Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • I'm not sure I could stomach Waterworld again.  I never minded it but made the mistake of watching a 3hr version during lockdown and I think that's ruined it for me.
  • Eat your Smeat mutant!
  • I have a feeling they'll look back and realise the tipping point was actually in 2015 or so.

There's no leadership on this.

The worst of it is still preventable, not that we'll do anything anyway.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yeah lately I've not been feeling as optimistic.

I still believe it will require a catastrophe before action is taken at the top. And not a hyperbolic "catastrophe" either. I mean something genuinely life altering to a region. Governments are being so stupidly short sighted and cowardly about this. At this stage we need a Marshall Plan approach. Let's face it - our way of life is going to change - we might as well get ahead of it.
  • We don't know the tipping points but somewhere in the timeline there's a point of no return. It's possible we've already crossed it but unlikely. The thing to do is push that point further back and anyone can do their bit to reduce without legislation, that will never come in time anyway. 

If we can avoid it long enough to make the tech required to fix this then there's hope. I suspect it might be a tight race but it's going to be rough regardless. 

I can't quite shake a dream I had where they were just shooting the boats to stop them arriving and I was carried off to the camps because I didn't have my papers on me.
  • When I watched Waterworld as a kid, I always thought the nonce on the boat was played by Robin Williams.

Anyway, a heat index of 70°C was recorded in Iran yesterday.
  • Dennis Hopper was a great badguy, tho
  • I have a feeling they'll look back and realise the tipping point was actually in 2015 or so.

2012-the incas were right after all.
    You rang.....
  • Areas of Hawaii are experiencing huge wildfires. At least 6 dead.
  • When Antarctica melts we can all live there in peace and harmony
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Long (watch on 2x, I rarely consume media otherwise these days, I have shit to do) but really quite a rich piece of work:

• Goddamit now I'm going to have to watch this instead of playing BG3.
  • I can already tell this is more about optimism in a post-fucked and more enlightened world, and not about humans being increasingly fascist in a rapidly shrinking environment and survival of the cuntiest, but I'll persevere.
  • Fucking mushrooms now. Started off well enough but where is the the science about climate change? I like the person but this is the difference between gender/economic/social/political views and facts. 

Admittedly science has massively under-fucked the situation but it's all we have, and to predict human behaviour without knowing how physically fucked the planet is seems pointless.
  • Im not fucking mushrooms.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Can’t you fit them in?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Fucking mushrooms now. Started off well enough but where is the the science about climate change? I like the person but this is the difference between gender/economic/social/political views and facts. 

Admittedly science has massively under-fucked the situation but it's all we have, and to predict human behaviour without knowing how physically fucked the planet is seems pointless.

Loads of people are going to die, then it'll probably be alright again.
  • Spoke like Sunak himself.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

Admittedly science has massively under-fucked the situation but it's all we have

I don't understand this bit. Reads like we're trying to fuck the situation with science?
  • Does under-estimated help?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It does.

Not sure those are two interchangeable words mind
  • Ah well.
  • Some areas of Hawaii fucked in just a few hours.

• General question SG and not having a dig here, but how do you see technology playing a role in mitigation of global heating given the massive energy footprint of computing power?

I can't reconcile the need for a livable planet versus the mythical silver bullet being found by AI. Honestly, if AI ever gets invented and put on the case to solve the problem, it will probably just determine the only course of action is to fry every electronic device and send us back to the bronze age.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I think that's probably a too broad use of AI which seems to be the popular way of thinking about AI right now.

Instead of saying "hey computer, what if the not climate change happen did we do?" And it spouts out "DEATH".

AI can be used as a tool to more rapidly hunt for answers in data we have. How to optimise solutions and minimise energy use. To be useful AI really needs to be fenced in using some kind of parameters.
  • A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
  • True, but it still takes a fuckload of energy to run big data centres.

Let's say we decide that machine learning is a key piece of the solution; are we ready to trust it's optimisation of other tech and give up wasted energy and tech elsewhere.

I hope so, if necessary. Otherwise we are all moving to Antarctica and living off moss.
  • Probs the most important thing AI can do is getting the modelling and future predictions right, because right now it's way off. It's very complex and arguably only AI can do the modelling. Once we know the extent of the horror we can start to mitigate. 

Although training AI right now is expensive it wont always be the case as AI can do so much in designing new generations of chips and also designing more efficient renewable turbines, nuclear reactors, farming etc. The scope to improve efficiency is enormous. 

What we didn't do is make enough nuclear reactors which can take a decade or so to get online. Green parties across the globe were massively against this and it was a misstep. 

Right now it's all about the modelling. This shit needs to be sorted so we know what we're up against.
  • What we need right now and is doable (though expensive) is use tidal power. By definition a cubic meter of water weighs a metric tonne and the amount of energy provided could be huge. Not everywhere is suitable but Canada, UK, Russia and China sure are. Not only is it always on but it's extremely consistent in it's output. 

Christ we had water wheels 2000 yrs ago but chucked them in the bin when oil came along.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!