instantly, and Forbes was one of the fucking sources fucking it up in the first place. 

"Few have underscored the threat more than student climate activist Greta Thunberg and Green New Deal sponsor Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The latter said, “The world is going to end in 12 years if we don't address climate change.” Says Thunberg in her new book, “Around 2030 we will be in a position to set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control that will lead to the end of our civilization as we know it.”"
    There's a difference here between the first and the second claim. And the second gets at the reality a bit better. AOC has used hyperbole, but focusing on that, to the point of even writing this article, is dumb.

The world will become a much much less hospitable place for humans in large numbers to function as we currently are isn't very catchy.

Poor water security, food scarcity, plain old extreme heat, cold and weather events - flooding, fire and hurricanes etc - aren't conducive to a life well lived. Shit Journalism is shit journalism. 

Sometimes, scientists themselves make apocalyptic claims. “It’s difficult to see how we could accommodate a billion people or even half of that,” if Earth warms four degrees, said one earlier this year. “The potential for multi-breadbasket failure is increasing,” said another. If sea levels rise as much as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predicts, another scientist said, “It will be an unmanageable problem.” 

This is just accurate, that 4c mark will still take a while, but if it holds, it's on the high side of predictions, and things will be bad in X amount of years.
  • I note through said arguments that we all have trouble with timescales on this. 

It requires looking at things through 10-30 year periods for climate and CO2 in atmos for what we're doing now, as well as looking at literally tens of thousands of years of trends. 

And the numbers around CO2 are crazy to grasp as well.

Not to mention the difficulty because of the misinformation out there.
  • https://skepticalscience.com/big-picture.html
    I somehow haven't hit this particular page on this site. But man, it's such a good site.

If your claim is on their myth list, you in trouble.
  • Do we call this epoch the Holocene or the Plasticene?

Because it's going to stand out in the geological record something fierce. Permian Version 2.

The only thing preventing that scenario is the duration of the event. We might not be able to emit copious amounts of GHG if industry and civilisation collapses in under a millennium. The Permian went on for quite a bit longer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!