ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    So why do all these graphs keep showing the last 80 years? Give me data, because I swear the earth was a lot hotter than it was today around 4 billion years ago. That graph earlier shows an increase of 0.35-0.4 degrees. Also I've only just noticed that these measurements were taken at Mauna Loa, might the fact that it's been dormant for something like 30 years explain the recent flat spot in temperature
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yes it was a lot hotter 4Billion years ago. You have any relatives from back then?

To find data on global temperatures measured across massive numbers of locations, different methods of measuring, different places in the atmosphere, oceans, land, and pre-historical records from ice cores and tree rings, just google it. There are literally unending links to good material.

Try Skezza's link, actually, for a good start with references.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Just I'd expect atmospheric CO2 to be higher above a volcano than not above a volcano
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    To find data on global temperatures measured across massive numbers of locations, different methods of measuring, different places in the atmosphere, oceans, land, and pre-historical records from ice cores and tree rings, just google it. There are literally unending links to good material.

• Yep me too. CONSENSUS
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    And my question was, and still is, what is the correlate? Co2s? That's disputable, the chart makes that an easy challenge.
    So to recap. You agree climate change is happening right now. You agree that it is happening very quickly. Correct? So you've moved on to the third question, which was "are humans responsible for at least a significant amount of this recent change", and you have dodged it, and gone straight on to CO2. Whether CO2 has an effect on climate is utterly and totally indisputable. The greenhouse effect is a real thing, which keeps us alive, and frankly bugger off back to GSCE Science if you don't get that. As for the chart somehow showing that CO2 is not a major, or the major factor in increased temperatures, I don't understand what you mean. It shows that the temperature has gone up and stayed up. There are questions over why it didn't continue to go up, and they have been addressed in various ways as has been pointed out to you. But in any case the chart provides absolutely no evidence whatsoever that CO2 is not a major factor in climate change. Next:
    The birth rate is a strong one, but we haven't examined that yet.
    I'm at a loss about this one. Why would birth rate have an effect on global climate? And how can you show (i.e.: not just conjecture or theorising, but actual evidence-based research) that this effect is real and more important than, say, CO2?
    Agriculture is also a major one...
    Um, agriculture is cited as a cause for climate change because DUM DUM DUUUUM it is responsible for vast amounts of greenhouse gas emissions. Are you actually arguing against your self now?
    And how do we set up 'controls' for lab work in an experiment performed on a living system? How do we know if this pattern of climate change has anything to do with us, and not an unknown cosmic phenomenon?  And how do we explain ice ages of the past? Do you think we may see another ice age in the future? There's still a great deal of dispute about the cause of the ice age, and that's in the benefit of hindsight...
    What you are asking for is scientific research. Which is what has been done. And the best evidence, analysed by the best minds, has led to the conclusion that this time, humans are having a major effect. What I love about this is the dichotomy you seem unaware of: on the one hand, you demand a simple fact-based explanation for everything otherwise there will always be doubt. On the other: there can never be fact-based explanation because it's too complex man! brilliant, i mean brilliant rhetoric you should write for the daily telegraph.
    What's wrong with asking questions aout the subject?  I'm trying to say that it's impossible to be certain about this, and that the intelligent thing to do, is to learn more...
    There's nothing wrong with questions. And there's nothing wrong with doing research. You should take your own advice and actually read the science (NOT the telegraph). It is impossible to be certain about things in science, yes. What it is not impossible to be is pretty damn sure. Do you want to argue against a lot of scientists saying they are pretty damn sure? On what basis? With what evidence?

What I'm actually saying, is that there's no widely accepted theory that explains how human behaviour is effecting climate change.

Thats an absolute fact.

Even the most ardent fanatic will tell you that even the most conservative model to affirm a AGW outcome is hypothetical.

Cases against are similarly fuzzy.

Other, possibly related arguments, like the negative effects of unchecked consumption though, are very clear concerns. 

Those concerns are very closely related to the 'suspected' causes of AGW, so we're in agreement on action, but not the catalyst.

Fossil fuels are dirty, and they have a clear, demonstrable impact on our physical health. 
    Yes. I want to see an effort to cut down on their use. Perhaps even ban them, if alternatives prove to be useful.

Fossil fuels may or may not have an impact on the global weather system, though?...
    Exactly.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • What I'm actually saying, is that there's no widely accepted theory that explains how human behaviour is effecting climate change. Thats an absolute fact.

Ah, we get to the rub. There is, in fact, a widely accepted theory (at least by climate scientists). Or I should say there are a number of accepted theories. Which centre on human activity increasing the greenhouse effect. If by "not widely accepted" you are talking about non-climate scientists, then OK, sure. I know that I'd rather be on the side of the experts who spend their life working at these theories, than the relatively uneducated agenda-pushers.
    Even the most ardent fanatic will tell you that even the most conservative model to affirm a AGW outcome is hypothetical.

You never know, it could turn out to be an invisible radiator somewhere. The point of science is to find the best theory to fit the facts. There is no better theory, at this time, than greenhouse effect to explain climate change's current rapidity, and no better theory at this time than humans contributing to this.

As I've said already, I don't believe that you'll convince enough people to change anything about their behaviour if you don't make them understand the very real risk they run. Just saying coal is bad mmkay seems to have no effect whatsoever. Perhaps saying you will all die will have more effect.
  • NCDC%20GlobalMonthlyTempSince1958%20AndCO2.gif
    You see, I'm still waiting for someone to explain this chart. Is the data fake? I'd say it's a good starting point to explore both sides of the argument... It looks like there's a correlate there. A pattern too possibly... There's a steady rise there, but where's the explanation for the fall? Were we planting more trees, or something? And what of the blantant spikes? There will surely be some explanation for those.  What's wrong with wanting to know more?

@dynamiteReady

First off, sorry if you feel you're being bullied in the argument. I don't doubt your sincerity in the discussion, but it is frustrating for many to separate your posts from the person making them because you are essentially reposting arguments that disingenuous skeptics run their campaign on. These comments get parroted in News Ltd comments sections and you can see how they might instantly attract a bit of disdain.

Anyway, to address your query:

1. I found this was a great article to explain why your chart is misleading. If you've heard of the "pause" in warming, that is what your chart is about.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-03/jericho-government-goes-cold-on-global-warming/5714026

2. Also, the Climate Council in Aus has some explanations on why the pause has been observed. It still doesn't mean there isn't extra heat being stored on Earth, it just means we aren't yet feeling it because of where it is stored. 
    https://www.climatecouncil.org.au/the-pause-in-warming-myth-debunked

3. This article also has some useful explanations on how modern records are reconciled with pre-scientific methods (tree rings, ice cores etc). http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/has-global-warming-paused/

I'm not far out of bed though so leave me a tag if you need more reading or want some more back and forth discussion. :)
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    All these graphs are basically gubbins

So over 100 years it looks like it's rising but only 0.4 degrees

however looks scarier over a thousand years

Global_temperature_1ka.png

Yet go back further and you kinda think, bothered

Dansgaard-Temperature2.jpg

Even further it looks perfectly normal, and pretty cyclic

global_temperatures.jpg

That shit be data, I'm neither trying to disprove or prove global warming, I'm simply saying that practising good husbandry can only be a good thing, however you manage to convince people of their responsibilities
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What I'm actually saying, is that there's no widely accepted theory that explains how human behaviour is effecting climate change.

Yes there is. 97% of climate scientists who express an opinion on the cause agree. How much more widely accepted do you want?
    Thats an absolute fact.

No it's not.

Theories about the future are hypothetical? Yes, I do agree.
    Cases against are similarly fuzzy.

No, they aren't. Disinformation is not fuzzy information. There is no equivalence between your motley bunch of geologists, ecologists and dowsers and the world's leading climatologists. None at all.

As I say, the only explanation that I have for your position is wilful ignorance. Everything you've thrown up to try to counter these arguments has been torn down in a few clicks of a mouse, meanwhile you continue to completely ignore the mountain of available, peer-reviewed evidence from people who work in this field in preference for whichever piece of denialist claptrap you happen across next.

You have nothing that supports your view.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    I'm not far out of bed though so leave me a tag if you need more reading or want some more back and forth discussion. :)
    Yeah hurry up, I'm getting sleepy.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Besides aren't we due an ice age in 1500 or 15000 years anyway, I forget which, sorry
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    You never know, it could turn out to be an invisible radiator somewhere.

Well...
    Funkstain wrote:
    The point of science is to find the best theory to fit the facts.

Science is a search for facts... The truth, actually.

@Vela - That's better. No recourse to a character assasination, no name calling, some facts, and some sources to follow...
  • I kinda hope Griff's hot space has staying power.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cocko, nobody's arguing that the climate doesn't fluctuate, temperature fluctuations don't disprove AGW.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Well...
    Funkstain wrote:
    Science is a search for facts... The truth, actually. @Vela - That's better. No recourse to a character assasination, no name calling, some facts, and some sources to follow...

I gave you facts, I gave you a source, you ignored them.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Thats an absolute fact.

I'm sorry on this one, Yoss.

The only constant here, is that the people who actually do the science have learnt a lot, but cannot claim absolute surety.
  • Guys I eat a lot of protein every day, where am I supposed to get this from without meat. Chicken and tuna are like a quarter or more of protein per gram.
  • "Hot Space: The Invisible Radiator" - by Lord_Griff (c) 2015.

In all good book stores.

Also Cock's graph implies that the Earth should on average be c3 degrees cooler than it is now (over 450k years)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Thats an absolute fact.
    I'm sorry on this one, Yoss. The only constant here, is that the people who actually do the science have learnt a lot, but cannot claim absolute surety.

That's your quote, not mine, and the 'fact' that you were claiming was that there's no scientific consensus. There is.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I kinda hope Griff's Hot Space has staying power.
    Capitalised for Maximum Impact.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Guys I eat a lot of protein every day, where am I supposed to get this from without meat. Chicken and tuna are like a quarter or more of protein per gram.
    Fermented soybeans, dig in.  Also peanuts are about 28% protein.
  • I figured the other Australian would get that gag first.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I need to post less.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    "Hot Space: The Invisible Radiator" - by Lord_Griff (c) 2015. In all good book stores. Also Cock's graph implies that the Earth should on average be c3 degrees cooler than it is now (over 450k years)

Really? Heh.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Well...
    Funkstain wrote:
    Science is a search for facts... The truth, actually. @Vela - That's better. No recourse to a character assasination, no name calling, some facts, and some sources to follow...

At no point have I insulted you. A bit of snark (go back to school if you don't believe in greenhouse effect).

To keep things impersonal, there is no difference between my statement about science and your statement. Search for truth is achieved via theories and obtaining experimental empirical data that supports or disproves the theory. Upon disproof, theory is either improved or discarded and replaced. So I don't understand what your point is, with that statement.

As for Cocko's long term graphs. The issue is the speed at which the climate is warming. This is not precedented. You can just about see it in your second graph, right at the end, where the line appears to go vertically up. To be clear, cyclically we should be at around the peak of a warm period. Instead, we're rapidly going higher, faster than ever before.

And Yoss is right too - just because there have been cycles before doesn't mean this one isn't different, and indeed the climate scientists are pretty damn sure it is different.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • Skerret wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Guys I eat a lot of protein every day, where am I supposed to get this from without meat. Chicken and tuna are like a quarter or more of protein per gram.
    Fermented soybeans, dig in.  Also peanuts are about 28% protein.

I was gonna holler at this and say hey but tofu only has like 10g of protein per 100 grams compared to chicken but it's also half the calories or something so I guess I can just eat more of it anyway. Okay I'll give this a go.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

Are you going to try to link the warming of the last however many years to sunspots? If so, it's a dead end.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!