Reasons to be cheerful
  • So my 100 free cd haul from the cabbie a few weeks ago didn't really work out for me (The Pogues live album attached to a best of was fun though), BUT, the 100 vinyl album haul I picked up from retroking's missus yesterday looks like a win.  Singing Detective soundtrack is go, I only started rewatching that last week so there's a lovely coincidence.  Tom Waits' Big Time, some Christy Moore, a little bit of Mellencamp, a couple of Morricone scores, Mona Lisa & Full Metal Jacket soundtracks, plus some more TV themes and loads more to go through :thumbs up:. 

Also, I now finally own one of those Dougal sound effects albums.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    z3pInyK.jpg
    I picked this one up last weekend, it's a v-strom 650. Rode it home that day, but everything was still really new and I have never ridden with such knobby tires before. Took it for a little trip to the library today, and I couldn't be happier. I used to have a Transalp in Amsterdam, but decided to go for a HD Sportster, to do it the American way here. While that thing sounds incredibly badass, and I've had some fun with it, it's just not that easy to ride, despite what people say about the Sportster. It never really felt mine, and it took me over 2 years to admit that I just wasn't enjoying it that much.

Not to say that it didn't take me to some beautiful places.
    g9r1Ay3.jpg

It's still hard to completely let go for it, we'll probably keep it for a while as a back-up, as a friend of ours likes to ride as well, but doesn't have the space for a bike.
  • Bikes win. If I lived in California I'd have at least one and no car.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    A lot of people are scared of riding here, I know a few people that gave up riding when they moved to California / USA.

We currently have 3 bikes and 1 Jeep. A lot of fun to be had.
  • Riding here scares the shit out of me.
    My Auntie lost her son a couple of years ago, just commuting to work and some cunt pulled out on on him in her Range Rover while on the phone. She got away with it as well, good lawyers.

Likewise a primary school friend lost his best friend. I dont trust car drivers here.
  • California though. It'd be a crime to not bike. The risks are worth it imo.
  • If I was in Cali I would be all over a One Wheel.

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Riding here scares the shit out of me. My Auntie lost her son a couple of years ago, just commuting to work and some cunt pulled out on on him in her Range Rover while on the phone. She got away with it as well, good lawyers. Likewise a primary school friend lost his best friend. I dont trust car drivers here.
    Drivers aren't great here either, but there also pretty slow to start near traffic lights etc, so fairly predictable. You learn the tells of bad drivers quite quickly while riding a bike. It's always dangerous, crossing the street while walking is also something that still feel unnatural here, same goes for cycling.

The worst I've seen was someone reading a magazine while on the highway. She just had that laying over her steering wheel.
  • I've said for years that driving is at best a secondary action in the U.S.

I remember watching some random documentary/reality TV (may even be Louis Theroux) where some American woman was on her phone, holding a coffee and had a monkey climbing over her face all while driving.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ooh, I haven't seen a monkey yet. Plenty of people with a dog in their lap though.

Maybe I should have a monkey. Could work on the bike as well.
  • Monkey on a bike is a totally different story, I can only imagine that improves concentration.
  • Back in September, eyebrows were raised in the camera operating fraternity, when this piece was published on the BBC Sport Scotland website, about how Kick-Ass co-creator Mark Millar was investing in AI camera technology to cover lower league football games in Scotland.
    This is of course not good news for anyone in the industry, so we've been keeping a watchful eye on this cunt.
    So it transpires he's entered into a partnership with the shitheels at the SPFL, whereby he produces this coverage for them, and then the SPFL flogs it as PPV to the fans for £10 a match.
    Being a complete shower of cunts though, the SPFL also take the same footage and sell it internationally as betting streams. Anything to make a quick buck really.

Anyway, imagine our collective joy when we saw the AI footage of last weekend's Inverness v Ayr Utd match. Rather than following the play, the AI instead spent the entire match tracking the bald head of the linesman, and missed virtually everything that happened on the pitch.
    It's just glorious.

Finally, Scottish football is trending worldwide. Mission accomplished SPFL.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Haha.
    Fucksake.

Mate what you do is an artwork and AI is a long long way off replacing it (although I get that doesn't help when idiots contract it).

I have been through similar scenarios with my work where it has been declared "dead" by multiple excited outlets. Doesnt work out that way of course because the algorithm can't do the nuance. Tech pushes us harder, enables us to be better but ultimately you need that human eye.

Its the funk, computers can't do the funky off beats. We all unknowingly want error.
  • That's amazing g! Mandatory beanies for umps from now on? :P

I think every industry is "threatened by AI" but the human touch is so important that I don't believe it to be true. People say my job will be done by AI one day but, personally, I wouldn't want a computer to be solely in charge when a thunderstorm rolls through and planes are going everywhere.

AI is a good helper but it should rarely be the only operator.

Bike looks sweet Nina. Look forward to your road trip photos!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    As I don't know anything about football I could possibly believe that's where the camera should be pointing. He must be the most important guy on the pitch, I suppose. I mean he has a flag and everything.
  • This just gets better and better.
    With the US elections currently underway, you would expect that every hacker on the planet worth their salt would be prioritising that as a target.
    Apparently not. Seems there's a shady cabal of internet hackers that are instead targeting lower league Scottish football, because that's what really matters in the world today.
    What a time to be alive!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • This is all hilarious. Thanks for making me smile on a shitty morning, G!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My hangover has gone now I've started drinking again. Brewdog 7.2% stuff is not to be taken lightly. Mainly it's knowing it's that strong beforehand as opposed to feeling a pissed and then checking the tin afterwards.
  • I find it amazing that the article talks about making it cheaper than a camera operator like that doesn't mean it's taken away a person's job.
    A professional person who has trained and practiced to capture the best footage. Nah just throw that away for a robot.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And they could still use that tech with a professional camera operator. Use the ai to stabilise the image, improve the auto focus, predict shifts in movement so it can preempt changes in exposure etc. You could then still sell it saying it will improve coverage, rather than putting people out of a job.
  • A nice slice of Victoria Sponge.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AI and images is a tricky thing. I was told by someone in Microsoft that during early trials of AI they were using it focus on whoever was speaking at a meeting in video confererencing and one gen of the code kept tracking on a cactus that was in the room. :)

Early days though - but I can't see them ever taking the risk of missing something on televised sport - there will be human operators of something like that for a long time. We will see AI playing the game at that point. :)

As @GooberTheHat says - I can see it enhancing an operator's skills.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Have you ever used Microsoft Teams? It can’t reliably keep track of a big head against a plain wall and regularly crops the person talking right out of the picture.
  • I've just discovered that the Indy films are all on Prime.  That's made my day considerably less shit.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Really? Hmm. I wonder if they're Elliott suitable. I'm guessing not, although I probably watched them at his age.

Hmm.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That first Indy film is a true great.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Absolutely, but Raiders has some horrific moments though.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I really want to watch them with E but I'm guessing five is too young to see the flesh melt of someone's face.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The end would be bad and the well of souls.

Then again the sacrifice in Temple of Doom was hardly family viewing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!