101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • Must apologise, I’m in a Mexican quite pissed.
    What's his name?
  • I'm with Hair, have got Andy / Liv confused a few times.

Not saying change, your dags are great, just adds a little more challenge to the forum for a the festive period :)
  • I'm not up a Mexican tho.
  • I stop recognising anyone from their avatars at Christmas. Have to actually look at your names. That extra effort is mildly annoying.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I stop recognising anyone from their avatars at Christmas. Have to actually look at your names. That extra effort is mildly annoying.

Innit
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    People bringing dogs to work. Only ok if you work at a vets.
    Or a pub
    No. Still not ok.
    Horses for courses, but some of my favourite pubs have a pub dog
    Dog on the roof?
    Windmill?? edit : As in Brixton, because that has just made me chuckle if that's what you mean

art19904nar-225x300.jpg
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    I stop recognising anyone from their avatars at Christmas. Have to actually look at your names. That extra effort is mildly annoying.
    Innit

Skerret's always daggy.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Nick's a bot.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Just sat here for 30 mins while pc boots up and windows applies the updates. Finally finished and login screen comes up, login, then fades to a “hi” screen, then tells me there’s some more fucking updates to apply. Jesus wept.
  • Same happening to me.  Turned my laptop on, "this will take a while".  Had a shower.  Now at 3%.  I just want to pay the decorator and I'm not doing it on this work laptop.
  • Why not on the work laptop, out of curiosity?

Or your smart phone?
  • Do we still say 'smart phone' btw? Seems outdated now. Just 'phone' probably.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Why not on the work laptop, out of curiosity? Or your smart phone?

Privacy I imagine. Unlikely does like to stay under the radar, understandably

Wow Moot, hahaa, the best roof dog
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Do we still say 'smart phone' btw? Seems outdated now. Just 'phone' probably.
    Device.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Why not on the work laptop, out of curiosity? Or your smart phone?
    Privacy I imagine. Unlikely does like to stay under the radar, understandably Wow Moot, hahaa, the best roof dog

Is that still the case when on your home network? If so my employers know a great deal about me. A great deal.

@Skez - smart device, gotcha.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    More than likely being as your machine might have keyloggers, as well as cookies, browser history etc
    All that stuff is device specific rather than network specific
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Well sure everyone knows how to avoid cookies and history for less than savory / nefarious antics. Not sure about key loggers but for some reason I doubt my place uses them, seems like something to do at larger companies where there isn't trust.

Now to go scrub this laptop...
  • cockbeard wrote:
    More than likely being as your machine might have keyloggers, as well as cookies, browser history etc All that stuff is device specific rather than network specific

Browser history, IP addresses visited, data collection, messages sent (via both webmail and your corporate client). All of these will be covered by your organisation’s IT useage policy, but I guarantee will be dragged out if there is ever a whiff of any wrongdoing on your part to sure up any HR cases.

Serious and genuine piece of advice...Basically never ever use your work devices for anything beyond a little light internet browsing or shopping. Phones and tablets are much more accessible these days anyway, so why take the risk.
  • Yar, that.

Also, my phone runs Android.  There's no way in hell it's getting my bank details.
  • Tbh I got this laptop 6 years ago when I started, 15 odd people in the company, simpler times. I'm not worried tbh, we're not really a corporate environment although I do use two different laptops when in the office itself (i.e. not this one).

I also have the HSBC app on my android, living on the edge boys! It'll be auto-erotic asphyxiation next.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have banking apps on my android too, no problem at all. 10 years ago I might have been suspicious but not anymore.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Every situation is different nick, and I'm not going to presume to know what your companies policies are. There are precedents that have been set, mostly coming under your right to private life outside work, even if you're at work, and what constitutes reasonable personal use of resources. However as harmless says, these would get dragged up if someone wants to manage you out of the business (as happened to me at Serco) and recourse is difficult even if they're in the wrong
  • Aye it's sound advice for sure.
  • Aye, I wouldn't worry too much in your specific case Nick due to your company history (and how good they have been with you). Large corporates and similar though...

Although saying that, one of my best friends used to just sack people (not for no reason!) and reach settlements if required based on the premise that it was cheaper than paying deadwood or troublemakers for the months it took to build watertight cases.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    JESUS CHRIST I just spent about 10 hours getting Unity to recognise and build to an S8, what a tedious clusterfuckaround.  BUT IT WORKS fuck u technlogy
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I now have little robits on my desk
  • I have been so looking forward to playing the new Xcom expansion when i came back to England for Christmas. After it took almost 6 hours to download, i got an error message-

"The program cant start because api-ms-win-crt-string-I1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

Okay wtf is that supposed to mean.

So i uninstall and then reinstall xcom 2, a process which takes another 9 fucking hours (longer than last time because previously i was only downloading the expansion). But i get the same error message again. So then i google the problem, and for some fucknig reason i cant even copy and paste that error message, and neither can i type it while its displayed, so i have to write it down on paper, click okay, and then open google to retype it all out.

Fortunately A list of solutions is provided. I follow the instructions carefully. This takes a while as im shit with computers. I have to dig out some files and uninstall them. So i do that, and then try running the game. But this time i have a new error message. So i google that, and the solution is to reinstall all the files i previously uninstalled, and for some reason i actually fucking do this and im right back to the beginning with the original error message.
  • Did you try the solution from stack overflow?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33265663/api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0-dll-is-missing-when-opening-microsoft-office-file

Surely you'd just need to locate the missing .dll?

9hr install is painful, hope you get it sorted pal.
  • Im not sure i can run any Windows update without a legit copy of Windows
  • You tried here?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

Found via 

Don't think you need a legit copy of windows to grab the updates.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!