Reasons to be cheerful
  • It's not a pub unless it has horse racing as a permanent fixture. And a meat raffle aye.
  • I've said my piece.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    It's not a pub unless it has horse racing as a permanent fixture. And a meat raffle aye.

In the Maypole Bar, the TV (which was until a few years ago still a hulking CRT with a faded tube) was usually only turned on when there was a horse race on.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • nick_md wrote:
    It's not a pub unless it has horse racing as a permanent fixture. And a meat raffle aye.

Sounds awful

• Some non regulars complained once that the football was on the far away TV, not the main one (which had horse racing on). They made a big song and dance about how horse racing was shit, the barmaid told them to shut up or leave. They said they'd bought drinks and can say what they like, she goes "drink your drink, shut up or fuck off". They huffed and puffed, downed their pints then left, all the regulars cheered. Love that place.
  • I don't even like horse racing in particular but I love that it's their thing (there's always a table of old Irish fellas in the corner and Gaelic football memorabilia above the bar). They have a framed drawing of a champion horse's face on the wall that I find hilarious.
  • davyK wrote:
    Last pint I had....September 2020. Maypole Bar, Holywood, Co. Down. Christ.

lKy5tVC.jpg

You may enjoy (or may not) the shit London Guinness twitter/Instagram accounts, e.g.:

https://www.instagram.com/shitlondonguinness/

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One quick glance was enough to induce flashbacks of my year in England 1989-90.  That one with the honeycomb head. Memories.

I remember getting a passable pint in Kilburn during a work visit to London in the mid-90s. Everything else has been hideous.

I just don't bother any more. I only drink it in certain pubs in Belfast too. The South remains a safe bet no matter where you go.  The Maypole Bar is on a par with the South but it can vary depending on atmospheric conditions. Their kegs are in a tiny courtyard at the centre of the building. I doubt the sun hits it for any appreciable time at all as the beer is cool even in Summer. Their pipes are short which is also a requirement.

For the record. Belfast pubs with davyK seal of approval:-

White's Tavern
    The Garrick
    Bittles
    The Errigle *
    The Pavilion *
    The Parador *
    Maddens
    Morning Star

* are out of city centre. All 3 are clustered near the top of the Ormeau Rd - a main arterial route in/out of the city.

Also - we are still in lockdown - so this list is with that qualifier. There may be other good ones but these are ones I drink in.

Do not consider a pint of Guinness in The Crown Bar a litmus test. It is fucking dreadful in there and is a touristy hole nowadays.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Some non regulars complained once that the football was on the far away TV, not the main one (which had horse racing on). They made a big song and dance about how horse racing was shit, the barmaid told them to shut up or leave. They said they'd bought drinks and can say what they like, she goes "drink your drink, shut up or fuck off". They huffed and puffed, downed their pints then left, all the regulars cheered. Love that place.

The Maypole is family owned. At one point by 3 brothers, two of whom were in particular fairly hostile to any "characters" wanting to change things up.

A group of ladies on entering on one occasion were thrown out before they even sat down. They were told that all the men here were married and this wasn't a pick up joint.

A lady who sat on her husband's knee one night was thrown out. Her husband was not.

Three English soldiers (Holywood is a garrison town) off duty asked for "lager top" once. (They shouldn't have been there as they were only allowed to drink in one place in Holywood- called the Seahorse Inn which was the waterhole for squaddies and locals who wanted a punch up). After explaining what it was they were served it. Then they were told to drink up and piss off and that it was no wonder people were shooting at them if that is what they drank.

Someone asked for vodka and lucozade. They were chucked out and directed to the ice cream parlour up the street.

Someone was refused service because they weren't drinking quickly enough. Have seen that several times.

One brother bought the other two out and he has mellowed now - but at it's peak their antics provided ample entertainment.
  • davyK wrote:
    Do not consider a pint of Guinness in The Crown Bar a litmus test. It is fucking dreadful in there and is a touristy hole nowadays.

A very pretty pub though.

- Signed, poprock. A tourist.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My uncle took me to the crown bar and it was the most dreadful thing ever. I far preferred preferred more *colourful* bars to that.

Although that being said the best night out I ever had was with my cousin T where we went to a pub with big tricolour in the back. Woke up on the pool table the next morning and had more money in my pocket than I went in with.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    A very pretty pub though. - Signed, poprock. A tourist.

It's gorgeous. It is one of the last remaining examples of a Victorian gin palace. Those lights are still gas powered etc. and it is listed and part of the National Trust.

But it has gone very touristy. I've found the service not great and the Guinness to be indifferent. It is still worth a visit - I just wouldn't rate the local Guinness on what you get there.  One of the joys of it are the snugs. If there are 2 or 3 of you in on , you can expect to be joined by another party and you usually end up having great conversations - esp. if tourists are joined by locals. I just wish they kept the standards up re service and Guinness.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    My uncle took me to the crown bar and it was the most dreadful thing ever. I far preferred preferred more *colourful* bars to that. Although that being said the best night out I ever had was with my cousin T where we went to a pub with big tricolour in the back. Woke up on the pool table the next morning and had more money in my pocket than I went in with.

If you end up in a local pub with a local resident which is a rarity nowadays as the troubles destroyed the local pubs - kinetically and commercially, you will have a great time.

Maddens recreates that experience quite well. It is still a "local" pub and off the beaten track but it's a gem of a place.
  • davyK wrote:
    Last pint I had....September 2020. Maypole Bar, Holywood, Co. Down. Christ. lKy5tVC.jpg

Oh man, I've stopped drinking at home because nothing comes close to the 8 pints of creamy Guinness I had on the last day the pubs were open here. :(
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I rarely touch beer at home. Nothing like proper draft. The occasional can of lager or a good bottle of something European from time to time but that's it.
  • My local independent betting shop, which carried the slogan 'where everyone's a winner!', has closed down.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They obviously didn't understand the concept.
  • I should really get a photo
  • Oh absolutely. :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck bookies.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I once dated a bookie. She was very nice so...
    Spoiler:
  • what are the odds on that, eh?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Spread betting?
  • Legend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-56858188

"After being aggressive to one pupil, he kissed the boy's forehead and told him "you're all right"".
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Glad to see nothing’s changed.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • At least it wasn't a trip to the Vatican.
  • I used to dislike Apple but they have the best business model of any of the big tech companies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56831241
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    At least Apple actually make and sell something. Remember when people used to do that?
  • I wouldnt get too far up Apples arse.
    They have their own issues particularly around repair and redundancy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm no Apple fan - have no worries about that. I like their Macs but they can shove their phones, watches, TVs etc up their arse.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!