Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • And she was entering child beauty pageants. On reality TV. Massively different
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Also one was being put out there for fame, money, exposure.

The other is demanding a future for her entirely age group.

This is some galaxy brain comparison.
  • @dyno I think regardless of what greta says she is arguing a point and calling out hypocrites and opponents alike. Those who don't like her are attacking her, not her arguments.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • From what I’ve read some people feel she is being exploited and being put forward as ‘the face of climate change’ by companies and Silicon Valley backers to promote a corporate friendly version of climate change activism, ie not radical enough .... but I know little about it and haven’t bothered to investigate further, so couldn’t really say.

Obviously, the right wing response is either ‘I’m not being told what to do by some uppity teen, I’ll pump out even more pollution just to spite you, missy! or ‘I read something, somewhere that said climate change doesn’t even EXIST and it’s all just another leftwing conspiracy!’
  • The irony there is that if you've ever listened to anything she's said it would be patently obvious that what she's saying goes well beyond any corporate friendly climate change agenda.
  • Right wing climate change deniers are the same as Holocaust deniers, Flat Earthers, Anti-Vaxxers and other conspiracy theorists, it doesn’t matter what evidence you present, to them it’s a matter of faith and faith doesn’t require evidence, for they are the keepers of a more profound special truth, that only they can see.
  • The irony there is that if you've ever listened to anything she's said it would be patently obvious that what she's saying goes well beyond any corporate friendly climate change agenda.

Well, yeah.

I don’t really know, I just read a few articles to try to understand why some people online were attacking a young girl for campaigning to save the planet, which seemed a shitty thing to do.

Corporate sabotage of climate change activism is of course completely feasible and no doubt happens, whether they were using this girl for those purposes wasn’t really proved or disproved.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    Corporate sabotage of climate change activism is of course completely feasible and no doubt happens, whether they were using this girl for those purposes wasn’t really proved or disproved.
    And
    Vela wrote:
    @dyno I think regardless of what greta says she is arguing a point and calling out hypocrites and opponents alike. Those who don't like her are attacking her, not her arguments.

I'm well aware of that... Like the vile shit that Aron Banks was caught saying.

Which is exactly why I'm asking about who would put their kid in that position? Because not many people would. So yeah... I did offer 'Honey Boo Boo' as a very (actually, I would state, 'fairly'...) distant point of reference to encourage a little lateral thought. 

But Greta's current position, whether it obtains some permanence, or whether, like many internet fashions, it does end up, like Kony 2012, in the 'Wtf was that about, really?' folder of new media anomalies, is unique. 

Most especially because of her age.

So for me, Honey Boo Boo has been one lens through which I've tried to look at this (she wanted to do it. Her mother definitely wanted her to do it. 'Boo Boo' herself wasn't going to say no, but did that validate her mother's actions? I personally don't know... Same with Greta, really. But the stakes in Greta's case, are much higher).

Gina Miller, is undoubtedly another frame of reference. Very high profile, very high stakes. But given Gina's age, bearing, and actions, it's much harder to claim she's being manipulated in anyway.

Not sure if Reg has offered an opinion on this specific subject at any point in the recent past, but thinking about it, he's probably the resident expert on this argument.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So for me, Honey Boo Boo has been one lens through which I've tried to look at this (she wanted to do it. Her mother definitely wanted her to do it. 'Boo Boo' herself wasn't going to say no, but did that validate her mother's actions? I personally don't know... Same with Greta, really. But the stakes in Greta's case, are much higher).

Are you saying Greta has been pushed into this position by her mother and, if so, do you have any evidence for that claim?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Are you saying Greta has been pushed into this position by her mother and, if so, do you have any evidence for that claim?

Like Larry has said, I really don't know.

If you start reading around the subject, some people will offer theories, and in some cases, verifiable names (PR companies). Also, the background of Greta's parents are far from a secret, and make for interesting reading.

I've got no real conclusions here. 
    I just think it's anomalous, and worth the conversation.
  • I'm not sure it's really all that unique. I suspect that most of you would know who I was referring to if I mentioned Swampy, and I don't really see how they're all that different, beyond age. The difference being the internet has enabled this to go worldwide rather than being limited to a single nation.
  • There’s a massive difference between parents actively encouraging awful behaviour from a 6 year old because it sells, and will make them personally incredibly rich, and parents supporting the well-behaved actions of a 15 year old because she wants to do the right thing for the good of everyone.

I find it incredible that we’re even having this conversation, tbh.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think it’s right-wingers trying to distract from a message which they are unable to argue against and so making up some rubbish about her being a puppet and it isn’t worthy of a moment of our time.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think it’s right-wingers trying to distract from a message which they are unable to argue against and so making up some rubbish about her being a puppet and it isn’t worthy of a moment of our time.

Considering it followed everything from attacking her age, her looks and her mental state, I think that’s a given.

It’s the only play they’ve got and one that they’ve overused so many times it’s become farcical.

• She frightens people because the odds are she's right.

Of course she is saying the same thing people have been warning about for decades and still it is ignored.

It's possible we are in Permian 2.0, which has similar specs to the first release but runs faster on the latest firmware.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    She frightens people because the odds are she's right.

Hmm...

Could be bait... X'D
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Some guys at work were going off on one about her last week. I said to them that grown men who feel the need to attack a 16 year old girl should take a hard look at themselves. They haven't mentioned her since (at least not with me in ear shot).
  • No bait, dyno.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    No bait, dyno.

Lol! I'm just being a dick.

If you manage to effect a revolution, I'm willing to support most of the non martial policies you aim to effect.

Joking aside, was abroad recently in a country that is undoubtedly vulnerable to the changes in climate. Indeed, the country did actually suffer an unscheduled hurricane over 10 years ago, and it completely flattened the country's economy. It was also obvious that the recovery was not fully complete.

Plenty of people had stories about how it all affected them. One of the more interesting stories was from this one guy... a conservationist, about how warnings of an extreme weather event, and it's path was communicated about 5 days in advanced, but the warning was generally/colloquially dismissed as bullshit...

A number of people died and were injured unnecessarily as a result of that prevailing attitude. 
    Can you imagine that? This is for an observable event...
  • I can imagine that. In any country, tbh.
  • Yeah there were a load of people who wouldn't evacuate that village with the damaged dam here earlier this year. Luckily nothing came of that.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Interesting story...
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/10/09/exposure-to-air-pollution-is-linked-to-an-increase-in-violent-crime

That's the thing about this Greta / Extinction rebellion movement. Quite apart from the scientific debate (yeah, yeah, there is no debate...), the movement stinks of upper middle class exclusivity.

This kind of story though. It's measurable, everyone has a stake, and it's also in line with long term goals. Whether that longterm objective appears to be attainable or misinformed.
  • Interesting story...
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/10/09/exposure-to-air-pollution-is-linked-to-an-increase-in-violent-crime

That's the thing about this Greta / Extinction rebellion movement. Quite apart from the scientific debate (yeah, yeah, there is no debate...), the movement stinks of upper middle class exclusivity.

This kind of story though. It's measurable, everyone has a stake, and it's also in line with long term goals. Whether that longterm objective appears to be attainable or misinformed.

Not sure what you're getting at here? Protests are happening in the middle of cities, anyone can join.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It’s something being talked about.

I’d post a link, but I’m a little drunk and it doesn’t seem to want to play ball.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Divide and conquer tactics. How do the super wealthy industrialists stop the "working class" getting on board with a movement? Tell them it's middle class.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It’s something being talked about. I’d post a link, but I’m a little drunk and it doesn’t seem to want to play ball.

I've felt this way for a very long time.
    Sober up and post, dammit.
  • That's the thing about this Greta / Extinction rebellion movement. Quite apart from the scientific debate (yeah, yeah, there is no debate...), the movement stinks of upper middle class exclusivity.

Anyone with the bandwidth to fuck everything off and go on a bunch of protest actions probably isn't as hard up as they could be, no.

But would you rather they didn't bother?
  • That's my take on it.
    I am sure plenty of working class people want to go but are either working or can't afford the transport.

The higher class someone is the more they should shoulder as well. The poor arent flying off on holiday 3 times a year and driving Range Rovers.
    The poor rarely have a choice in their carbon footprint.
  • There are some people locally who have managed to go entirely off-grid electricity wise for $60,000. They are farmers, who had to either spend a similar amount for the infrastructure from the nearest power company pole to their remote property. It was cheaper to do battery + solar.

The average person can't do that, which is why pressuring governments to act (therby spreading the cost like we already do with roads, education and healthcare) is a reasonable course of action.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    That's my take on it.
    I am sure plenty of working class people want to go but are either working or can't afford the transport.

There’s tons of them especially in the Black and Latino communities, they just seem to be massively underrepresented in the media coverage.

It’s a worldwide movement of incredible depth, but almost all of the coverage is predominantly white.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/extinction-rebellion-race_uk_5cb97c0de4b06605e3ed510c?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!