101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • Muffins are for breakfast, English Breakfast Muffins. Morrison's do cracking cheese ones that go amazingly well with marmite.
  • Don’t bring Marmite into this as well. We’ll never hear an end to it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We also have a malt loaf here.  The popular brand is Veda by Sunblest but they can also be bought loose on a bakery. They are God like.

Goes exceptionally well with cheese.

veda.jpg

veda-bread-loaf-a-malted-bread-sold-in-northern-ireland-C7X2JR.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm confused then, what do the English call a cake?

I've heard English people refer to a bun as a cake.

And what do you call a bun again?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Stotties are cakes.

I hadn't heard of Pikelets until last weekend, now it appears I can't move for the bastards.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
      I've heard English people refer to a bun as a cake.
    And what do you call a bun again?

:)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bun in NI = cupcake. But can mean anything close to that.

A doughnut for example - not a ring doughnut - which we call a gravy ring.
  • Here in North East Scotland, using the word ‘roll’ has traditionally referred to things also called rowies, butteries, Aberdeen rolls or morning rolls. I once encountered a Peterhead turnkey who called them ‘cookies’. People would also say “Aitken’s roll” after the chain of bakeries across the city that many (wrongly) asserted were the best rolls, but the company has been broken up under, um, unusual circumstances.

A bread roll has been traditionally referred to as a ‘Glasgow roll’ (crustier top) or a softy (softer bread, soft smooth top). We use the word bap occasionally, or buttie if the filling is chips, crisps, or (sometimes) bacon. We don’t use words like barm or batch.

The thing is, these days it’s generally just ‘roll’. It’s been a few years since I saw the words ‘Glasgow Roll’ on a packet and ‘softies’ is less frequent too. People have generally shifted to only using the less ambiguous ‘rowie’ or ‘buttery’, which only describe one thing.

Here, the word ‘muffins’ refer to a round bread roll with squidgier bread in the middle, and flat, thick, almost burned top and bottom (English muffin) or a large fluffy cupcake thing (American muffin).

Teacakes are like hot cross buns without the cross; sweeter than a standard bread roll, with spices and dried fruit.

Tunnock’s Teacakes, on the other hand...

Edit: Up here, ‘bun’ is only described to use a single portion thing. It’s a more generic coverall word for any bread roll, sweet or savoury. You wouldn’t be slicing up a bun here.
  • A black bun is an entire fruitcake wrapped in shortcrust pastry. No part of it is black. Unless you‘ve burned it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - we would have teacakes here that seem to be the same as the Scots.

Use of the word roll is creeping in here to usurp bap - that's probably more to do with the influx of English chains such as Tesco & Sainsburys who crawled over here and took over after 1998 when the ceasefire kicked in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    A black bun is an entire fruitcake wrapped in shortcrust pastry. No part of it is black. Unless you‘ve burned it.

I want one.
  • Confusingly, I once had a roll and buttery when I lived up in Aberdeen. That was nice.
  • Was the roll buttered as well? They like their butter up north.
  • It was, as was the buttery in all likelihood. I'd probably had a lot to drink the previous night.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Confusingly, I had a roll and buttery once when I lived up in Aberdeen. That was nice.

A buttery in a ‘normal’ bread roll? I’m assuming a well-fired, crispier buttery for a bit of contrast.

I still find that central belt “roll and...” an odd bit of grammar, I don’t know why.
  • At least butteries are self-descriptive. Although they’re quite flaky and pastry-like for a bread roll derivative.
  • Remember when we were all young and in love?
  • poprock wrote:
    At least butteries are self-descriptive. Although they’re quite flaky and pastry-like for a bread roll derivative.

I dunno. There’s no butter in them.
  • Andy wrote:
    I still find that central belt “roll and...” an odd bit of grammar, I don’t know why.

Because it is odd.

Subverts the dominant hierarchy of sandwich content over bread. Maybe around here the bread was historically more important than what you put in it?
  • Andy wrote:
    Confusingly, I had a roll and buttery once when I lived up in Aberdeen. That was nice.
    A buttery in a ‘normal’ bread roll? I’m assuming a well-fired, crispier buttery for a bit of contrast.

I think I had fired it through a toaster. I remember it hitting the spot, although that might have been the pre-heart attack psychosis setting in.

When I was up at the weekend my GF and I were considering the concept of an Aberdeen burger chain introducing a special that replaced the burger bun with two butteries. Call it something like the Kittybrewster Killer or the Fittie Fitbuster for bonus cred.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A guy in work who is from Aberdeen brought in a bag of what he called butteries once.  Were splendid. I remember thinking they would go well with bacon and a hangover.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Remember when we were all young and in love?

I don’t remember being young.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    When I was up at the weekend my GF and I were considering the concept of an Aberdeen burger chain introducing a special that replaced the burger bun with two butteries. Call it something like the Kittybrewster Killer of the Fittie Fitbuster for bonus cred.

There’s a place has already done that. Someone I know who finds it sacrilegious that I put things like jam or Nutella on butteries sent me photos of a menu for a place doing bread and buttery pudding. The same place was doing burgers in butteries. In fact, it might have even been Boozy Cow.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

A lemon polenta cake.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    In this thread, donuts are called gravy rings and you have jam on your Yorkie puds. Sickening.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is the best thread we’ve had on this forum for months, BTW.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Lick my gravy ring.
  • You sure them yorkshires with jam/ice cream aren't Dutch Babies?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm very confused. And hungry. Although I have absolutely no clue how anything would look like that you're talking about.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!