101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And there was me thinking I’d gone a bit too middle class with M&S and Waitrose.
  • I’ve never been to an Aldi or Lidl. I live in Surrey. I drive a BMW. I talk down to students whilst occasionally saying ‘when I was at school’.

Only posting that in case anyone had trouble thinking of things that get on their tits.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't think we have Aldi in NI. Certainly not as widespread. Sainsburys has little presence too - it's all about M&S, Tesco and Lidl.

Is it true that Aldi and Lidl are owned by 2 brothers who fell out and split the business?

edit: it seems not. Aldi split in two (North and South) but Lidl has a different owner.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Is it true that Aldi and Lidl are owned by 2 brothers who fell out and split the business?

Adidas and Puma.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's a couple of Aldis here but they're useless. You couldn't do a weeks shopping in one. They're full of weird chocolate and paprika crisps.
  • Kow wrote:
    There's a couple of Aldis here but they're useless. You couldn't do a weeks shopping in one. They're full of weird chocolate and paprika crisps.

So are the ones here, but apparently people love that shit.
  • Rubbish, you can quite easily do your weekly shop there, unless the Scottish stores are massively different.
  • Yeah the Irish Aldi's cover all bases.

A special mention must go to the Aldi Gin. Cant remember the name but its a green bottle with a white cap. Very reasonable price and lahvly.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • That won a professional blind taste test against some other, much more expensive gins iirc.
  • Probably called Gordans or something.

I think their whiskeys have won awards as well.
  • Yeah I think thats what got me to try it.
    Also the Tamova vodka is decent. Im far from a Vodak connoisseur though. When I drink its mainly Smirnoff.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Lot of tories outing themselves here. Noted.
  • Yet to find a decent beer in Aldi.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I miss those (well the Lays one, don't think I ever had the Aldi one). They have a whole aisle dedicated to crisps in most supermarkets here, but have never heard of the one flavour I actually care for.

I've spotted a couple of Aldi and Lidl signs next to the highways here, not in the area where I live though. Was surprised the first time, really should go in at some point to see if they're similar.

I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's, which looks like the perfect organic friendly store. I can get most of the things I need there, it's across the street so easy to walk and they don't have baggers. It's fairly basic in what they have (they don't have 10 different brands of chicken thighs, all varying in how healthy they are) so no time wasted comparing things.
    Second place are for Walmart (they have self scan check outs, but don't always work that great) and Pavilions (I'll have to deal with the baggers but they have the most beautiful cupcakes and muffins in display, plus rotisserie chicken). Last one is definitely posh, but it's big and has a nice selection of fresh meat and fish. I could even ask for certain cuts if I wanted to.

The baggers though, I'm really happy those people are being able to work, but they are so slow and not very good at it. It's often the only reason the next customer has to wait. You also need to be careful with what you buy, if it's something they really like you're stuck in a conversation about cookies.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I remember when I lived in Holland that paprika crisps were big. They're not bad, but a temporary itch rather than a staple.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Trader Joe's

Owned by Aldi it seems.

Aldi split in two when the bros couldn't agree on whether to sell cigarettes or not. It was amicable apparently - just a difference of opinion - so they split and agreed on which territorys they would cover to avoid competition. Trader Joe's is owned by one of the halves of Aldi. (North and South - so named from the parts of Germany they cover)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Aldi do big deals on rum on occasion too.  El Dorado 12yr for something silly like £22 one Christmas.  Plus Lidl do a massively drinkable premium bourbon* for £15.49, and a not-quite-as-good-but-not-bad Kraken imitation for £16.  

*not the biscuits, sorry Live.
  • Lidl Potato wedges are only 59p, and also superb.  They play a weak waffle game though, and oven chips in general really (they always need an extra 6-8 minutes for a start).
  • Kale and spinach are dirt cheap in there too, so I can do green mash or spinachy bolognese for an extra 79p-ish.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I remember when I lived in Holland that paprika crisps were big. They're not bad, but a temporary itch rather than a staple.
    Yeah, seems Holland is about the only country that cares about paprika crisps. Means there's at least something to look forward to if we go back.

@Davy, heh, that's kinda interesting. Trader Joe's doesn't feel like an Aldi at all, clearly a different target group. I do know that TJ sells a lot of own brand stuff, but most of that is just another general brand wrapped in different styling.

• You can get paprika Walkers Max around here, but then they're those shitty reconstituted crisps, so don't really count.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Lidl Potato wedges are only 59p, and also superb.  They play a weak waffle game though, and oven chips in general really (they always need an extra 6-8 minutes for a start).

Don't they always.
  • I'll shop lidl all day boys
  • My good foot twitchin'
  • Tempy wrote:
    A Lidl replaced a Wholefoods in Glasgow recently and people went barmy, it was great.

No it wasn't. I prefer Lidl but liked to have the option, which isn't there anymore. More specifically, WF sold Strianese tinned tomatoes.
  • I might ask Paesanos to sell me some.
  • Don't Peckhams up your way do them?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You have a shop in Glasgow named Peckhams? We don’t have a shop in Peckham called Peckhams. Nor one called Glasgows.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!