101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • davyK wrote:
    I actually like the fact there is no background music in Lidl. It's probably just a cost cutting exercise but it creates a pleasant atmosphere.
    I was in a massive Tesco yesterday and they were blasting Gangnam Style at what seemed like an offensively loud volume.
  • No, they're streaming Radio 1 mate.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ah, you're the bakery rogerer then.

Erm. Not sure what you mean but those baguettes are nice.
  • Frozen Gyros meat from Lidl, when they do 'Greek Week' (they seem to be a permanent fixture in the bigger stores).  Fry from frozen for 8 minutes, add halved cherry tomatoes for a further couple of minutes of cooking.  Stuff in a pitta bread with some chopped red onion.  Makes about 5 plump tasty kebabs for £4ish.
  • I’ve tried it a few times but it’s pretty lame. Much better just doing it yourself. Isn’t fit to share the name with the stuff I had in Hungary.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What type of animal is a gyro?
  • Gyros is the name of the dish, not the meat. It can be anything really, but primarily chicken, pork or lamb.
  • I've been recommending this dish for years and haven't had a proper thumbs up yet.  I love it though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Gyros is the name of the dish, not the meat. It can be anything really, but primarily chicken, pork or lamb.

So it’s some sort of pigsheep bird. Got it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What surprised me about Lidl when I first looked in was the fact that the stuff is pretty good by and large contrary to what the impression I got of it was from the chattering classes. 

They also sell locally produced stuff. It ain't half bad at all. And when you get into the routine of shopping in the same place all the time (Tesco with us) it's nice just seeing different product lines.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I think a lot of people don't realise how much of the stuff British companies provide is shit and expensive. As a nation, we're terrible for being swayed by advertising and storefront appearance, accepting what we're given, or just complaining in totally ineffectual ways. I guess it's the same reason we're fucked government-wise.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And there are many brands that have long since been bought up (by American corps in the main) and are living off past glories as the quality is salamied gradually over the years.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    And there are many brands that have long since been bought up (by American corps in the main) and are living off past glories as the quality is salamied gradually over the years.

Ooh, brand loyalty is something that royally gets on my tits.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Salami D. It's low down on the salami scale.
  • davyK wrote:
    What surprised me about Lidl when I first looked in was the fact that the stuff is pretty good by and large contrary to what the impression I got of it was from the chattering classes.  They also sell locally produced stuff. It ain't half bad at all. And when you get into the routine of shopping in the same place all the time (Tesco with us) it's nice just seeing different product lines.
    Lidl/Aldi are crap for veg, but pretty good for meat. Germans innit, they love the sausage.
  • They’re great for veg in Scotland, we use our local over Morrison’s most of the time
  • I don't even have one near me. FeelsSurreyMan.

My Dad is basically a Lidl/Aldi ultra fanboi though, srsly they're like Nintendo for him.

He is all about their fried lentil curls and the kale crisps. Also has 25 gallons of their tonic water in the garage at all times so he never had to worry about running out for his many G&Ts of an evening.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I've always found Aldi and Lidl better for veg. It doesn't always last as long but tastes fine, is cheaper and doesn't come in ridiculous packs like a three pack of courgettes.

Their meat definitely has noticeably less water injected as well. Doing a stir fry with Tesco chicken often turns into a soup.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yes, but don't touch the roast nuts, or the bakery... Some customers do outrageous stuff with the stock. It's disgusting.
    Details please.  If the nuts contain traces of nuts I'm out. I like the freshly baked pizzas too, and the mini tiger loaf.

Kids picking their noses, and comparing fresh baked cookies with a cultured air, as their parents look on approvingly... Mouth full of nuts.

I'd have lived in ignorance if I didn't see it with my own eyes, because I was partial to both of those things.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I've always found Aldi and Lidl better for veg. It doesn't always last as long but tastes fine, is cheaper and doesn't come in ridiculous packs like a three pack of courgettes.

Their meat definitely has noticeably less water injected as well. Doing a stir fry with Tesco chicken often turns into a soup.

fist bump here, fucking three pack of courgettes, what the fuck world?
  • It ya boi 3 R Whites Lemonade and his friend 3 Magnum ice lollies.

Go fucking fuck yourself you corporate shits, you know we all want 4. Fucking 3. This is why people have smaller families, cos you only get 3 of shit in packets now instead of 4. What you think we can afford to buy two packs of things if we got two kids? You fucking pricks.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nah it’s the opposite mang, they put less in so you have to buy two packs. Like boxes of breakfast biscuts that have four in a pack, for all those people working four day weeks. Headtap capitalism.

edit: misread the end of your thing so dunno why I said it’s the opposite, gnnngh
  • Yeah I know, I'm saying that the cause of shrinking families are the response to this innit. People can't afford to buy two packs of things so they just sack off having the other kid.

I have to go now though, the bastard fucks have refused to make the Southbank Centre a listed building again so now its fucking riot o'clock down here. Pack of three pitchforks in the shop cos they don't sell individual pitchforks no mo. Am deadders rn.
  • Im an Aldi man. No time for Lidl.
    The fruit n veg in Aldi is fine, doesnt last as long as more premium shops but still perfectly fine.
    Most of the meat is good too. I get all my bottled water, ingredients, milk(the aldi supermilk rip off),butter n all that jazz in Aldi. But if I need brand name stuff its generally Tesco. (We have a gigantic Tesco Extra on our doorstep).
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I think there are other reasons for shrinking families like RENT (the thing, not the musical) but I defer to you, Rouj MD
  • Tempy wrote:
    I think there are other reasons for shrinking families like RENT (the thing, not the musical) but I defer to you, Rouj MD

No it's the supermarkets fo sho. Good effort though on the crippling property prices and implicit stagnation/real terms decline in both wages and disposable income though, tempy. A noble effort.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBH I never go to Lidl or Aldi for the simple fact that without a car I can’t get to either of them particularly easily. Sainsbury’s, Tesco (metro), Waitrose and M&S are all far more convenient so that’s where I go.
  • I don't go to Lidl or Aldi because I'm a goddamn snob.
  • Ocado bring my shopping to my house.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!