Reasons to be cheerful
  • :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FFS!
  • Andy wrote:
    Someone told me once Union st had the most fights of any street in Europe.

Two things I’d say: the first is that I think that’s an old stat; when I worked city centre, we got the purple flag award for it being a safe place to go out.

The second thing I’d say is that it’s a mile long and, until recently, served as the main spot for shopping, nightlife, and all bus routes came through it. It is (or was) very much the focal point of the city.

g.man wrote:
    It's quite nice where I am tbh Andy. Residence Inn off Union St. Christmas market right outside. Pubs, coffee shops and restaurants right on my doorstep. M&S foodhall round the corner.
    Bit of a result so far really. £200 for three nights in a studio suite, cos rooms are cheap as chips at Christmas.

Ah, yes, the new development is decent. I’m looking at your hotel from my desk.

That sounds creepier than it was meant to.

Come for a pint!
  • Sorry, fella, I’m already home. Next time.
  • Nae bother. Raincheck.
  • Finally home. Big Fat Quiz Of The Year on the telly, and a big fat vodka and soda in my hand. Two days off now to look forward to. :)

knackered but content

g.man
  • I forgot about Big Fat quiz so holding off for plus1.

Top efforts g. Relax and enjoy.
  • Cheers mate!
  • A big plate of white peppery bubble & squeak, with eggs and bacon.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hopefully getting a replacement for my phone which refuses to charge sensibly!
  • Was going to post something like this in the 101 things thread yesterday: 

When you're not really enjoying a book but you're too invested to ditch it even though you know you'd prefer to read something else.

But I've done it anyway and I'm much happier for it.  Farewell Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen, hello A Drink With Shane MacGowan by his wife.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm enjoying Pale Fire, but not feeling in the right mental place to properly make the most of it

So I've moved on to What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, which I've had on my shelf for ages but now finally have a reason to read
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyway, I came in here to say back at work (boo, obviously), but the rest of my team are all off so no pesky questions from minions distracting me from internet browsing (woo)
  • Well Jimmy played harmonica in the pub where I was born
    He played it from the night time to the peaceful early morn
    He soothed the souls of psychos and the men who had the horn
    And they all looked very happy in the morning
    Now Jimmy didn't like his place in this world of ours
    Where the elephant man broke strong men's necks
    When he'd had too many powers
    So sad to see the grieving of the people that he's leaving
    And he took the road for god knows in the morning
    We walked him to the station in the rain
    We kissed him as we put him on the train
    And we sang him a song of times long gone
    Though we knew that we'd be seeing him again
    (Far away) sad to say I must be on my way
    So buy me beer and whiskey 'cause I'm going far away (far away)
    I'd like to think of me returning when I can
    To the greatest little boozer and to Sally Maclennane
    The years passed by the times had changed I grew to be a man
    I learned to love the virtues of sweet Sally Maclennane
    I took the jeers and drank the beers and crawled back home at dawn
    And ended up a barman in the morning
    I played the pump and took the hump and watered whiskey down
    I talked of whores and horses to the men who drank the brown
    I heard them say that Jimmy's making money far away
    And some people left for heaven without warning
    When Jimmy came back home he was surprised that they were gone
    He asked me all the details of the train that they went on
    Some people they are scared to croak but Jimmy drank until he choked
    And he took the road for heaven in the morning
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    FAR AWAY!
  • Given up with Christmas shopping and decided the money could be put to better use, so gave big tips to all the girls who work in the coffee shop I frequent, and an envelope full of cash to a homeless girl down Byres Road instead.
    I was walking down Byres Road today juggling my coffee and phone when I was interrupted by a small voice behind me. "Excuse me!?" it said.
    Awakened from my fug, I realised it was the homeless girl I gave the money to before Christmas. 
    I won't lie. I'd seen her around since then and had been disappointed to see she was still on the streets begging, because in my middle class privileged position, like so many of us, I like to think I can change the world just by throwing money at it. The realisation that this is of course nonsense had been a minor kick in the balls, but hey, you do what you can.

"Was it you that gave me the envelope of money at Christmas?" she asked.

I blushed. "Might have been."

"I thought so," she replied. "I just wanted to say thank you for doing such a lovely thing. I used the money to pay for five nights in the hostel over Christmas, and it was just wonderful!" she beamed.

This had actually been my hope all along. I knew how much it cost her for a night in the hostel and had hoped she'd be savvy enough to spend the money I'd given her on exactly what she did.

"I'm just glad you managed to find a good use for it," I said to her.

We both smiled, and with that I went on my way.

I guess that if there's a moral to this tale it's that while you can't change the world just by throwing money at it's problems, Christmas especially is a difficult time for people from all walks of life, and maybe in some small way, we can all help to make a difference to the lives of those around us.

So while the gift had made me feel like a decent human being for five minutes, she got five nights accommodation out of it, and it's the smile on her face I won't forget for a long time.

somewhat humbled

g.man
  • Top work with that g.
    Glad she made the most of it.
  • Yup, that's always the gamble in these situations. You can present people with what you think is an opportunity, but what they actually do with that opportunity is going to be down to them.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    You put a smile on my face too g.man. Top tier human.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yup, from what I've seen over the years you're a generous soul, keep up the good work.
  • This Irish Nashville Country/Irish Irish country kick I'm on really tickles my funnybone. I'm multiple hours deep on YouTube, to the point where it's become part of my drink day routine - everything leads up to these videos. I actually enjoy them just as much as I'm laughing at them.
  • Nice one G! Thanks for sharing.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Mobile internet connection in remote places. It doesn't happen much on this side of Arran but it's nice to peek in here when it does.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Surprise till bargains.

On Saturday, thought I was buying a new coat for £90 but it scanned as £30. Total bargain.

And then yesterday, a £28 tee was unexpectedly £15 and then unexpectedly half price so £7.50. Happy days.
  • Same! Took a hoody to the till in H&M, marked at 22, scanned at a tenner! Noice!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Given up with Christmas shopping and decided the money could be put to better use, so gave big tips to all the girls who work in the coffee shop I frequent, and an envelope full of cash to a homeless girl down Byres Road instead.
    I was walking down Byres Road today juggling my coffee and phone when I was interrupted by a small voice behind me. "Excuse me!?" it said. Awakened from my fug, I realised it was the homeless girl I gave the money to before Christmas.  I won't lie. I'd seen her around since then and had been disappointed to see she was still on the streets begging, because in my middle class privileged position, like so many of us, I like to think I can change the world just by throwing money at it. The realisation that this is of course nonsense had been a minor kick in the balls, but hey, you do what you can. "Was it you that gave me the envelope of money at Christmas?" she asked. I blushed. "Might have been." "I thought so," she replied. "I just wanted to say thank you for doing such a lovely thing. I used the money to pay for five nights in the hostel over Christmas, and it was just wonderful!" she beamed. This had actually been my hope all along. I knew how much it cost her for a night in the hostel and had hoped she'd be savvy enough to spend the money I'd given her on exactly what she did. "I'm just glad you managed to find a good use for it," I said to her. We both smiled, and with that I went on my way. I guess that if there's a moral to this tale it's that while you can't change the world just by throwing money at it's problems, Christmas especially is a difficult time for people from all walks of life, and maybe in some small way, we can all help to make a difference to the lives of those around us. So while the gift had made me feel like a decent human being for five minutes, she got five nights accommodation out of it, and it's the smile on her face I won't forget for a long time.   somewhat humbled g.man

This is a rather challenging post. One can easily deal with the guilt of homeless people by inwardly stating that they are there either by choice or as a result of mental health and/or substance abuse related problems and giving them money wouldn't help.

This has been consolidated in my mind by a relatively recent local BBC radio piece about Belfast homeless with volunteers asking people not to give them money; asking instead to hand out food since cash would only make the problem worse. There are also apparently more volunteers than homeless people in Belfast - a fact I find hard to believe.

I have given a large handful of shrapnel to homeless in the past but I always felt I'd been had. I tend to be a soft touch especially when it's a girl.

This story challenges that mindset - and that is a good thing. I applaud you Sir.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've always found that advice to give homeless people food instead of money very condescending. Just lump them all together and presume they're all junkies and not capable of making any decisions themselves. Besides, if you think giving a heroin addict a sandwich instead of a coin is helping anyone, I'd say you'd be mistaken.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Indeed.

An awful lot of people want to help but don't know what is best. So it's easier to walk on past and do nothing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!