Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It’s a worldwide movement of incredible depth, but almost all of the coverage is predominantly white.

And as if by magic, Lewis Hamilton wades in with an opinion...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50061569
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    - delete (accident) -
  • Go vegan, it is the only way to truly save our planet today

Pretty sure it's major political and administrative effort that has any actually appreciable agency here. As a rich popular bloke, he could exercise more than most to kick something in that direction idk.
  • A global reforestation effort would probably be an easier sell.
  • I dread to think of the carbon footprint of F1. The actual racing of cars being the least of it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Ham probably gets a ton of requests each day to back forces that advocate inaction on environmental issues ('denialists' for the staunch amongst you). He probably just wanted to put some of those potential sponsors on 'blast'.

If he wins the championship this year, equalling Shumacher, perhaps he should quit F1, and race Formula E instead.

That would be one heck of a statement.
  • My dude doing the work on twitter again...

Ketan's book will be purchased, fo sho.

"I know I pick on Chris a lot but honestly, nobody embodies the Dunning-Kruger effect better than him. I found this tweet looking for something related and, well, it's a very, very good example of how misinformation forms when you have 10% cursory knowledge and 90% smugness."

https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1184360038468599808?s=09

I know I've posted from him before, and I think I've posted stuff from him around windfarms.

I also know you had blackouts somewhere over summer and there was a blame game around windfarms.

As I've also mentioned or posted, the blackouts in SA in 2016 did a similar thing.

So the above is well worth a read and to keep in mind, because you'll 100% see the same tricks and misinformation used around wind in the UK.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The new episode of Chapo has a great interview with Naomi Klein about climate change that's worth a listen. Lots of good stuff about climate denial and the move to climate fascism by the right.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    What did everyone make of the scenes from the protests on the tube (London) today?

I've not made up my mind on how I feel about XR, but I abhor the violence against them.

The problem is their perceived new target. Agitating your support group will fuck up your cause. It started fairly well... It felt like the media was backing them. It's a cause that's easy to co-opt, and many of the aims are, theoretically, very easy to share.

But now, the backlash may have taken the cause backwards...

We might possibly have moved from a few jokes about tree hugging, and a reluctant intent to recycle, to active opposition and open hostility to a movement that was just starting to draw positive, wide ranging attention...

What should XR aim to do now? Escalate, or adjust the strategy?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve been hearing that XR collectively voted against this move but a group went off and did it anyway.

Pretty daft to be disrupting public transport to try and protect the environment, IMO.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's quite an own goal.

Why not head over to Mayfair, and splash a few gallons of fake blood over a few Bentleys instead?

Would probably get more (well... Less...) mileage out of stunts like that.

I bet they would, if they weren't worried about their parents taking the repair costs out of their fucking endowments.

Fucking toffs.
  • Yeah, it's pretty simple, attacking pt is dumb.

But if that's enough for folks to go backlash/spiteful, then fuck em.

Folks banging in about if you'd told me nicely I'd agree can do one.
  • I support XR but today's protests were severely misguided.
    It's worth mentioning that the vast majority of the organisation did not approve of the action prior to it taking place.

Obstructing the hard working everyman from using public transport is a fucking stupid move. Getting people to use public transport and making public transport a viable alternative elsewhere in the country is incredibly important to improving localised air quality as well as global climate change.
    Obstructing people doing so from getting on, potentially losing people their earnings is not on and will win no friends.
    Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The airport stuff I am torn on.
    Flying is really one of the single worst things people do considering it is largely unnecessary (unlike say commuting to work or eating).
    It's not easy to come to that conclusion, aviation is in my blood.
    So I do back their disruption at airport terminals or even drone disruption.
    I'm not keen on the guy getting on top of the plane or the guy causing a scene on the plane. Too much history involved and can be genuinely distressing and scary for people on those planes, including kids. It's also a real good way to get shot.
    I think the terminal disruption does enough without going to those lengths.

In general I think XR need to tighten up and focus on what gets the message across without putting off the general public. These extreme stunts allow gov to blanket shut down their cause.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    How many of the people using that train were shift workers who won't get a full days pay if they're late for work. While it's not an excuse for violence, it's a predictable response, and entirely the wrong audience to target.
  • I dont condone the violence but those crowds waiting for trains get heated. I've been there during tube strikes etc and it gets tense, tempers are pushed as claustrophobic, frustrated conditions set in. Also worth saying all the footage I have seen the protester in the suit kicks out first after having crap thrown at him.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, that's why I said it was a predictable response. It's also targeting the people with the least agency to do anything about climate change, but who will be most affected by any disruption from protest.
  • As to what can XR do next.
    I actually think they were onto something with shutting down roads and particularly bridges. That started in London but spread and gained a lot of support.
    I supported them throughout but even found myself making a decision to use public transport because practicality. They were moving bridge to bridge when I went up to Leeds, meant I got the train rather than taking the car.
  • Excellent use of a mineshaft gap.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Interesting development. The UK government will ban fracking, I think:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50267454
  • Interesting development. The UK government will ban fracking, I think:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50267454

Yes because they can't make money on it. Despite all the various ways they've tried to get away with it, it won't be profitable so they will 'ban' it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • A triumph for local democracy there, that it was banned by local government, overridden by the Tories, and then banned by them 5 and a half years later.
  • More money pissed up the wall.
  • Well, looks like Australia is on fire again.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    she'll be right, getting rid of protesters is the main thing
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • And don't let women swear on TV
  • Are there any 'realistic' climate change fiction films? Like not the usual Day After Tomorrow insane over the top disaster Hollywood style thing, but something about what happens when parts of the world become too hard to live in and people start migrating, wars start popping off, that kind of stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Mad max
    Children of men?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!